Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry I'm sick of all of these stupid web hosts

Where in the CRAP are the GOOD web hosts???? I've had nothing but problems with several hosting companies I've used in the past. I just want a ROCK SOLID host that doesnt go down, doesnt have email problems, and has great support. I've been using Pakhost (www.pakhost.com) but they're support is horrible now. Not to mention one of their servers went down the other day and it's still not fixed. Also, I have a client hosted with them and he has an SSL installed on his site. Well, that SSL is lost and they can't get it back.. UGH - I'm so frustrated. I just need an AWESOME host that is not going out of business, supports PHP, and has excellent uptime. I need recommendations so I can stick with 1 hosting company and register all of my clients through them so I won't have these problems anymore! I'm sick of it!
    www.ittybittyhost.com - One Package, One Price!

The only way your going to find this is by doing research, they're out there

E-mail sales and support, ask for test files, ask for proof of uptime, just spend the time finding out and you'll find the right one.

www.steadfast.net -- I highly recommend them. I've been with them for a while now and haven't had any problems!

Why not just start your own hosting company if you feel that you can do it better?

Well, I mean.. I have a resellers account but thats just for my business stuff. I want a place where I can register ALL of my clients when they need hosting. I was thinking about using HostGator. I've read a LOT of great things about them on this board and I would get like $50 per signup, too...

My own personal experience - in 6 years I've been through 7 host some of which have been addr.com, micfo.com, webmasters.com and ipowweb.com. I'm currently with LiquidWeb and I would have to say that their customer service is the highest I've seen. The techs are courteous and pleasant. At this point I don't think I could go back to a company that had only email-based support after experiencing well done phone support. I would also look at LunarPages who I was considering changing to because of an IP limitation with LW, but I've since worked out this little problem and have decided to stay put with LW for the time being.

What are your requeriments in space and bandwidth?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    Why not just start your own hosting company if you feel that you can do it better?
    He never said he can do it better.

Next time you complain your car won't start, or it gets uncomfortable after a 4 hour drive, my i suggest you go build your own.

First check your budget.

A good reliable host in the $2.00 a month range is just not that easy to find.
    Consider $7.00 to $8.00 a bucks a month a decent starting price and look for realistic packages in the price range not way over sold plans.
    Hosting is a cut throat industry and host come and go everyday, there is always some new gimmick to try and separate themselves. Host will tell you all kinds of things like we can sell cheaper because we use bigger hard drives, hardware etc.. But the truth is that hardware is the lowest cost component of hosting, support and personal are the highest cost and for getting good people the cost is going up not down.

Look for one that has been around a while has reasonable plans and prices, do a search here on WHT for them and a search on google, see what others out side of WHT have to say.

Good luck in the search.

I'm happy w/ my current host
    eventough they don't offer huge space, but BW seems okay
    100MB, pay only $10/year :p
    ~ Ganbareee

Quote Originally Posted by Blebekblebek
    pay only $10/year :p
    I'm sure they enjoy supporting you that whole year + paying their expenses for $0.83 per month ($0.027 per day -- great!).

Im a little confused here since your signature is that of a web hosting co. and Im assuming thats you
    and Im guessing your sick of having a bad upstream. This is who provides the support to you. You just have to do "thorough" research...not just here but also run a co. name through google.com, read reviews, contact clients if you feel the need. There are a ton of ways to research and of course email potential hosts and "ask questions"

As far as the host you mention, Ive never heard of them but that doesnt mean a thing.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

You can also search till the cows come home...find an excellent host...then they still blow.
    With more success comes more expense!

When the cost is $4/mo, ask what support do I get for that?

Yeah, my question is, if data uptime is that important to them, wouldn't they want to shell out more then 50 bucks a month for that security? ... I guess it depends on how valuable their data is to them...
    Nexus Networks Canada Inc.
    www.NexusNetworks.com
    1.866.662.HOST

I have been through so many shared hosting companies with my sites its pitiful. I can say my worst experiences are getting hosting from friends or splitting stuff with friends. I finally decided the only way my site would stay online if I got my own server and ran it myself and sell hosting to supplement it. So far so good.

But there are plenty of fine web hosts out there for shared hosting or whatever, I think if you look and search here you will find if anyone has any complaints or compliments

I believe he said he only hosts his own business stuff.

But I feel his pain, it sucks looking for a host. Seriously, you ask here, they tell you to search the forum. You search the forums and come up with a lot of folks being told to search the forums...sigh.

Look for reviews? Yeah right, check out all the review sites only to find out that most of the review sites are just shilling. The more ads, the better the reviews...damn. So who can you trust? Which review sites are legit?

There used to be a 'good host' thread but it is long gone. No wonder because all the start-ups that were good just overbooked themselves and started going downhill with the overload. I'm sick of it too.

