Thread: apache 1 or 2?

apache 1 or 2?

which is better, apache 1.3.36 or apache2?

right now futurehosting.biz has me on Apache 1.3.36, on centOS 4.2 with cpanel/WHM, and I was just curious about what are the advantages/disadvantages of running Apache2 instead?

I mean, the apache channels all tell me Apache 2 is more secure, but yet, every hosting provider I've ever been with runs Apache 1.3.36, so I am just wondering, if apache2 is so much better why do web hosting providers still run 1.3 series? is it a compatibility issue with cpanel or something? I am just curious.

I don't know how to upgrade to apache2 anyway without "yum install" for it, but I was just curious, if its something I should consider or not.. I do know my forum for instance, has some compatibility issues with PHP 5, but does require PHP 4.3 or higher, something about a change in 4.3 for its search feature, and I got to thinking maybe there are similar issues with apache 2, I have no idea, noones ever told me, so I was just curious.

thanks
    Last edited by bubazoo; 09-14-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Many providers use Apache 1.x because they're old enough to have used it before 2.x was reliable, and they don't have a compelling reason to change over that many old servers. Newer hosts will often use Apache 2.x because it's newer and somewhat better (although the "better" part is often invisible to clients).

There is currently no real reason to use Apache 2, exept you have specific needs (like Ruby, or other things that NEED it). It takes more memory, and I'm not sure it's more secure. Anyway, it doesn't make a lot of change, we run both and it's no problem. Some might not agree with me, and I'm begining to change my mind as time passes...

What I saw is that the module API changed quite a lot between the 2 versions, enough to make it incompatible, but not enough to make it faster (IMHO). I don't really understand why they did those changes, and I think it was a mistake: many module that were running well under apache 1.3 just can't be used anymore in apache 2.

My advice again: use apache 1.3 unless you can't do another way.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

If u're on cpanel, sticking to apache 1.3 is a good option...

Apache 2 was originally built for performance and multithreading issues. I think if you have a choice, you'll definitely want to go w/ Apache2.
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles

I would use 1.3.x It seems to be less of a resource hog, and imo it is a lot more stable.

2.0/2.2 are not resource hogs. Apache has a modular design that you can easily choose the modules you wish to load. With a bit of tuning, you can get 2.0 to use about as much memory as 1.3, with bonus features and better performance.

Nor is it less stable. Most stability issue is with PHP in the earlier days.

I think these days the only reason to stick to Apache 1.3 is cpanel. Otherwise, the choice should be between Apache 2.0 and 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by thekonqueror
    If u're on cpanel, sticking to apache 1.3 is a good option...
    Why 1.3 with cpanel? is it the only option?

Why 1.3 with cpanel? is it the only option?
    just what I was wondering JohanRHCE..

that was actually my biggest concern in doing it. along with "how" to actually upgarde to 2.0 or 2.2 from a 1.3 install. I am not sure how Future Hosting actually installed apache for me originally, if they compiled it from scratch or used yum (centOS 4.2) that I have no idea on, so upgrading to version 2 or 2.2 would be my next question really. and would 2.0 or 2.2 work with cpanel?

I mean, I have no problems sticking to 1.3 if thats what I have to do, but I am more fimilar with apache2, and I've heard its faster, so I haven't decided yet. Only reason I've considered it is for speed, security, and additional mod_rewrite rules if there are any.
    Last edited by bubazoo; 09-16-2006 at 04:07 PM.