Comments on moving Business - Shared, VPS, Dedicated?

I need to move a new business to a new server. They have three domains and want to run a small online store. One domains will be lightly used, one will have many file uploads, and the store need the usual disk space and some SSL support.

I have seen many shared hosting options that fit their disk and bandwidth needs. The VPS options are more expensive and also offer much less disk space and bandwidth. The main issue with a shared option is response time and security. I know that many VPS system should be more load balanced, so response is less of an issue.

Also, they need to use SSL to take CC info. and I know that shared and VPS systems use an Shared SSL issues. Are there any data theft issue with Shared SSL vs. the dedicated IP SSL?

The main issue is how to determine if shared or VPS is the best option.

Comments or pointers to online information about this subject

Thanks

It sounds like shared hosting is the way to go.. Perhaps a reseller account so you can manage each of the 3 domains as independant accounts. A shared SSL Cert would be fine, however I have never really liked sending people away from my domain during a checkout process. SSL Certs really don't cost to much a year, and getting a dedicated IP for one of the sites shouldn't cost more than $1.00 to $2.00 / month.

The only things that would justify the need for a VPS or Dedicated is really busy sites, sites that are CPU intensive, or sites that have abnormal disk space or bandwidth needs.

Question: How much space and bandwidth do the sites need?
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

I think you should go with a VPS. As you said

"I have seen many shared hosting options that fit their disk and bandwidth needs. The VPS options are more expensive and also offer much less disk space and bandwidth."
    Most shared hosting oversell their resources and thats a downside for a business website because downtime will be expected soon.. With VPS, you will be more in control of the resources and you can manage the server easily so as your websites. A little investment is worth than jeopardizing your website's integrity. Besides there are a lot of affordable VPS' there from recognized providers..

Zac Louie
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Honestly there is nothing in the OP's post that would indicate the need for anything more than a shared hosting account.

1 of the sites will be a small online store. Small online stores do not need a VPS. SSL can be obtained on shared as well.

1 will have many file uploads. Ok, so this may be grounds for a VPS or dedicated depending on the file size. Maybe though, that site will just be used to upload 1000 15kb images. The thing is, without the OP telling us... we don't know.

1 domain will be lightly used. Again... nothing indicating the need for a VPS.

There's plenty of shared hosts that do not oversell there resources, and there are many others who do it responsibly. Don't let the handful of hosts who oversell to the max and cram servers way to full taint the shared hosting industry in general. There are still plenty of shared hosts that have very little downtime, have decent prices, good customer support, and fair sized plans.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Shared, 3 Unique IPs ($1-$2 month, and SSL is a valid justification). VPS have too much overhead (IMHO) and you'll get worse performance for your buck (esp if you have a control panel, email, bind, etc all running on the VPS which you most likely will). You will also have increased management issues unless you get a managed VPS which increases the price significantly.

Reseller account or not, depends entirely on the host you go with, and if you are reselling. Verify with the host that you can have 3 Unique IP addresses for the account type you choose.

Semi-Dedicated or not, depends how many other sites you want to share the server with.

-Jason

The main issue with resellers is are they shared accounts acting as a reseller?

Also, I worry about data security issues with Shared accounts. This is more critical with shopping/customer information on the mySql databases.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_fw
    The main issue with resellers is are they shared accounts acting as a reseller?
    For cpanel at least, most resellers do not have the ability to sell reseller accounts.. (You can only have one layer of reseller accounts in most cpanel configs), and I would ask the host. Of course you are relying on them not to lie, but if you don't trust them with a question like that, how can you trust them with your data?

Quote Originally Posted by dm_fw
    Also, I worry about data security issues with Shared accounts. This is more critical with shopping/customer information on the mySql databases.
    As a first step. I would get on a server that has external mysql connection LOCKED down and doesn't allow it's customers to open them up. I would also make sure the root password is secure (again it involves trusting the cost). The fewer accounts on a server the lower the chance one of them will be up to mallace and/or open the door for someone who is.

In that regard a locked down VPS/Dedicated may be slightly more secure, but at a significant price/performance hit.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

I think another question is - how much customization to the setup do you need? If it's a pretty standard mysql/apache/php rollout, shared is probably the cheapest route. However if you want some custom configurations and guaranteed performance, consider VPS.
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles