New to dedicated servers, where to learn

Hi everyone,

I am new to dedicated servers. and planning to get one soon in week or so. I have no knowldege of servers, so just wondering if anyone can suggest me some thing to read that i can get something before buying a server...

Just need to know basic stuff.. i can learn realy fast.. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by icare
    Hi everyone,

I am new to dedicated servers. and planning to get one soon in week or so. I have no knowldege of servers, so just wondering if anyone can suggest me some thing to read that i can get something before buying a server...

Just need to know basic stuff.. i can learn realy fast.. thank you
    Start reading up on bash, go for a managed server package if you can.

What do you mean by bash?

The bash shell. Here's a link that could possibly get you started. I skimmed over it: http://linux.org.mt/article/terminal

The bash shell is what you work with when you ssh into your server to control it.

Any links for complete tutorial on updating kernel?

Believe me, you don't want to update a kernel with a tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by helmishariff
    Any links for complete tutorial on updating kernel?
    Use google, the search button here... Intruding on other's threads is rude, in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by 9212
    Use google, the search button here... Intruding on other's threads is rude, in my eye.
    I'm apologize for it.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon
    Believe me, you don't want to update a kernel with a tutorial
    I have tried it on my pc but afraid to do it myself on servers.

Go to Amazon.com or your local Barnes & Noble and pick up any intro to Linux book you like. Don't laugh but a good starting point for any newbie is the "For Dummies" series.

You can then pick up a cheap old pentium 2 pc and install CentOS or Fedora on it and begin playing (breaking) the operating system. The more you play and break stuff the more you will learn from your mistakes.

Once you get comfy with the basics of the linux command line you might want to pick up a cheap dedicated server or a VPS to begin learning the networking side of linux and how it integrates with the web hosting industry.

You might consider getting a subscription to Safari Books Online (they offer a free 2 week trial so you can check them out). You can then pick some books on Linux and server administration and read them online.

Also, definitely have a victim PC with CentOS at home that you work on as you learn and try stuff before trying to do it on your production servers.
    Kevin, The Walrus