* VPS for $4.95. Comments?

Westhost provides VPS for all their plans. THe cheapest one is $4.95 (Dedicated IP included) . I would appreciate your comments about this offer. I tried their online support (excelent) and they told me they do not charge extra for VPS support.

This is the first time I find VPS for such a low fee and it looks "a little too good" to me but I have read many positive reviews about westhost.

drgdiaz

Hi,

I personally wouldn't expect too much from a $5 VPS but again things are getting cheaper and cheaper and if they can find any profit margin from supporting a $5 VPS, that's truly good for them

I wouldnt expect too much from the VPS in terms of speed or uptime for $5 but it wouldn't be bad for someone to start and test things around as a way to learn about the control panel and server administration side of things.

http://www.westhost.com/vps-web-hosting.html does seem very impressive for the price but I believe I do see few restrictions.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

That is pretty crazy. I can't see this as being any more than a repackaged shared account or a VPS with such minute resources that render it useless.

You could use it for a dns server.

You know it will give you nothing but headache.
    Why do you even bother with the idea?

looks to me like shared hosting with ssh you get no root access

Many thanks to all people posting their comments!

Westhost offers (C&P):
    - Install your own applications
    - Administrative Control
    (root-like)
    - Independent Secure
    Environment
    - Dedicated Web Server
    - Dedicated Mail Server
    - Dedicated Database Server
    - Dedicated FTP Server

• Full control of the web server configuration (Apache), including PHP, mod_perl, and other server-side technologies and modules.
    • Full control of the e-mail server (Sendmail) configuration.
    • Full control of MySQL configuration.
    • Full control of most Perl modules.
    They are online since 1998 and the BBB records show all issues resolved, Most WHT reviews are positive and their webhostmagazin ranking for Unix/Linux is excellent: 2nd place. Those records make you think ...

http://www.westhost.com/basic-personal-hosting.html said that it is a VPS plan but from what I read from the specs, it seems to scream Virtual Hosting. There was no mentioned of root access and IP is optional. Usually, root access and at least 1 IP address is part and parcel of a VPS. One more detail lacking is how much CPU and memory slice you get with the account.

However for that low price, you might want to give them a try and come back with a review in a month's time.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Westhost doesn't offer true VPS hosting...all they give you is SSH access to your shared hosting account. You don't have your own memory, cpu, or root access.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Westhost doesn't offer true VPS hosting...all they give you is SSH access to your shared hosting account. You don't have your own memory, cpu, or root access.
    Thanks for that info! No RAM, no CPU, no root, then what does it have to do with VPS?

Have a look at this page:
    http://www.westhost.com/personal-web-hosting.html

It says "Each plan comes with its own Virtual Private Server (VPS), giving you the latest in personal web hosting technology."

Then, look at the specs listed.

Conclusion: They are normal shared hosts, what Westhost is trying to do, IMO, is to throw in some fancy words for marketing. I will stay away from them just because they're trying to mislead the customers.
    DevOps!

The dividing line (in my mind, at least) between a Virtual Server and some other thing, is that a VPS should allow you to run as root, and install whatever servers and databases you like, subject to disk and memory size limitations. The concept of a "VPS" that won't let you run something like lighttpd with as many domains as you like on it seems laughable.

Seems a little weird. Why not write to them and ask them to explain?

What Westhost is calling a VPS is different than what other providers call a VPS.

It uses Sphera, which does not give you true root access. What makes it different than shared hosting is you *do* have control over your particular configuration of apache, mysql, php, etc setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Canglan
    I will stay away from them just because they're trying to mislead the customers.
    I was about to say the exact same thing. Stay far away from any company that resorts to such tactics to try to lure in customers. These are not VPS accounts.

I did some digging in their forums, and these accounts (at least in the past) would "stop" for longish (often for a minute) durations, with alarming frequency. The customers seemed rather irritated with this, and Westhost promised a long-term fix (where long-term might be months or years). I think I'm accurately characterizing the situation, but interested parties might want to peruse their forums and see exactly what was said.

One forum thread can be found here:
    http://forums.westhost.com/showthrea...2902#post32902

Thanks for the questions and feedback. Allow me to make a few clarifications on our Virtual Private Servers:

Although we've been offering our VPS hosting for over 3 years now, the increase in popularity for technologies like Xen and from companies like Swsoft (with Virtuozzo) have caused consumers to create their own interpretations (over time) of what a VPS is and isn't, regardless of what other technologies are out there. Most commonly noticed is the separation of the definition for a VPS and the definition for virtualization.

This has obviously made it more difficult to explain our technology to those that come with their own interpretation, but it doesn't change the fact that we still offer virtual private servers.

What our Virtual Private Servers give you:
    ==========================================
    - Your own isolated and secure environment
    - Full control of the web server configuration (Apache)
    - Full control over PHP, mod_perl, and other server-side technologies and modules
    - Full control of the e-mail server (Sendmail) configuration.
    - Full control of MySQL configuration
    - Ability to install your own applications (want the newest version of PHP, MySQL, etc., install it). Don't know how, ask and we'll do it for you.
    - Your own users, processes, and files
    - Your own IP address
    - All at an extremely low cost

What makes our Virtual Private Servers a little different from some others:
    ===========================================================
    - Full root access is not available, but a majority of the files within a VPS are accessible to the user. Permissions on some root owned files can be changed on an case by case basis. We retain a level of administration so that server management isn't required. For those that want the benefits above, but still like to know that we will make security patches and software updates, and like the auto-installed applications and features, this configuration is great.