Oddly enough, the two hosts I've been most satisfied with, dixiesys.com and arvixe.com, I never saw widely advertised or reviewed (although Gary from Dixiesys is a member here). I'm also run-testing Jatol.com right now and they seem to be a good host so far...another one I stumbled upon that is not advertised. My bad probaby because I never wrote reviews here, but my hosting needs are so minimal that I think most hosts would be satisfactory as far as GB/BW for the money. For the most part, I don't use the website proper, I only require email & mail list support so I don't think that my reviews would represent the typical user.

But I do require that the folks running the hosting be available (within reason, I know they have lives and family) and that they be polite. May seem like a stupid requirement to most, but I have asked benign pre-sales questions of some hosts and been given the snottiest answers. I mean, geez, if they can't answer a simple question about the cost for exceeding the BW on an intermitent basis without getting defensive, then they don't know their business.

It gets funny sometimes...when I asked one host a pre-sale question about which mailing list software they supported (I prefer MailMan over MajorDomo) they responded that if I was so [explitive deleted] worried about a stupid [explitive deleted] mail list I should get my [butt] over to [explitive deleted] Yahoo and start a group, LOL. Sad that I wasn't even suprised...so many bad ones out there.

All the hosts have these nice fancy landing pages, but I only check the 'About Us' and the 'Contact Us' page. I like to see a mailing address, a phone number, an email addy (aside from the contact form) and it is really nice if they mention where their datacenter is located. Odd how many hosts don't have any of these things listed...visions of a kid running servers in his bedroom on his daddy's comcast account.

I really don't care whether a host is based in Nebraska or New Mexico, and maybe it is just my age showing, but it tends to bother me when a host doesn't even give a clue as to their geographic location on their website.

Enough rambling on my part, but OP, like I said, I feel your pain.

Where in the CRAP are the GOOD web hosts???? I've had nothing but problems with several hosting companies I've used in the past. I just want a ROCK SOLID host that doesnt go down, doesnt have email problems, and has great support. I've been using Pakhost (www.pakhost.com) but they're support is horrible now.
    Honestly man, for $2 to $4/month, you wont find a good web host - its just not possible. Good support costs money, good hardware costs money - well, you get the point

Sorry about your hassles - but, pick a reputable host with a viable pricing model, and I think you will find more good hosts then bad
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

You get what you pay for in hosting... I know that may sound like I'm being a smart-butt, but I'm not... I have no reason... I feel your pain as well. It was not until I started paying over $20 per month for hosting that I found some great hosts. I bounced around for years going from host to host looking for high bandwidth, lot of hard drive space, and low cost.... I always felt pain.

In my case I needed windows hosting, but found myself needing "only" hosting and went to pair and site5 on a temp. basis.... they were great... I finally moved over to FluidHosting.com and been there for over three years now... dave and john are great... the entire team is great.... I actually have my main sites on a windows package, but testing a linux package... I need to move my sites to linux to take advantage of some scripts....

Once you pay, you will find the service and uptime you need / want.... you don't want to go it alone, unless you have the time to dedicate to your business and another part-time business.... pay someone else to worry about your sites hardware.....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

If you have a hosting business that hosts and supports business clients, you have to protect your company's integrity. You should get the best hosting deal out there, best meaning affordable and reliable not "cheap"

First thing you should do is research about the hosting company before you get attracted to their hosting package and price. You should think broader, ahead and smart. You have to invest money to gain money. You have to pay more to get a better service. I hope you keep this in mind in the future. Good luck matey.

Zac Louie
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

I know that Axis Host is good, I have seen them around A LOT and they seem pretty good. Also HostGator doesn't seem too bad. Why not get enough money and get a dedicated server, dont have to deal much with crap hosts. If so, layeredtech.com isthe way to go bro, they are good.

Best of luck on your issues and hope my reply was helpful!
    Frimon86

I am with jaguarpc.com shared hosting, and so far so good, 11 dollars a month php fantastico, and ticket support is very good.

I reccomend commit1.com, I have been with them for a few months now, and they know what they are doing. They always have support online and they are very kind and curtious to the customer. They treat you like one of the family. I have had no issues with my servers or anything like that. So good luck finding one.
    DJ Anderson
    Need Hosting?
    www.techwebhosting.com

Thanks for all of the help and recommendations.. I really appreciate it!

You have to do your research. You're not going to find a good hosting company if you don't know what you're looking for in a good, reliable host. Without sounding biased, I do whole-heartedly recommend either APlus.Net or HostExcellence (the link is in my signature below). I have used Host Excellence the past two years and I just absolutely love the service, price, and features for the buck. APlus.Net I have been using recently, only because I wanted to diversify. That brings up another technique. If you have several websites, go with several web hosts, not just one. That way, you'll get to have first rate experience with several hosts instead of just one, and you'll be able to eventually "weed out" the bad ones and go with the solid performer. So far, I see no reason to dump Host Excellence, nor APlus.Net for that matter. Good luck in your web hosting endeavors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast