need new longlasting webhost

isten. ok i have just had this streak of incredibly bad luck with hosts lately.

i need a new host that will last me longer than a few months. no overselling, i want to see legitimate proof that the host has been around for a long time and has shown that they've got their feet on solid ground and isn't run by a bunch of hackjobs. i don't want to deal with excessive downtime or shady business operations.

i mean is it possible anymore to have a host that lasts longer than a month without some kind of stupid problem? i dont' want to spend more than 10 bucks a month, and all i need is like a gig of webspace and no less than 40gb of transfer, i think that's extremely reasonable. if you don't think so don't bother telling me.

i just want some recommendations from people who know what they're talking about. i am not about to go out and pick on my own once again only to see my site pummeled and thrown in a trash bin .

Your request seems reasonable enough. Is cpu usage the problem that's been affecting you the most?
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

the problem that has been affecting me the most is crappy webhosts that look professional on the surface but dont' deliver, that's all.

I guess it's very important to have a good host because it's a half of your success that's why I'd advise you to use ********.com or Imposted.com

Well, the only way you're going to find out anything about a host is by requesting proof of everything. This includes

Support -- E-mail/Open a Ticket with support and see how quickly you get a response back
    Uptime -- Ask for proof, any good host invests in some kind of tracking just in case servers go down, etc.
    Overselling -- Although this doesn't always prove if a host is overselling or not, ask for a test file -- hosts that don't oversell usually have better download speeds...this shows that there is not too many accounts on a server or there is proper load balancing in place.

I wish you much luck with your search, it's definately very frustrating.

What are your requeriments in space, bandwidth, control panel, OS?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nata2006
    I guess it's very important to have a good host because it's a half of your success that's why I'd advise you to use ********.com or Imposted.com
    Have you used these hosts? If so what domains do you have hosted with them?

Quote Originally Posted by rtil
    the problem that has been affecting me the most is crappy webhosts that look professional on the surface but dont' deliver, that's all.
    What pixelized asked is important. If your website is very cpu intensive, even 10$/month wont' find you a good host.

If your looking for reliability then www.hostgator.com would definatley be my choice. And they dont oversell (if they do its only very controlled overselling)

Quote Originally Posted by One Echo
    and they dont oversell (if they do its only very controlled overselling)
    Hmm... that sounds like a contradiction in terms - either they do oversell or they don't - there's no middle ground. Also, I'd like to point out that once a host starts overselling - it really can't be controlled/contained due to a large degree, especially when dealing in the reseller and pseudo-reseller hosting space due to the unpredictability of it's users.

Also, while they may not oversell diskspace/bandwidth (I can't say either way, I've never been a customer), what about CPU? That's generally the most important factor within the whole hosting equation. If you take a look at some of the threads where someone was suspended/cancelled due to resource abuse - 9 times out of 10 it's due to overusage of CPU resources.

Just my $0.02 cents.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    Hmm... that sounds like a contradiction in terms - either they do oversell or they don't - there's no middle ground.
    I disagree here, this can be controlled -- you can oversell with disk and bandwidth but if you keep the CPU usage low (< 1%) I believe that it becomes a win win situation. Although the one exception with this is HEAVILY oversold disk and bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    I disagree here, this can be controlled -- you can oversell with disk and bandwidth but if you keep the CPU usage low (< 1%) I believe that it becomes a win win situation. Although the one exception with this is HEAVILY oversold disk and bandwidth.
    Technically, you may be right - but I'm speaking semantically only.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

IMO only but your title says:
    "need new longlasting webhost" but look at your history. You might need to ask yourself this question: how much space and bandwidth do you REALLY NEED?
    If you browse these very forums just look at the "complaints" from people who thought they were getting a really good deal for hosting. A HUGE percent are back here complaining that either they got suspended for using 1/4 of their allotted resources OR the host took their 10 bucks and ran and then decided that 10 bucks just didnt sustain that company long enough to actually support the paying client
    Im glad we can all agree to "disagree" in this forum but honestly IMO your request isn't reasonable!
    <snip>
    i dont' want to spend more than 10 bucks a month, and all i need is like a gig of webspace and no less than 40gb of transfer, i think that's extremely reasonable.
    <end snip>
    My question to you as a webhost: What in the heck are you hosting?

I wont argue the point that it CAN'T be found, but finding it is going to put you through what you've already been through. You will be host-hopping from now on.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Hmm, Martie I usually agree with you, but this time I'll have to disagree. For 1 GB of Space and 40 GB of transfer, $10/mo is reasonable (unless the site uses a lot of resources).

