How did you decide a name?

Oddly, I'm finding the hardest thing so far, is deciding of a good name and .com domain.

I want it to be brandable, something where people can look at it and remember it, such as "Google" and "Velcro".

How did you think of your business name and domain? What inspired you?

Most people here will tell you just to take a word and move the letters around, or come up with a really random word that has no meaning.

I looked at some Greek Gods and things like that to come up with my name. You could try using your last name.

Just make sure its unique, short and pretty easy to remember/say.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma Badger
    I want it to be brandable, something where people can look at it and remember it, such as "Google" and "Velcro".
    Well, velcrohosting.com is available!

Quote Originally Posted by thinkaholic
    Well, velcrohosting.com is available!
    There's a name that 'sticks' lol.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Plasma...

To be honest, I wouldn't take anyone's advice here. Don't listen to anybody except for yourself and your partners (if you have any).

A Brandable name is one of the most important things about your business.
    Take your time. Its better to come up with an amazing name late than to come up with a crappy name too early.

Think hard, think about what you want your name to express, and go from there.

Its all up to you.

Good luck

Although I can't come up with a name for your company, you can also try abbreviations, or maybe even a location like the city, state, or country you're in.

I agree it needs to be easy to remember, but be sure to find a related domain name, since that's where people will automatically go when they hear of or read your company name.

Well I derived mine from the Japanese language.

"Kodo" - Ground Breaking

Yamaha used it to describe their motorbikes (and I'm a Super Bike Rider), I read it in a magazine and thought "Wow".

So I use it for Kodo Gaming, Kodo Hosting, Kodo Design etc.

I liked it, short, easy to remember, nice sounding and has a strong foundation behind it.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I'm about to rip my hair out over this. I just can't think of anything that will make me happy to work along side and advertise.

I've tried word generators, thesaurous, rhyming and all sorts.

Well, my main target market is Indonesian (where I lived that is), so the name hostindonesia.com will be very suitable. And it's still available back then when I bought it.

A sticky and definitive name ;-)
    Permagnus.Com-- Financial site with a human touch

Theres nothing worse than finiding a good domain to find out it is taken and either goes to a site that already has a good domain or is going to a site trying to sell it for $8k.

I have a few in mind, I just started thinking of animals, which opens a good range.

Maybe you can think of a descriptor and then come up with a name.

Strength - Oak, Redwood, Flex, Power, etc.
    Speed - Cheetah, SR71, Light, Fast, etc.
    Color - Blue, Red, Silver, etc.
    Location - East, West, NY, New York, AU, etc
    Traits - Smart, Fun, Expert, etc.

Anyone else care to chime in?

take a piece of paper and start writing words, some with sense and some with no sense, then combine some....
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma Badger
    Oddly, I'm finding the hardest thing so far, is deciding of a good name and .com domain.
    Yes, getting the right name is probably one of the hardest part of this business. So many get this step horribly wrong, and suffer the consequences down the track, with something that can't be branded. There's so much work involved in choosing the right name, then securing all the relevant internet property around that name, including spelling variants, typos, plural/non plural and different extensions. It's a very difficult task.

One worded brands are the best. They're more memorable. Just be sure that your name is easy to spell, from hearing it.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostics
    Plasma...

To be honest, I wouldn't take anyone's advice here. Don't listen to anybody except for yourself and your partners (if you have any).
    Haha good advice

Quality domain names are valuable property, and no one will give you a specific name (maybe generic advice) the best advice I can give you without giving away my trade secret is to just work long and hard. Persistence pays off. You'd never guess what domains are available out there. Watch them like a hawk, maybe even backorder, etc.

As for hosting specifically, think about your target audience, and come up with something that is MEMORABLE. No hypens (for a hosting company) unless you can get the non-hyphenated, or plan to mostly get traffic from search and NEED the keywords.

Tsohost was (is) a clever little palindrome (the word is the same backwards as it is forwards), and we were able to secure the domains.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Try listing some key words about your market. Then list some action or adjective words and see if you can combo the words in some way to come up with a catchy name. Also try playing around with a thesaurus. Sometimes a word might not work for you but a synonym of that word may be a perfect fit.

If you really want to get your brandabl .com domain 1st decide what kind of eCommerce you will run and then you have to choose a relative short and significant name.You can also profit from the suggested names that some registrars provide such as Godaddy.com.
    Last edited by HayPay; 09-18-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    HayPay.com withdrawal services.
    switch your e-money to instant real cash.
    Easy to start - One time fee - No transaction fee.