Would you trust an online business..

if they

a) didn't display a 'real address' on their website

b) don't have a real address in their domain whois ie use a registration proxy

c) don't have a landline number to call on?

these three things are pretty important to me, even if the details are for a home address. working from home is fine by me as long the person can be contacted in the real world.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

I never buy from someone who doesn't meet your 3 points. Although the telephone number I can be slightly lenient on, I seem to remember ebuyer.com taking phone support off their site a while back (probably to save money), but after a lot of complaints they put it back.
    Steve

I wouldn't buy online from some company unless (in addition to those three points):

* I know someone that bought from them

i remember this story on the news

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...319075,00.html

the only contact number on the websites were mobile numbers!

also it seems to be UK law that if you trade online your details cannot be hidden in a whois.

this doesn't seem to be case in the US.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Yes I will.

As long as I use my CC to pay them

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by azizny
    Yes I will.

As long as I use my CC to pay them

Peace,
    I with you.... but I also check website security.

I know on my sites, my po box is listed and I do not list a telephone number. I used to have a number where people could call to order, but had to kill that when people would call and ask sales information or the status of an order.... Many times people don't bother to read the website and call to ask simple questions... uh, this information is on the website.... it cost too much to have someone "man the phones" (Depending on your business setup).

Then again, we also answer emails within one to seven hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Last edited by hekwu; 09-14-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

there is nothing wrong with privacy enabled on a company. there are thousands and thousands of home-based businesses run by ordinary people that do an excellent job. they have every right to keep their home information private while still being able to provide excellent service/products/support through email

Yes, but not everyone provides an excellent service. So surely the consumer has every right to know who they are giving their money to!

Anyway, in the UK it is illegal to hide your details whether you work at home or in a huge office block.
    Steve

having a telephone number and physical address listed does not guarantee any type of quality service

If they had a good repuation, long history and knew of people who used them...yes.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by iamthekiller
    there is nothing wrong with privacy enabled on a company. there are thousands and thousands of home-based businesses run by ordinary people that do an excellent job
    then they have nothing to hide!

i think it's a sensible UK law. if a company doesn't offer an address, don't use them!

dont think listing the address even verifies its true !
    Lame pple would actually put u everything u wish to find because they know it helps their fraud, i do rely on many factors when purchasing and MOSTLY that if i can find it at some more popular place i will buy it there ...
    Buying using ur CC would be much help too if u needed to charge back,.
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Let's say there are two web businesses.
    They are identical in everywhere... except one company is hiding their contact info.
    Where would you shop?

PS. I bet some guys will say "It doesn't make any difference to me" just to make their point.

I won't give a credit card number unless the site has a valid WHOIS including a phone number and address. The address can be a PO Box. The phone # doesn't have to be in the website but must in the WHOIS.. Why would a business hide it's whois data? It reeks of scam and/or unprofessional small fry. I also dislike business sites that don't have an email address on them. Some sites just have a webform & no email.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    I also dislike business sites that don't have an email address on them. Some sites just have a webform & no email.
    Some may want to keep the email off the site due to spammers. Years ago, when I used an email address and placed on the site, it was spam heaven. Now if I see an email (question or request) from my webform that looks like spam I have a special email I send a reply....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    Why would a business hide it's whois data? It reeks of scam and/or unprofessional small fry. I also dislike business sites that don't have an email address on them. Some sites just have a webform & no email.
    Because I don't want to spend my day screening calls from dozens of different companies that are trying to sell me stuff. Been there, done that. It got so bad that calls from places like Aplus, etc. were outnumbering legitimate calls. Including a mailing address is almost as bad, plus you run the risk of customers mailing in paper payments (if this is not your payment method).

Don't assume that just because the information isn't on the website that it doesn't exist. Any real business will have licenses, registrations, etc. for their business. For example, we are a *real* corporation with taxID, paperwork, 9 yr history, etc. We're also an online business and prefer to keep all business transactions and communications online. There's nothing shady, small-fry or weird about it. Why not just email the company in question and ask where they're located and how to contact them via phone/mail?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

My first site ever was a retail gift site. I had all info posted on the site - mailing address, phone number, fax and email. I found that it helped to instill confidence in the buyer. In fact, over half my orders came in via the toll free number - people just felt more comfortable dealing with a "real" person. Many Internet shoppers are very leary of spending their hard earned bucks online because they're not sure who they're dealing with. Adding all contact info helps to make them more comfortable in placing an order. Ever since then, I (almost out of habit) put all info on my sites.

Having said that, personally, I don't always check for all that info before buying something online. I should, and sometimes I do, but not always. If I'm buying from a well known merchant who has been around for a while, I usually take the leap of faith in assuming all is above board.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials