Thread: SMTP problems

SMTP problems

i have a dynamic IP and i'm running a host through zoneedit as my nameserver. i got everything to work fine except the mailserver, i cant send to aol or most other servers because they cant do a reverse DNS on it. any suggestions?

thanks guys. bTW im new to teh hosting scene. i've always been a reseller til now.

What's the IP? You should contact your hosting provider and have them add reverse DNS for the IP.

i tried that, they said i have to have a dedicated IP.

wow....what is that and how do i do it?

A reverse DNS PTR, allows you to resolve your Domain name, from your IP, the oposite of normal, or forward DNS. If you have a dynamic IP, even if you could create teh PTR, which I think you may be able to in zoneedit, you would have to adjust it everytime your IP changes

thats fine. I"ll give you my IP and can you guys show me what my PTR would look like?

ip=71.251.244.121 host=pool-71-251-244-121.char.east.verizon.net

well your pointer for that Ip should be :

121.244.251.71.in-addr.arpa

But I'm not even sure you can do it with a dynamic IP, let alone get it to work. I assume your hosting your sites from home, if you intend to get much traffic, or need to send alot of mail, your going to need to get a static IP, and prob a VPS or dedicated server with a decent connection to the internet.

im not really lookin for a big turnout, im hosting a family website where just my family can login, interact, plan stuff, etc...and we need to be able to email out anywhere. I'll put that in my PTR and see what happens. So i dont have to change the in-addr.arpa thing to verizon or anything?

thanks a bunch sam. =)

okay, did all that and ran some DNS tests..... the problems I had werent resolved, and by trying that I ran into bigger more complex problems. Workign through it, I think i could eventually get it taken care of but now I'm confused on a higher level than I was previously...

How do i create an A record or name for my domain? lol

I'd be very surprised if you were able to setup a PTR record for your IPs, as I'm pretty sure Verizon controls them, not you. Even if you do, you may still run into problems.

Your situation (hosting on a dynamic IP) is one of the circumstances that keeps the email-hosting industry alive. You'll probably have a lot fewer headaches paying someone $20-$50/year to host your email for you. Try the site search, it's a subject that gets brought up weekly.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS