Dedicated Hosting Critique

Hi Ho There,

My company is currently cosnidering a migration from 1and1 to a different dedicated provider. Currently we're unhappy with the level of support that we get. And hope to find better service elsewhere.

The intial thought was to find someone local, but it seems they're few and far between. I'm sure just because of the sheer magnitude of visitors someone may have a few things about the providers we're considering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

Local Providers:

ViaWest
    WestHost

Outside Providers
    OLM
    MediaTemple
    RackSpace
    2Advanced

RackSpace is a terrific company if they fit in your budget. I would highly recommend them.

Are you looking for a more cost-efficient solution or is quality your main priority?

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDedicated
    RackSpace is a terrific company if they fit in your budget. I would highly recommend them.

Are you looking for a more cost-efficient solution or is quality your main priority?
    I haven't been given that information, so I've tried to cover all the bases

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatex86
    I haven't been given that information, so I've tried to cover all the bases
    Actually it looks like the contract length for Rackspace is only 18 months compared to 24 Months for ViaWest and about $45 month/less.

Well than there you go - Use the search feature on the forums to look up companies. You'll usually pull up a lot of reviews and customer opinions.

Rackspace if it fits in your budget. LayeredTech is low budget but an excellent service provider.

Cool

There is no better level of support anywhere than Host For Web
    Not a "bargain" provider but reasonable and with exceptional support/top datacenter/etc. if you don't require a Windows OS.
    They really do have 24/7/365 support and while they have more techs on duty M-F daytime they still have support faster than most companies on week-ends & holidays.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

If you're looking for a managed solution, try Choopa.com, currently with them and very happy.

Another vote for RackSpace, I've used them for about 9 months and they are just awesome. A bit pricey but so so worth it.

We are also using liquidweb.com and hostgator.com, both of those are a bit less managed but still very nice for the money. Both have great support.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDedicated

I see this posting is a bit over a year old. Do you still recommend rackspace? I have been looking at them today for a manage dedicated server.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyH
    I see this posting is a bit over a year old. Do you still recommend rackspace? I have been looking at them today for a manage dedicated server.

Thanks
    I do, I've been using them since Jan 06 and love them, no problems and so quick to answer anything.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Rackspace is has an imaculent track record managed hosting - from the selection, I assume you're looking for a managed provider? That's a very important distinction to make first.

I know nothing of 2advanced hosting at all, or even that they had it until recently, but I have to give the www.2advanced.com Flash designers some credit - they do some amazing stuff, and have for a long time.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by qwidjib0
    Rackspace is has an imaculent track record managed hosting - from the selection, I assume you're looking for a managed provider? That's a very important distinction to make first.

I know nothing of 2advanced hosting at all, or even that they had it until recently, but I have to give the www.2advanced.com Flash designers some credit - they do some amazing stuff, and have for a long time.

Many I ask, when you say: “Managed Hosting”. Do they keep your server updated with all the patches and software updated? What do you think of the software they use? I forget the name of it but know it is not Cpanel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyH
    Many I ask, when you say: “Managed Hosting”. Do they keep your server updated with all the patches and software updated? What do you think of the software they use? I forget the name of it but know it is not Cpanel.

Thanks
    I believe they'll provide just about anything you need Kimberly - but you'd probably want to double check with RackSpace. A lot of managed companies have tiers of support to square with their client's skill levels, but I'm not too knowlegable about their model in particular.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

I had a lengthly conversation with rackspace a few months ago. Like most managed providers out there, 'yum install' and 'yum update' is about it. anything else costs an hourly fee. ask sales to let you speak with their tech staff.

just curious, what do they do for you to be described as 'terrific' and 'awesome'?

Quote Originally Posted by izzy10
    I had a lengthly conversation with rackspace a few months ago. Like most managed providers out there, 'yum install' and 'yum update' is about it. anything else costs an hourly fee. ask sales to let you speak with their tech staff.

just curious, what do they do for you to be described as 'terrific' and 'awesome'?
    Thanks for posting on the hourly fee. The host I have now will update everyone on an hourly fee so that makes me wonder if it would be just as easy to pay my host ever few months to update my cpanel.