Midphase - Domain Transfer Problems

I currently have a few sites hosted and domain names registered by Midphase and would like to transfer to another host. Currently my name is listed on whois as the registrant but midphase has their email listed as the contact.

As I understand the domain name transfer process the new registrar must use the contact email as shown on whois to have the domain's owner authorize the transfer. I have asked Midphase to either authorize the transfer or to change the email listed on my domain registration to my email.

Here is Midphase's response.

"If you still wish to cancel your account you MUST fill out this form at least 14 days before your renew date cancel. midphase. com Your account will be shut off within 24 hours of the cancelllation ticket being put in.
    then you can let us know that is done and we can unlock the domain and you can trasnfer it to a new registrar.

After your cancellation has been completed. If you want it done before you cancel you'll have to pay $21.95/one-time to release the domain. After you cancel, the domain is yours for free."

While the 14 day cancelation is clearly spelled out in the TOS and is fine, nothing is noted about he 21.95 domain release fee.

Is this a standard process? It seems to me that they are just making it difficult for me to transfer hosts.

Right now it looks like I have two choices. Cancel the account and have my websites go down for a few days while I re-register the domains with another provider or pay the fee to release the domains so that my websites stay live.

My knowelege of the process is quite limited and would great appreciate advice anyone would have to offer.

Many hosts offer domains and state in their TOS in short terms - "it's yours as long as you stay with us." Some have "it's yours as long as you stay with us - but we're going to charge you to get it back if you want to move" - get the most out of their customers!

If the domains expire soon, within the week, and your websites aren't so important, re-register them at another registrar. It's good practice not to register domains with your web host, unless you've read their TOS and if they have nothing about them keeping your domain.

Otherwise pay the fee, it's not unusual.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

I suggest to contact them and ask them why they charge you this amount to ensure that you didn't overlook something.

I did contact Midphase and they replied that the $21.95 charge per domain was required to "release" my domains. My hosting accounts are fully paid up and don't expire until Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by dbush
    I did contact Midphase and they replied that the $21.95 charge per domain was required to "release" my domains. My hosting accounts are fully paid up and don't expire until Dec.
    This is why checking the TOS for stuff like this is important before you sign up
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I did check the TOS and there is no mention of the tranfer charge. Following is the part of their TOS that covers cancellation and there is no language at all of domain transfer charges.

Cancellation
    We have a very simple cancellation policy. If you cancel your account within 30 days, you will be provided with a full refund excluding any setup fees (varies, most plans include free setup), and domain registration fees ($21.95). The only way to cancel your account is by visiting our cancellation form, which is located at cancel.midphase.com . Automatic Renewal
    As a convenience to you, your midPhase account will be enabled with autorenewal, which means that when your renewal date comes up, your hosting plans and domain will be renewed. At the same time though, midPhase does incur a cost at this, so the credit card on file will also be charged. If you wish to not have this happen, and you would not like to renew your account, you must cancel 14 days prior to renewal. If you have any questions as to when your renewal date is, simply login to secure.mpcustomer.com, or give us a call. If you fail to cancel 14 days prior to renewal, your account will be renewed for a new term, so please be sure to fill out the cancellation form located above if you chose not to.

I did check the TOS and there is no mention of the tranfer charge. Following is the part of their TOS that covers cancellation and there is no language at all of domain transfer charges.

Cancellation
    We have a very simple cancellation policy. If you cancel your account within 30 days, you will be provided with a full refund excluding any setup fees (varies, most plans include free setup), and domain registration fees ($21.95). The only way to cancel your account is by visiting our cancellation form, which is located at cancel.midphase.com . Automatic Renewal
    As a convenience to you, your midPhase account will be enabled with autorenewal, which means that when your renewal date comes up, your hosting plans and domain will be renewed. At the same time though, midPhase does incur a cost at this, so the credit card on file will also be charged. If you wish to not have this happen, and you would not like to renew your account, you must cancel 14 days prior to renewal. If you have any questions as to when your renewal date is, simply login to secure.mpcustomer.com, or give us a call. If you fail to cancel 14 days prior to renewal, your account will be renewed for a new term, so please be sure to fill out the cancellation form located above if you chose not to.
    Bit confused, the 21.95 is above? Its saying you have to pay the 21.95 for the domain they bought for you right?

Please read the TOS carefully.

It says that the 21.95 and the setup fees that are part of the initial payment are not refundable during the 30 day initial trial.

"If you cancel your account within 30 days, you will be provided with a full refund excluding any setup fees (varies, most plans include free setup), and domain registration fees ($21.95)"

I have had accounts for two years with Midpahse and I am not looking for a refund of any kind. The domains I own are current paid through December and they are asking that I pay the additional fee to have the domain released.

