Godaddy seized a nameserver domain

Anyone know a registrar that DOESN'T do this? Is godaddy the only one? I recieved an email from them that goes like this:

The following domain names have been suspended for violation
    of the GoDaddy.com Abuse Policy:

the domain. com

If the domain name(s) listed above are private, your Domains By
    Proxy(R) account has also been suspended.

View our Legal Agreement & Terms of Service policies:
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/agreements.asp

Please contact us by email at mailto:[email protected]
    for additional information regarding this notification.

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy.com
    Spam and Abuse Department

I called them, and the guy on the phone didn't know anything about it. He said email them. So I emailed them 4 hours ago, haven't heard anything. The domain is used so that a server I own can have a host name and certificate. The domain name has exactly one page with contact information abuse@ and postmaster@. It doesn't get spammed, It turns out there was another email from godaddy 2 hours earlier that I didn't see yet. Through the screenshot they sent I could see that a users site was exploited through an insecure php script and used as a phishing scheme. They were using the URL my_domain/~username

I immediately deleted the site and saved evidence but I'm thinking the name is gone for good.

The bad part is that 600+ websites on the server use that name for their nameserver so 600 sites will be down until all those owners go and change their nameserver information at their registrar.

I have 40 other domains that 30 other servers use, and more than 60 registered at godaddy.

Does anyone know if enom suspends domains in this fashion? I'm not a criminal, and neither are the 600 people whos sites are soon to be wiped off the Internet from this. I am eager to get abuse complaints and love booting abusers as quickly as I can but hosting 10's or thousands of websites my mailbox gets thousands of emails a day and it took me more than two hours to get to the 1st one they sent.

To solve that problem I immediately disabled mod_userdir so there won't be another incident for me or any resellers allowing their customers to use a temporary URL /~user but I can't be associated with godaddy under the terms of, "we will confiscate your domain on any abuse complaint we recieve"

And I'm glad I registered a different name for every server instead of one domain, and a subdomain for every server.

To recap - does anyone know where a safe place to move 60+ registered domains is?

namecheap was always been my favorite, and i know a lot of other people who use it as well..

Most registrars do suspend domains but from experiance enom is more understanding than Godaddy. Godaddy shuts you down with no warning and sometimes even flaps you with fees.

Some of these domains are registered 10 years in advance. I assume that stays the same transferring them? Or does it vary by registrar?

A good word of warning to hosts - disable the use of domain/~user especially if its registered at godaddy. They have a hard time distiguishing the fact that a user on a system and the host name registered with them for years are two different entities. They take the spews approach to abuse. Store gets robbed, bomb the city.

Moved to domain name forum

page-zone. If you do what [email protected] tell you to the letter, then you will get your domain back reasonably quickly (up to a week). They are notoriously draconian when it comes to abuse for spam/phishing. they will give you the option to transfer the domain to a new registrar (and pay them $50), or to remain at Godaddy (and pay them $200 to forget it).

Most registrars will suspend your domain but not like Godaddy do it. Suspend first, ask questions later. eNom and NameCheap would be good alternatives.

The people at [email protected] are anal-retentive. They go home at 5pm and don't work weekends. Sometimes they're monosyllabic. Do exactly what they tell you, and you should get the issue resolved. Probably not until after the weekend. But it'll get resolved.

You might also bump up against the issue of your registrant info changing because your privacy has been removed. That will invoke a 60-day hold at Godady. You will need to probably deal with that issue if you decide to transfer away.

Dont speak to Support. Always speak to Abuse directly. Remember to stay calm and be polite.
    Last edited by stub; 09-14-2006 at 08:20 PM.
    Signature Under Construction.

This man speaks the truth. GoDaddy abuse keeps those hours because we all know that internet abuse is only supposed to happen during standard weekday work hours.

Sheesh, it is soooo hard to get those criminals to read the GoDaddy TOS.

Its solved. They were nice enough to give my property back to me and 500-600 sites that use that domain as their nameserver won't be 404 tomorrow. The more I read about godaddy the quicker I want to transfer out of there. If I never have to think about that company, or read about their blowhard CEO expounding upon his own genious it will still be too soon.

The first call to them I was told there is no abuse phone number and to email them and wait for a reply. The second time - 4 hours and 2 emails from me later was told the same exact thing, only this time the guy reminded me I have a few domains expiring in a couple of months and would I like to renew them now. I was like - "your joking right? You actually think I'm going to ever do another dollar in business with you?"

Godaddy has absolutely no ethics, and from what I have read of their $199 fines they appear to be a pretty corrupt self appointed police force. If the abuse has labled you a spammer, it can be cured with a little payolla.

A spammer is a spammer, they don't cease to be a spammer because they paid godaddy $199 to get their domain back.

Say I decide to move a domain from Gdady to Register "B".

My question:
    Register B will be in charge of the new policy regarding "domain deletion"?
    Register "B" will have the control with ICANN, changes with domain registrants etc?

thanks

Yes whichever registrar you move your domain to will have ultimate control with ICANN regarding the domain in question. Once you move a domain away from godaddy and the transfer completes godaddy no longer would have control of the domain.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Quote Originally Posted by jschurawlow
    Yes whichever registrar you move your domain to will have ultimate control with ICANN regarding the domain in question. Once you move a domain away from godaddy and the transfer completes godaddy no longer would have control of the domain.
    That is correct, GoDaddy will have no jurisdiction to do anything.

GoDaddy is criminal. They are just waiting for more lawsuites against them... and they deserve it for extortion of small business owners.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone
    Store gets robbed, bomb the city.
    That is the absolutely greatest analogy I've ever heard.
    Michael Chase
    Clear-Data Internet Services - Inexpensive website, reseller, and game server hosting.

I tend not to use Godaddy anymore due to all the horror stories and stick with registerfly.com
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Quote Originally Posted by HigherProfits
    GoDaddy is criminal. They are just waiting for more lawsuites against them... and they deserve it for extortion of small business owners.

Dave
    criminal NO, unethical YES

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    I tend not to use Godaddy anymore due to all the horror stories and stick with registerfly.com
    Do a search on the forum for 'registerfly', maybe you'll consider having your domains at registerfly