Lets talk Hosting Templates!

Ok the big dillema "The Hosting Template"
    now alot of people make an effort to get a good template rather then get a photoshop newbie and havea "GFXor Template" < i used that term because i have been one of those photoshop template makers.

Here are a few examples of these cliche templates that now are so obviously untrustworthy with everybody, im not just saying that i have heard loads of reviews about that.

Im not sure if i can post examples of site using these ugly templates but ill try to explain anyway, these templates are used very very widely so much that now i can tell if the company is ran by a newbie or a pro, now see a pro would ALWAYS go for less space more performance based optimization, only big established companies go for heavy websites because they can afford it.

And a template is very very important for a hosting website as well, i agree, but if its not looking good or you think it doesnt fit, ITS NOT WORTH IT, its your business its your image so i say never make any compromises.

I took 6 months to get a template for my company, now everyone assumes i had no sales in those 6 months...well a good manager never relies on just one asset, getting clients is not based on a template, a template is more of a corporate image and the level of investment you can afford on advertising, and now i have a successful business, breaking a healthy profit everymonth and now i can have a custom hosting software built.

Thats just my opinion, i would love to hear your opinions.

Regards

Well, I prefer a non-cluttered website templates. So the part of "company blog" is actually outsourced (or is it in-sourced?) to my own blog (to save my time and money to manage it).

Plus, I run away from server/computer images like a plague. They are so cliche! Web hosting nowadays are like commodities and you have to brand your self to un-commoditized it.

If you fall to the trap "let's-make-a-site-with-many-computer-icon-so-it-looked-like-we-are-a-high-tech-company" won't work anymore.
    Permagnus.Com-- Financial site with a human touch

Exactly!
    I hate computer images as well specially those flash ones where it has glitter and stuff...

Company's unique logos and objects makes it distinct and stand out more!

Yeh, fancy images of servers that you don't own or models that don't work for you is the biggest turn off for me.

I think the best are clean and simple with good amounts of whitespace. I'm so tired of seeing what is obviously a picture of just some random person who looks like a business person and that means a good host...

2 of my fav host designs right now:

http://www.site5.com/ - awesome designer, just utterly amazing in ease to see what is going on, where to go etc, the drop pages like http://www.site5.com/hosting/rails.php are also great, clear white space, easy to see what is going on.

http://www.midphase.com/ - clean, clear call to action, good price, and easy to read and find what you need quickily. Good tool bars and bottom links..
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Clean and simple are often quite good.

When I get a client asking for the big flashy design, I ask..Why?

The response is often 'because the competition does'.

When I explain to them that they are probably no worse off than the competition at this stage, and that sometimes its good to be different they often reconsider.

But I agree, the big flashy over the top design, its just too confronting, and no smart e business person would use it. You don't want clients looking at pictures, you want them BUYING.

Maybe I am getting old but when I see a site that is cluttered with flashing banners and not enought white space I just close the page and move on.
    RelyHost.com - Reliable Web Hosting
    Small business and personal web hosting

RelyHost if you are getting old then im with you, i dont like it either conservation in designing is very important for and there must be some white space!!

And with all of this info ill make a tutorial about the perfect template

thanks guys
    more feed back is welcome

And if you guys are getting old I must be too and I am not Clean and Simple usually does the trick! Design has more to it than graphics.
    - Erik Bernskiold
    Web Designer, Photographer, Software Trainer & Owner of XLD Studios
    Bernskiold Media (Blog, Tutorials) | XLD Studios

Is ClashX supposed to do something? All I get is a big red screen with a ClassX V2 and an x-ball. Clicking doesn't do anything.

I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.6 on Linux Fedora Core 3.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

sailorFred, not for the moment i got tired with the last template and order form so im having a custom one, the last billing system was moved to www.clashx.ws