- Although we don't guarantee CPU and RAM on our $3.95 VPS plan, we do manage our resources effectively and provide a high quality of availability and service. At that price, you simply couldn't get any reasonable percentage of the server guaranteed, so it makes more sense to manage usage rather than restrict, allowing utilization as needed.

The bottom line is that you are getting a tremendous amount of control, access, and a completely different platform than you'd see with a traditional shared hosting account, yet at the same time, our pricing and value kills that of other virtual private server technologies offering a lot of the same services. Combine that with our 24/7 in-house support, reliability, and coming up on 9 years of business experience and stability, and you have virtual private server hosting that may not be common, but it certainly meets and exceeds the needs of most. Our recommendation is to try it out, as we have 30-day money back guarantee.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion. Again, feedback is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by nicedream
    It uses Sphera, which does not give you true root access. What makes it different than shared hosting is you *do* have control over your particular configuration of apache, mysql, php, etc setups.
    Interesting, thanks. There's more info on the Sphera site.

Whether it's a 'true' VPS or not, with the optional dedicated IP this does seem like it could be a cost-effective solution to the common problem where a shared server has a single mail-server IP that gets blacklisted.

Westhost, can you confirm that sendmail runs on the dedicated IP if that option is chosen?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by westhost

The bottom line is that you are getting a tremendous amount of control, access, and a completely different platform than you'd see with a traditional shared hosting account, yet at the same time, our pricing and value kills that of other virtual private server technologies offering a lot of the same services..
    Thank you for your feedback Westhost! I was looking for shared hosting when I came across with Westhost, did some research and found excellent records about Westhost, even a local forum with a few complaints, which gave even more credibility, and excellent presales support but ... westhost offered VPS for all accounts. I got confused and asked for comments.

Offering VPS for all accounts could take away possible customers because they might think they will be responsible for installation, maintenance, security, etc. Well, at least that was my case until I asked:

After reading these postings, if I were looking for VPS would not go for westhost. But if I were looking for improved shared hosting, westhost could be an excellent selection because it really offers advantages. If I try it I will post my experience here

Looks like regular web hosting to me got my hopes up for nothing v.v I needed a cheap 11-15 dollar vps too mannnn lol
    WebHostingOpinions.com - Based entirely on web hosting user reviews
    Be heard and submit your review review here.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelagent
    Looks like regular web hosting to me got my hopes up for nothing v.v I needed a cheap 11-15 dollar vps too mannnn lol
    There are plenty of VPS providers in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    Westhost, can you confirm that sendmail runs on the dedicated IP if that option is chosen?
    Foobic, an IP based account would use its own IP address for sendmail.

nvm about my post...i misread :-P

If you are paying for and expecting a VPS and they are not quoting min and max memory and CPU then you are not getting the current concept of a VPS.

I am using HostForWeb.com for $39.95/month, no setup fee, 24/7 level one chat and two hour level three email support. I have four accounts with them. Use "referred by tftaylor" and I get a spiff

Quote Originally Posted by nicedream
    There are plenty of VPS providers in that price range.
    Could you give a list of names?

I'm looking at 9-11 but I can consider 11-15.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer View Post
    After reading these postings, if I were looking for VPS would not go for westhost. But if I were looking for improved shared hosting, westhost could be an excellent selection because it really offers advantages. If I try it I will post my experience here
    I know this is an old thread but I must honor my words 1+ year later:

Westhost
    I have an account with Westhost 1+ year ago. Their VPS is an isolated environment within a shared server and definitely: It has many advantages over common shared accounts.

Besides, they have the best and fastest support I have ever found during 11+ years online. Fastest means seconds here because of their live chat

Webhostmagazine:

This link http://webhostmagazine.com/bg/review_un.asp lists FutureQuest and Westhost as best hosts.

I have accounts with both and am very happy with them
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

freeflyer, can you provide us with a domain hosted with westhost? I'm curios on how well they load
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel View Post
    freeflyer, can you provide us with a domain hosted with westhost? I'm curios on how well they load
    I don't see how he cant do that since he had it 1+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel View Post
    Sure! Please, could any moderator ask for it and I will PM my domain? I also think this kind of comments must be verified
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

It's not a VPS, its a highly restricted shell account.

I contacted them a few years ago requesting some info and that's what I got back - unless they've changed their setup now, which I highly doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by VPSByte View Post
    It's not a VPS, its a highly restricted shell account.
    Why is it restricted? Please, could you provide some examples?
    Last edited by freeflyer; 10-06-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: wrong tag
    Gonzalo

Well, be aware that a VPS isn't going to make any profit at $5, infact its giving loss to the provider.

Misleading customers with words like "Unlimited" or such would lead you nowhere except in dark and your account suspended with money in their hands.
    Universal Hosts - Premium Web Hosting for non premium Prices
    Now providing Virtual Private Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinax View Post
    Well, be aware that a VPS isn't going to make any profit at $5, infact its giving loss to the provider.
    It is not a true VPS. It is an isolated environment within a shared server. I.e.: Something between a VPS and a shared account

http://westhost.com/vps-web-hosting.html

Misleading customers with words like "Unlimited" or such would lead you nowhere except in dark and your account suspended with money in their hands.
    They do not offer unlimited services. For instance you pay $10 mo for 5 GB DS and 100 GB BW, plus a $19.95 set up fee. (Fortunately, I already have an account with them because I do not like set up fees )
    Gonzalo

levat2 Guest
    $3.95 for VPS imposible

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer View Post
    Why is it restricted? Please, could you provide some examples?
    A "real" VPS will give you root access.

This does not.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    A "real" VPS will give you root access.

This does not.
    Thank you! It is restricted compared to a "real" VPS and a lot more powerful than common shared hosting
    Gonzalo

they not support
    cpanel