Online Colleges? What do you know / think about them?

You can say I am lazy but my time is also valuable because I have alot of things to do , I have some what of the money to go for it because my mom is doing it also since she cannot go to college it consumes her time alot from work and other things she does on the house. Anyway I just want to go and do it from online (via webcam i guess) because I never planned on going to college but this seems much better for me and I just finished high school about 3 months ago so I am actually excited about joining up what kind of course I want to take (computers of course) just so I can get my knowledge more ahead but since there is so many degrees you can get is hard to pick from but I also want to know if there is anyone here that knows more about them and where should I mostly sign up on.

I believe that some courses can be taken online with results similar to those that you would get from taking a course on campus. But generally, employers do not respect degrees earned entirely online as much as they respect degrees that require on-campus attendance, and this is for good reason.

Stay away from online courses. I honestly just don't think you get the education that you're paying for with them....

And not to be an ***, but you need a good grammar teacher to help you learn some punctuation...

Yeah online courses are a bad idea. I mean maybe some BS courses just to get the credit (make sure the real college you attend accepts the credits otherwise they're a waste) would be a good idea. If I were an HR person though, I would immediately put you in the reject pile just for having an online degree, no matter where its from. Going through the entire college experience, puts you that much farther into the game and you're much better off doing it I think. Best of luck

I give no credence to online colleges.

hmm , even if it was from devry? im not talking about cheap online college but rather the expensive ones that charge you per credit. you can get your associate , bachelor , master degree online. hmm thanks for the heads up . any more queries will be good.

kvnband - i though english took care of that heh.

is either this or community college ..bah

If I were an HR person though, I would immediately put you in the reject pile just for having an online degree, no matter where its from.
    I were a moderator though, I would immediately delete your post.

--
    As far as online degrees go, some are worth it, especially if you they have a physical campus too. A LOT of universities have online courses these days and most teachers want homework turned in electronically (Blackboard etc.) If you can go to a community college thats pretty good as well. Jus ttransfer to something else once you get the basic courses out of the way

i finished HS via online

Quote Originally Posted by peruviantalk
    hmm , even if it was from devry?
    Devry is not a bad school… in Atlanta many employers pulled from Devry, such as Lockheed Martin, Johnson and Johnson, Bellsouth, etc.

Devry has campuses and an online component. I’ve never seen their degrees, but I would guess there is no way to tell if you received online or on a campus.

You will find many people biased one way or another about schools like Devry, Strayer, Phoenix, etc. I’ve personally seen some top people graduate from those schools, but at the same time saw some idiots as well. But many are working adults looking to better themselves… to totally discount those individuals is insane.

It is already proven that it does not really matter where you get your degree, if you are good at your job. Of course, getting INTO a large company will be eaiser if you have a degree from a large school....
    Last edited by hekwu; 09-14-2006 at 01:46 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Well nothing beats the real-life college experience. What is actually your main objective on going through online college? Is it for knowledge or degree? If you aim for knowledge, allocate your tuition fees for books and your money will be well spent.
    Permagnus.Com-- Financial site with a human touch

By not going to an actual university, you are really missing out, I can promise you that. At college, you make friends that last the rest of your life - even closer than your high school buddies.

You are missing out on a LIFE CHANGING experience by not going...I can assure you. If you want a degree, I really suggest you go for the college experience..
    Kevin

Going to a class room definitely gives you a better education. I received my certificate in project management & organizational leadership from Villanova online, and it wasn't bad, but you still learn a whole lot more going to school. Hence why I'm getting my bachelors from from a non-online school.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    Going to a class room definitely gives you a better education. I received my certificate in project management & organizational leadership from Villanova online, and it wasn't bad, but you still learn a whole lot more going to school. Hence why I'm getting my bachelors from from a non-online school.
    Yep nothing like those hardcore group projects at crunch time to give you real world experience. Curse you business writing and CS 50. On the plus side having rigorous course work teaches you valuable time management.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?