choices narrowed down

ok well i was looking at other sites reviews,forums and around here some more and decided against 1and1.
    i need to keep the price down around the 3-8 a month
    some of the other sites that I have check out are:

- hostgator and they dont offer the sitebuilder with the lower account.
    - ipowerweb.com but they seem to be crap also.
    - dot5 but they seem to have some bad reviews too with cust support
    - thrilling hill also as they dont look like they oversell but they have bad reviews here about their servers and cust support
    - startlogic but bad reviews again and to go monthly its 14 a month to get the cheaper price you have to sign up for atleast a year
    - have not found to much wrong with hostmonster just says they are a spin off of bluehost
    - godaddy. They seem to be in about the same bout as 1and1

looks like hostmonster might be the best choice for me whats your opinions.
    if you use them how are they. have you used their built in sitebuilder. is it pretty easy to use.

im going this week to buy a book on dreamweaver 2004 and/or front page. so i can build my own site (hopefully)

well i just got off with a conversation with support at bluehost/hostmonster and they answered fast and all questions were answered.
    i was going to go with the 3 month plan at 53.85 which includes the $30 setup fee. if i like the service i can order the 12 month plan for like 17.55 more. sounds pretty good to me. bu its a little more then what i wanted to spend.

This is a spin off of a prior post of mine but decided to open a different one on these hosts the other was mainly on 1and1

Thanks
    dawg

I've seen some bad reports toward 1&1, but I've been using them for several months now with no problems other than the sometimes difficult to communicate with support (they are outsourced to the Philipines). My uptime and load speeds have been excellent... the only time my sites were down for any significant amount of time was when their entire data center lost it's backbone connection for a short while... even their own website was down! They came back up just a short while later and no problems since. They also do not overload their servers as bad as some would make it seem... there are about 650 domains on my server... many overselling hosts pack well over 1000 per box. Overall (only exception being the outsourced support) I dig em.

Hi,

The hosts you have in mind are mostly the big players in the current hosting industry. Just dig around WebHostingTalk and use the Search function to look for reviews/comments on your host.

Be sure to do your research, do a comparison of features/pricing/setup fees (hidden fees) and also read their TERMS OF SERVICE before signing up to see if any bad restrictions they put in place.

Also try sending them a sales email if you want just to see their response time.

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I just reread your post and saw that I could offer a wee bit more info for you... before I had kinda stopped (only skimmed past) the decided against 1&1 and went from there.

I tried HostMonster not long ago, didnt personally have any issues at all, but have read of many people bumping into the new CPU restrictions a little too easily while doing such common tasks as backing up a database and dont want to start building my little "empire" there with them not offering any higher plans to grow with. You might want to keep an eye on the Bluehost forums for a few days and get a feel for what their customers are experiencing.

I never used their site builing software, but I have used 1&1's just to see what it would do. Keeping in mind that I have always built my own, I found it to be ok, but when you use this kind of stuff you are completely at the mercy of the software generated code for your SEO and from what I could tell that wouldnt be too good. I never left one up long enough to see how well it would do with the search engines beyond my own guess, but I would definitely only recommend using such tools to get something up quick and then busting your butt learning to build your own real fast.

last night i went and bought a book on dreamweaver to teach me about its features and how to use it.

i am just going to use the online sitebuilder at the beginning to get it up till i learn dreamweaver.

the site that im going to have will have maybe 50 people on it so i dont think i will have any worries about the cpu usage.
    its just a small site for a local mothers or multiples group.

thanks for the help.

You might have more luck looking at smaller hosts like ASO (A Small Orange). Smaller hosts will provide you with personalized support and usually better uptime figures. Good luck with your search.

i thought i put a small orange up there. they do look good but it doesnt look like they offer the sitebuilder.
    once i am able to build my own site i will heavily think about them as they seem to be a very good company from the reviews here. but until then i am limited to the ones that offer the sitebuilder.

i think i would rather go with one of the bigger companies just because i dont want to look at my site one day to see that the company is gone.

Do you mean the http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/sitebuilder/ for site builder? or any sitebuilder? like Ex: http://info.soholaunch.com/ ?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

no im actually talking about the sitebuilder that the host provides. an online builder.
    this is just a temp thing until i can learn dreamweaver. i ju7st need the site up and running by this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawgs
    no im actually talking about the sitebuilder that the host provides. an online builder.
    this is just a temp thing until i can learn dreamweaver. i ju7st need the site up and running by this weekend
    If I were you, I'd actually spend time using Dreamweaver/Frontpage and get the site done right from scratch, and not look for a online site builder. Don't be in a rush to get hosting, you'll regret it afterwards.

Also, regarding your comment about smaller hosts leaving the industry overnight -- this mainly applies to resellers and kiddy hosts who want to make money, those who have invested a great deal of money and time into their hosting company won't be leaving anytime soon. I'm not saying "omg don't look at those hosts they all suck", I just don't like when people don't consider smaller hosts due to this. FYI, big hosts disappear too -- read the whp threads.

Good luck with your hunt.

After using several different hosting sites, but was not happy.
    So then doing comparisons, again. Better late than never.
    I switched my sites Hosting-Marketers.com

They have full features, very low prices, and incredible service.
    During comparison, they were far ahead;
    and after using their service, I have been extremely happy.

i thought i put a small orange up there. they do look good but it doesnt look like they offer the sitebuilder.
    ASO do have a sitebuilder.

hmm didnt c that on their site.
    do you have a link to it?

also if you or anyone else has used it, is it pretty easy to use?

do you know if you can add extra storage on an account, i see you can add bandwidth but not storage?

do they have a phone number i can call to ask questions or is it all email support?

hmm didnt c that on their site.
    do you have a link to it?

also if you or anyone else has used it, is it pretty easy to use?

do you know if you can add extra storage on an account, i see you can add bandwidth but not storage?

do they have a phone number i can call to ask questions or is it all email support?
    I would contact their sales team with these questions, as they would be able to answer it best.

well i finally made my choice and went with hostgator.

useing the online support chat feature i talked with a couple of differnt people over the last couple of days. they were very helpfull, nice and professional.
    the first person i spoke with gave me a link to a coupon, the demo of the sitebuilder (wasnt on their site), and a link to a dreamweaver how-to site.

i was very impressed with this and even though it was out of my budget i decided to go with HG. well that and all the reviews here.

no this newbie just has toi figure out how to use everything for the first time.

thanks again to everyone on these forums the responded here and in the other posts that i read through.

Congrats, I wish you much luck with them!