Please read the TOS carefully.

It says that the 21.95 and the setup fees that are part of the initial payment are not refundable during the 30 day initial trial.

"If you cancel your account within 30 days, you will be provided with a full refund excluding any setup fees (varies, most plans include free setup), and domain registration fees ($21.95)"

I have had accounts for two years with Midpahse and I am not looking for a refund of any kind. The domains I own are current paid through December and they are asking that I pay the additional fee to have the domain released.
    Yep I can see it that way too but I'm not sure that is what they actually mean,

did you pay for the domains or did they buy and pay them for you?

This is one reason why everyone says to do domain registration yourself, avoids all this stuff, at least they are allowing you to release them, I've been scammed once with a free domain offer and the host kept ownership and wouldnt give it to me when I wanted to move.

I paid for the domains at another host and transfered them to midphase.

I will take your advice and use a seperate host from registrar once I get this sorted out. Unfortuantely I learned the hard way. It is not a lot of money but it just feels like I am getting scammed.

I paid for the domains at another host and transfered them to midphase.

I will take your advice and use a seperate host from registrar once I get this sorted out. Unfortuantely I learned the hard way. It is not a lot of money but it just feels like I am getting scammed.
    Damn that sucks, ya just setup your own account with enom or so on and just change the DNS, I hate when hosting companies do this!

I've seen various hosts charge a fee for cancelling your hosting, especially if you
    go beyond any MBG. The fee is usually to cover the costs of domain registration
    obtained for free that time.

While I'm not an attorney, I don't see any clause stating they'll charge any admin
    fees for whatever reason.

Well, if you really want to make a fuss of this, then contact midphase and go thru
    the chain of command. Have your lawyer handy, too.

I just reviewed all this and sent a PM to the thread starter. We may have made a mistake and we'll handle this directly with the customer from now on.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

I currently have a few sites hosted and domain names registered by Midphase and would like to transfer to another host. Currently my name is listed on whois as the registrant but midphase has their email listed as the contact.

As I understand the domain name transfer process the new registrar must use the contact email as shown on whois to have the domain's owner authorize the transfer. I have asked Midphase to either authorize the transfer or to change the email listed on my domain registration to my email.

Here is Midphase's response.

"If you still wish to cancel your account you MUST fill out this form at least 14 days before your renew date cancel. midphase. com Your account will be shut off within 24 hours of the cancelllation ticket being put in.
    then you can let us know that is done and we can unlock the domain and you can trasnfer it to a new registrar.

After your cancellation has been completed. If you want it done before you cancel you'll have to pay $21.95/one-time to release the domain. After you cancel, the domain is yours for free."

While the 14 day cancelation is clearly spelled out in the TOS and is fine, nothing is noted about he 21.95 domain release fee.

Is this a standard process? It seems to me that they are just making it difficult for me to transfer hosts.

Right now it looks like I have two choices. Cancel the account and have my websites go down for a few days while I re-register the domains with another provider or pay the fee to release the domains so that my websites stay live.

My knowelege of the process is quite limited and would great appreciate advice anyone would have to offer.

If you're unable to transfer your domain name away because of some fee, then you should contact the actual accredited registrar. And if that fails, then send in a complaint to internic:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

This form will usually get some type of movement to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by comm
    If you're unable to transfer your domain name away because of some fee, then you should contact the actual accredited registrar. And if that fails, then send in a complaint to internic:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

This form will usually get some type of movement to occur.
    Why did you post this? This thread had already come to a conclusion and was fixed, the poster was misinformed by a tech at midphase who thought they had given him a free domain when in fact he had bought it. Since he bought it there are no fees as he owns it outright.

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    Why did you post this? This thread had already come to a conclusion and was fixed, the poster was misinformed by a tech at midphase who thought they had given him a free domain when in fact he had bought it. Since he bought it there are no fees as he owns it outright.
    It was relevant to the topic, that is all.

The poster might have hashed this problem out with the hosting company. However, someone else might be in the same situation with no help from the hosting company. If they search this site and find this thread they will see the options provided, and my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by comm
    It was relevant to the topic, that is all.

The poster might have hashed this problem out with the hosting company. However, someone else might be in the same situation with no help from the hosting company. If they search this site and find this thread they will see the options provided, and my reply.
    Yep but the point was it was all just a mistake of whether the domain was bought by them or by the hosting company. Besides your advice would not be fair, if a hosting company gives someone a free domain and then has a fee if they leave before a year or something its not legal to go outside that as you suggested to take that away.