Question SoftLayer's Intel Xeon 5050 3GHz Dempsey vs. ThePlanet's Dual Xeon 2.8GHz

I have my box with TP: Dual Xeon 2.8GHz and thinking to get one with SoftLayer. Just I don't know how fast those new dual core Dempsey CPU's are in compare to those used by TP. Should I buy "dual processor single core" or is it Ok to get "single processor dual core" ?

Its a decent amount faster, and you would have the option to double the speed (2 dual core cpus) down the road. I would go with the 1x 5050 vs 2x 2.8ghz single core cpus.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Southern California (Premium Equinix Based DC), Northern Utah (Large 120k Sq' WebNX ran) and NYC Based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices on a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Hello,

It is so much faster...
    Thanks,
    Melih Sarioglu
    "Your success is our success."
    www.kebirhost.net

Do you mean SL's Dempsey is so much faster than 2 x 2.8GHz TP's Xeon ?

Why go Dempsey when Woodcrest is out?

Woodcrest is expensive because they have it "Intel Dual Core Dual Xeon Woodcrest 5130". I don't need 4 CPUs

Quote Originally Posted by ckissi
    Woodcrest is expensive
    Say's who? Dempsy is an older Dual Core XEON just like Woodcrest, except Woodcrest is allot cheaper, faster and more efficiant, you should look it up. And you can get single Dual Core Woodcrest anywhere these days for the price of a Single XEON.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive
    Say's who? Dempsy is an older Dual Core XEON just like Woodcrest, except Woodcrest is allot cheaper, faster and more efficiant, you should look it up. And you can get single Dual Core Woodcrest anywhere these days for the price of a Single XEON.

Woodcrest is not an "OLDER" xeon core.

Dempsey is an old xeon core, same as the regular Xeon x.xghz, the 51xx series Xeons are the new woodcrest cores

I meant as in both are dual core.

I meant I cannot get single Woodcrest with Softlayer , I can get only 2 x Woodcrest , so it's expensive. It's over $300 with SCSI

Woodcrest is actually the new Xeon core, they've been out for a very little period of time and are very expensive. Softlayer probably doesn't have the hardware in stock yet to replace its Dempsey's with Woodcrest's, however I expect them to do so soon as Woodcrest is a superior core to Dempsey.

Alex

That's too bad that they don't offer single woodcrest.

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Woodcrest is actually the new Xeon core, they've been out for a very little period of time and are very expensive. Softlayer probably doesn't have the hardware in stock yet to replace its Dempsey's with Woodcrest's, however I expect them to do so soon as Woodcrest is a superior core to Dempsey.

Alex
    Well said, the WoodCrest is Intel's latest version of the Xeon in which the Woodcrest is a superior core to Dempsey with it's 1333Mhz FSB (and each cpu has 4MB of L2 cache). It appears the WoodCrest outperforms the AMD Dual Core Opteron due to Intel's new Core microarchitecture (well done Intel!!).

The Planet is currently offering a (1) Dual Core Intel 5130 Woodcrest Processor ($249.00/mo , $0.00 setup--use WHT as promo code) as well as a (2) Dual Core Intel 5130 Woodcrest Processor ($399.00/mo, $0.00 setup--use WHT as promo code) . Great deal on an incredible, reliable server in my opinion.