Deleted ifconfig file

I have a Cobalt Raq4 and the ifconfig file was accidentally deleted. How can I go about getting back in to this computer to get some files off it. After Im able to backup some web sites I plan on formating it and starting over. With no ethernet, no video and nothing that can be done on the serial console, Im not sure what to do! If any one can please point me in the right direction to restore this file I would really appreciate it.

You can use a restore CD to get the system in working condition again, but this is removes all the data on your disk(s) and therefore may not be the first choice.
    SunnyScript (CGI scripts, custom software development) -
    STAR ENTERPRISE (Internet and Business Services) -

I'm guessing you've nuked the primary (ifcfg-eth0) file? There are no other IP addresses assigned to the server (which would be in alias files like ifcfg-eth0:0 etc), or to the second NIC? If there are, you should be able to get in normally.

Also try resetting the IP via the LCD (hold down the S button, etc.) -- that should rewrite the file for you.

If resetting via the LCD doesn't work, as another option you *should* be able to go in via the serial port as long as your settings are correct, the port is enabled, etc. See the null modem cable howto at for configuration options.

Once you get in, restoring the file itself is pretty easy. Just become root, then cd to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and open a text editor. Put this in:

where the various a.b.c.d etc match your network requirements.

Exit and save the file as ifcfg-eth0, then stop/restart network services (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart). Your ethernet should start working again. - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos