New to Colocation, some hardware testing advice needed

Hi there,
    I will be colocating a dual opteron machine in the coming weeks, but i'd like to know what the standard procedure for testing server stability before colocating is.

The server will arrive tomorrow, and as you can expect we're excited and anxious to get the server into the DC and start having some fun with it. However, the server is coming with 1 of the CPU's unfitted.

1a. Do you have any recommendations regards thermal paste, will the AMD supplied paste be good enough? Or should we invest in a different brand of thermal paste?

1b. That leads onto the next question, if people do recommend using a different brand of paste, should we reseat the heatsink on the already installed CPU?

2. What routine testing should be done once the server is in dual mode? Can you recommend any memory testing and stability testing applications? Please bare in mind that this box will be running Ubuntu (Debian flavour), so the software will have to be compatible.

3. Anything else I have missed that should be considered before I lump the server to the DC?

Many thanks!

Martin

1a. Do you have any recommendations regards thermal paste, will the AMD supplied paste be good enough? Or should we invest in a different brand of thermal paste?

The metal-bearing pastes and epoxies are best, but be sure not to get them on the pins or the motherboard, Just remember too much is bad and can cause overheating.

1b. That leads onto the next question, if people do recommend using a different brand of paste, should we reseat the heatsink on the already installed CPU?

If you had a place like RME or a server place install these heatsinks Im sure they already used the proper thermal paste in most cases I would call and ask them what they used.

2. What routine testing should be done once the server is in dual mode? Can you recommend any memory testing and stability testing applications? Please bare in mind that this box will be running Ubuntu (Debian flavour), so the software will have to be compatible.

Ahhhhh you stumped me here. I don't use debian and dont want to recomend any becnhmark tools that might not work.

3. Anything else I have missed that should be considered before I lump the server to the DC?

Got Rails? Im sure you don't want it placed ontop of another server or just thrown in the rack.

Make sure you install all your applications apache, php, mail ect... All at home so if you need to reboot it and work on it you can without calling the datacenter and having them manually reboot it!

So get everything 110% before sending it out.

You might be excited but make sure you Cover all your bases
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

Thanks for the advice.

Yes we have rails installed, I should have mentioned that in the original post. Any other opinions are much appreciated.

as for thermal paste, artic silver is what you want to use.
    however, unless you are not using OEM heatsink&fan, it's not really necessary.

AMD's heatsink&fan comes with thermal paste that's pretty decent.

As for benchmarking... I'd say install Windows just to test throughly.
    Burn it in overnight, and if it's stable... wipeout HD, and install Ubuntu.

Key thing to note here is testing the memory. AMD cpus can be very picky

I'd run distributed.net on it for a full day or so - if it can handle all that number crunching, it should be good to go .
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

CPU heat testing: http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

Memory testing: http://www.lowtek.com/blog/2006/07/m...e-roundup.html

I'd also run the drive manufacturer's full drive diagnostics.

Great stuff, thanks for the links and advice.
    Unfortunately i've been told the thermal paste wasn't sent with the server and additional cpu, so it looks as though i'll have to get the second cpu installed once I have some.