Hybrid View

I need a new SERVER COMPANY so bad!

I currently been hosting my servers with ServerWizards.com, but it was just going to slow for me, I do about 100k - 150k uniques per day. I have two web servers load balancing, a seperate mysql server, a seperate image and seperate uploading server, and my servers still load like fricken christmas with them, so I decided to try OrangeFiber.com. I switch to them, and my site goes down practically for two days, I cannot seem to find a fricken server company who can host me, manage, and actually be reliable and fast? What is going on, why can't any of these places work, I just really want a server company who can help me, I am in desperate need of a company that is reliable, fast, and can manage my servers. All my servers with them are currently 50megabit lines, so please email me at ecaandrew@comcast.net if any server companies out there can help me.

You need to relax and continue to try to work it out with SW. Making a moving decision in you state-of-mind is probably going to lead to more problems. Only Bad things happen whe you are desperate and making big changes.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    You need to relax and continue to try to work it out with SW. Making a moving decision in you state-of-mind is probably going to lead to more problems. Only Bad things happen whe you are desperate and making big changes.
    been trying to work it out with SW for about 2 months, and it never worked, so i finally switched, and guess what, didnt work either, I wasn't desperate for the first two months, if anything I was lenient with them... Way to much downtime, losing way to much clients, traffic, and especially money.

Does anyone know another solution for a reliable, fast, managed dedicated server? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    Very wise words.

perfectphp if you decide to move do some research and take your time. Orangefiber isn't a fly by night operation. If you contact them and express your concerns I am sure they will work to try and resolve things for you.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

I would add that you might ask OF for suggestions who can manage the server and also talk to the many server management companies that hang around WHT. A search for Managed Server will give you lots of choices with contact information.

Good Luck
    Last edited by music; 09-12-2006 at 08:20 PM.

It's really not a good idea to move your server alot... it's a big headace, i'd say to give OrangeFiber another try.

I got one yesterday from a place called rippleweb. Nice hardware, and a good price, and the server was set up in less than 24 hrs. Cpanel installed, IP's installed, everything you would spend 2 hours doing, was done. IP's had absolutely no history. The company also had very little history, but so far, coming up on the second day there's nothing to complain about - and I try to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone
    - and I try to complain.
    Honesty is a good thing
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

and I try to complain.
    Trying to complain? you are not trying to look for faults are you? ie find complaints, post in wht then find a new host? hope not

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    Trying to complain? you are not trying to look for faults are you? ie find complaints, post in wht then find a new host? hope not
    I don't have much problem with server providers. But I have been known to rant about annoying sh%#@ way too long. I'm trying to become a better person though

I thought the $169 price on a dual 3ghz xeon was pretty good at rippleweb.com, and it scores over 200 on the WHT benchmark script.

I ended up getting the server above, 2x320gb sata drives in raid1, cpanel, 16 ips
    for $250/mo and might get a couple more. The same order at another place popular around here would have been $369 w/ smaller - dual 250GB HDs and slightly smaller cpu

This morning I destroyed the server OS. They responded in 5 minutes and started fixing it. And the backend customer portal is pretty nice. I have a feeling they will become well known around here.
    Last edited by page-zone; 09-13-2006 at 02:43 PM.

I got one yesterday from a place called rippleweb. Nice hardware, and a good price, and the server was set up in less than 24 hrs. Cpanel installed, IP's installed, everything you would spend 2 hours doing, was done. IP's had absolutely no history. The company also had very little history, but so far, coming up on the second day there's nothing to complain about - and I try to complain.
    Jim,

Thanks for the positive feedback, hope we continue to please.

Raphael
    Ripple Web
    RippleWeb.com
    Dedicated Servers - Private Cloud Services - Colocation

servers overloading is not a factor of the provider - its your software and how it handles the particular load you have. Instead of changing providers it sounds like you need to either optimize some code or mysql indexing etc - or beef up ram/cpu power. Few/any 'managed' services include getting into your 'database' to optimize indexes, or re-write software to work more efficiently, so be sure to spell that requirement out if thats why you are frustrated. Usualy they just plug in the boxes, the load balancer, but its up to you to deal with the application level - even the top managed places don't touch your data. For what you need it sounds like you need an employee or developer - not a managed server, to get into the core of your application and see what can be done.

Some suggestion I've seen on some of the biggest sites we host - cut down on the mysql load by removing silly things like a mysql 'update' EVERY web page hit to track stats and create indexes on common data searches in the mysql tables. Take a look at MYSQL's usage - try to make sure your update/insert to select (writes vs reads) are under 5-10% maximum. In other words if you are constantly writing data to the database, thats a problem for performance since tables get locked and 'selects' will get delayed. Tricks to solve that are a plenty - but look at delayed inserts, and other buffering. But this is all stuff a developer needs to look at for you, doubtfull any server management place is going to get into that.
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam

Developer here... (this is my account, letting site owner use it for this thread so I can monitor it).

I write extremely optomized code. The problems that we have are very much server related because the problems that have arised in the past have taken usually a week to fix when it was a problem regarding the OS installation or something else like a memory leak or otherwise. MySQL INSERTs and UPDATEs are are used very sparingly, and even at that, we have a seperate mysql server and it's even worse then when it was all on one server running roughly the same traffic (if even higher).

I have another client that used the two hosting companies specified and it literally took almost 15 days (if more) to just get his three server setup hardly working before the traffic on his site started to be effected and we had to go back to the original host.

The problems that arise are problems on the server hosting provider's side, not mine. I don't intend to be mean by this statement, but please don't treat us as if we're a small webmaster that doesn't know anything. We've been doing this work for a long time and when we need a really good webhost for this great site I intend to see suggestions to other companies that are more reliable, not suggestions that we already know.

Thanks for the help so far, could you guys suggest some companies that are well known for good managed support and bandwidth allotment?

the reason the 'same load' for mysql seems SLOWER when you moved it to a seperate server, is simply that there is a lot more overhead to open a tcp port 3306 connection to mysql than there is on a local socket (localhost) for mysql. Obviously more cpu is better, but you have a small 'drop' by taking on that tcp over head in the equation when first moving.

OS installation and MEMORY leaks? Can you be at all more specific there - what operating system exactly are you using (this is unix right, or perhaps you are on windows?). You aren't using something like cPanel ontop of this are you (or yes i can believe the memory leaks even on a unix based platform!).

But honestly, you just told me 'you tried 2 seperate server hosting companies' and have the same issue. Whats the common element? Your traffic vs hardware limits, and your software. I know you dont want to hear that but it may well be the case your traffic, with your software, 'cant function' on the hardware you have specified.

Here is a tip - if you are having OS install problems and memory leaks (in mysql? in the kernel?). Get a plain vanilla redhat enterprise server (centos 4.3, 4.4)- install JUST apache and mysql as needed. Dont put anything like cPanel in there. IF the management company's you use are saying 'you need cPanel to qualify for their management' then run for the hills - as you clearly need a stream lined optimized server - just running what you need. There should NEVER be memory leaks, thats pretty close to un-heard of these days unless perhaps you guys are using some very old software (which i doubt since you just said you tried a 2nd host provider just recently, they would install the latest no doubt).

and as requested- rackspace.com can handle management issues in minutes/hours - and should easily solve OS install issues and memory leaks in short order for you. But it will cost a pretty penny - but what does lost revenue to down time cost int he long haul?
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam

www.route256.com

I can't say anything more.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I would listen to some of the other opinions to sit and wait see how things go.

However if you're going to move regardless. Checkout www.steadfast.net, they have an absolutely amazing network in terms of stability, speed, pings etc. Staff is A+ as well.