Domain name transfer

Hi this is my first post. I asked from domainsite.com to take my domain from another company in Greece. I sent the request, I accepted the email, I paid through paypal and everything was ok until my old company wants to pay 11.9 euro because they said that with the transfer, the domain will renew for a year, but I have already payed domainsite.com for this reason. Am I wrong? Should I pay again? My domain is locked from my old company. Is it right or should I ask them to continue the transfer without money?? Thanks a lot!!

Some companies are asking some money for the transfering-away. Have you read their TOS?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Nowhere in their site, say something for money for transfer. They asked me money for renewal before transfer, not for the transfer. They told me that a .com transfer means automatically and renewal. Maybe I will pay in order to finish the transfer.

You pay the gaining registrar when you transfer... The price includes a renewal for 1 year.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Your original company is trying to rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    Some companies are asking some money for the transfering-away. Have you read their TOS?
    since nov. 2004 no company can ask for money to transfer out as per ICANN rule
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Quote Originally Posted by Bashar
    since nov. 2004 no company can ask for money to transfer out as per ICANN rule
    Except for a few "extenuating" circumstances, Bashar.

ICANN's FAQs on this subject are sometimes confusing as hell...

GoDaddy ask for money all the time to transfer away suspended domains
    Signature Under Construction.

suspended domains as for spam?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

No no, you don't pay for the transfer. You only need to pay the gaining registrar the fee to extend your domain registration.

If you are looking for an exclusive template design for your website, do check out
    Your Exclusive Template Hunt

Hello,

The transfer process does not cost anything to the losing registrar, even they had just renewed the domain, according to the auto-renewal fee refund: icann.org/announcements/advisory-06jun02.htm

However, and although it is an example of unfair competition and is probably against customer protection law, it appears to comply with the ICANN rules. See the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, the Registrar Accreditation Agreement, and specially the ICANN FAQ for Domain-Name Holders:

icann.org/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm
    My registrar is charging me a fee to transfer to a new registrar. Is this allowed?
    Yes. Registrars are allowed to set their own prices for this service.

Best Regards,

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-20-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashar
    suspended domains as for spam?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan
    Except for a few "extenuating" circumstances, Bashar.
    Another circumstance which would trigger a renewal before a registrar permits a transfer is when the domain has expired. Maybe this was the situation in this case.
    Signature Under Construction.