Hmm... that sounds like a contradiction in terms - either they do oversell or they don't - there's no middle ground. Also, I'd like to point out that once a host starts overselling - it really can't be controlled/contained due to a large degree, especially when dealing in the reseller and pseudo-reseller hosting space due to the unpredictability of it's users.
    That's not correct, you can move customers using more CPU resources to an idle server, you can control overselling.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

This is the most common type of thread at WHT. There are proven hosts here with outstanding ethics. Unfortunately for every good host there seems to be 3 bad hosts. Do a search on some of the hosts that have been around for a while. Sometimes the less said about them (long term hosts) the better they are.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated
    Server Administration - 24/7 Support - Phone & Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM - A+ BBB Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    IMO only but your title says:
    "need new longlasting webhost" but look at your history. You might need to ask yourself this question: how much space and bandwidth do you REALLY NEED?
    If you browse these very forums just look at the "complaints" from people who thought they were getting a really good deal for hosting. A HUGE percent are back here complaining that either they got suspended for using 1/4 of their allotted resources OR the host took their 10 bucks and ran and then decided that 10 bucks just didnt sustain that company long enough to actually support the paying client
    Im glad we can all agree to "disagree" in this forum but honestly IMO your request isn't reasonable!
    <snip>
    i dont' want to spend more than 10 bucks a month, and all i need is like a gig of webspace and no less than 40gb of transfer, i think that's extremely reasonable.
    <end snip>
    My question to you as a webhost: What in the heck are you hosting?

I wont argue the point that it CAN'T be found, but finding it is going to put you through what you've already been through. You will be host-hopping from now on.
    i don't run some mega corporation, i'm just an artist and i want a place to host my cartoons and art. i get no more than 500 unique hits a day, and i only need like 40-50 gb of bandwidth on a heavy month's load.
    i'd say paying more than 10 bucks for that is a rip-off considering what some of my friends are paying.

i'd say paying more than 10 bucks for that is a rip-off considering what some of my friends are paying.
    Which brings the obvious question - Why are you looking for hosting rather than using who your friends use? Answer that and people may be able to help you find a host that fits your needs.

I just told you.
    I need a host that can handle around 500 unique hits a day, 40gb of bandwidth/mo and an invision power board with a small userbase.
    i don't understand why that is so difficult to be hosting for under $10/mo.

i need a new host that will last me longer than a few months. no overselling
    ok

i don't want to deal with excessive downtime or shady business operations.

i dont' want to spend more than 10 bucks a month, and all i need is like a gig of webspace and no less than 40gb of transfer

and there is your problem

i think that's extremely reasonable. if you don't think so don't bother telling me.
    lol - ok - so you have constantly bought those specs with that pricing and have had nothing but problems - you then come to wht and say that you have had nothing but bad experiences and you want the same deal but with better quality and dont bother telling you differently?

Well, the flip side of that is expecting reliable, sustainable SERVICE for under $10/month is possible - and I guess it exists in some situations - but, generally speaking, you may want to look at spending a bit more - this is a service after all, not a widget - and good service (although there are exceptions) costs more then bad service...

If your friends are paying so little and are so happy with their service, why are you here asking for recommendations - use one of the hosts they are using

Can't help you on your desired price.

But, for everything else you desire, see www.pair.com

The server I'm on has been up for 238 days & loads are usually low.

i don't run some mega corporation, i'm just an artist and i want a place to host my cartoons and art. i get no more than 500 unique hits a day, and i only need like 40-50 gb of bandwidth on a heavy month's load.

Then with all due respect - why not ask them for a referel?

To allude to the fact that your friends are getting inexpensive hosting, and still get 40-50 GB of transfer; that puts up a red-flag for me instantly.

Transfer runs around 0.50-1.00 USD/GB for the end-user cost. Seriously - that's the price of good bandwidth.

If your friends are not paying in excess of 40 USD/mth, then something is fishy. Have they ever tried to use that much? How is the throughput?

If you want to get an inexpensive account then you will get inexpensive quality. The problem I see more and more in the industry is the consumer does not realize what the pirces for good hosting SHOULD be. They are so used to all the marketing from budget hosts that they forgot that sure, you can get hosting for a cheap monthly price, but you are not entitled to quality or reliability at that price.
    Last edited by utropicmedia-karl; 09-19-2006 at 10:43 AM.

I have no idea.
    I just don't have a lot of money, and I really can't afford things like 30-40 dollars a month for that kind of stuff. Is that not cheap or is that still crap quality? All you guys are telling me is that i'm a cheapskate. Sorry, but I don't know a lot about the industry. What kind of price range am I looking at for a gig or two of space, 40gb of bandwidth and a handful of mySQL databases with phpMyAdmin?

I have no idea.
    I just don't have a lot of money, and I really can't afford things like 30-40 dollars a month for that kind of stuff. Is that not cheap or is that still crap quality? All you guys are telling me is that i'm a cheapskate. Sorry, but I don't know a lot about the industry. What kind of price range am I looking at for a gig or two of space, 40gb of bandwidth and a handful of mySQL databases with phpMyAdmin?
    rtil -

I did not mean to come off harsh - it is very important that people that purchase anything they rely upon to educate themselves before they get in unexpected situations.

In a nutshell, features are standard across webhosts: things like email accounts, sql, etc. are fluff. For a webhost, the cost for one email account is the same as 1000 email accounts. What you need to look at are the commodities: disk space and transfer. You should expect to pay ~5.00USD/GB/mth for disk space and ~1.00USD/GB/mth for bandwidth. If that sounds expensive it's because you have your expectations set by companies that offer you the kind of service you have recieved. This puts you in a very difficult position becuase you think hosting is cheap - instead the reality is the services you have recieved are cheap.

[removed site link]

Regards,
    Last edited by bear; 09-20-2006 at 02:16 PM.