Thread: Urchin5

Urchin5

How does thePlanet sell Urchin 5 for their servers when the company has been aquired by Google?

Is there any way to get Urchin 5 licence without thePlanet servers?

Has Urchin 5 been superceded by Google Analytics?

Thanks.

The Planet probbably has a bunch left over from before the sale and they're just trying to get rid of them. Version 6 (Google Analytics) is the current latest version.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I just found (from website) that Xooni sells Urchin software.

http://www.xooni.com/

It really bummed me out when google bought urchin. Google analytics is not even close to reliable. No 'online stats' garbage is.

Urchin was a great program. as you'll see in that link it costs a fortune to buy it. base package 895. then 100 profiles for 695. Wherase the planet gave you 100 profiles free. that was a great deal.

I've had to go back to awstats now. I did TRY google analytics but it's so far off i wouldn't even count on it for a general idea.

I find Google Analytics a great product and a better one than Urchin was because of the link you can now create between your Adword account & statistic.

G
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

IT's great as long as you have no problem getting grossly inaccurate stats.

First off, no 'online' tracking software that you drop code into your pages that sends data to another host is EVER going to be accurate.

If you aren't parsing your server logs you're not getting accurate data. I also tested this on a busy site with google and a regular log parser and it was off by miles.

I agree it's not as accurate as AWstats or Webalizer could be, but I wouldn't say Analytics to be innacurate as stats and proportions are quite similar.

Regards,

G
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

well I suppose if knowing your stats isn't important it's great.

it's not even close.

Well if you think all remote stats program out there are crap. Dont use them.

They'll never be as accurate as a log parser could be but they are a really better solution then no stats at all.

G
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

They must have licenses left unsold
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

ThePlanet probably have a contract that avail them to the licenses at a competitive rate. That's what you get when you have bulk and volume.

However I do agree that Google acquisition has pretty much killed the Urchin software even though new versions is coming out. With limited sales channels and exhobitent fees, they will find very little uptake for the product I am sure. All along Google is just interested in the technology to offer what they now do for free as Google Anaytics.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Quote Originally Posted by Googled
    Well if you think all remote stats program out there are crap. Dont use them.

They'll never be as accurate as a log parser could be but they are a really better solution then no stats at all.

G

What are good are stats if they're incorrect, I'd rather have nothing than quote something incorrect.

I read something somewhere recently that analyzed all of the projects that Google had bought out in recent years. Although largely good buys, the vast majority of them were actuallty not doing as hot as they were before Google acquired them. Of course that's a completely empty statement without the source, but I'll post a link later I can find it.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

I have read somewhere that online stat recording is not as accurate as the actual server logs (but I cannot remember where).

And when you think about it 100 profiles for $895 is not that much. So while Google Analytics may have made analysis available to more people I think it left people who wanted (and were willing to pay for) advanced analysis in the lurch. Too bad.

I hope the verison 5 is not left-over licences as I've heard that Urchin is very good.

This is the one thing I do not like about Google.

PS. But I did add GMap to a website in five minutes which is amazing. And if I wanted I could get an Enterprise version of GMap.
    Last edited by cws_mm; 09-19-2006 at 03:59 PM.