AWBS, enom, directi questions

I had an email conversation with AWBS sales. They didn't know the answers to these questions and told me to post them on their AWBS pre-sales forum. Nobody has responded after several days. These are the questions that I asked them, and wonder if anyone here knows these answers.

AWBS Questions:

1. I'm an enom reseller, but have previously only purchased domains for myself. As a reseller, can I purchase domains for myself through AWBS as I have in the past, and see them both at enom and inside of AWBS?

2. If it just shows the new ones that I purchase through AWBS, how do I get my previously purchased into AWBS?

3. I've never sold a domain to anyone else. However, when someone purchases a domain, the domain belongs to that person. Does it also make a separate account at enom that they can log into? If it does, is the information then stored two different places, enom and awbs? I need an overview of how all of this works.

Other questions:
    4. I've heard good about enom. However, I'm also thinking about Directi. Unlike enom, Directi follows through on correspondence. The biggest problem that I have with them is they don't speak English. However, their competition doesn't speak, so Directi is still in the running. Directi's free API software is FAR superior to what enom gives out. You also make $0.66 more per domain with Directi. What am I missing?

5. I worked with the enom API. It's sort OK, but the domain spinner is nothing like what is in the PDQ package. I don't understand what they are thinking with the packaged Registry Rocket. It's $99.00/yr, the cost per transaction is $0.95 per transaction PLUS 3% and their domains cost more than any other registrar. Is it possible to use it with your own merchant account?

6. I see that both enom and Directi offer hosting. I have no idea how good either of them are. I'd be interested in your comments on not only their hosting, but other services.

This will be a serious effort and I would like to not start off on the right foot.

1. I'm an enom reseller, but have previously only purchased domains for myself. As a reseller, can I purchase domains for myself through AWBS as I have in the past, and see them both at enom and inside of AWBS?
    Yes, the domains you buy from AWBS will be very much there in your enom account and you will be able to manage it from enom as well.

2. If it just shows the new ones that I purchase through AWBS, how do I get my previously purchased into AWBS?
    AWBS has a domain migration utility, you will be able to add the domains you have in your enom account with just one click.

3. I've never sold a domain to anyone else. However, when someone purchases a domain, the domain belongs to that person. Does it also make a separate account at enom that they can log into? If it does, is the information then stored two different places, enom and awbs? I need an overview of how all of this works.
    If you go with AWBS + Enom then all the domains are added to a single account at enom end. No separate user account is created by AWBS at enom. In case of directI as your back-end, AWBS does creates a separate account for each user.

Other questions:
    4. I've heard good about enom. However, I'm also thinking about Directi. Unlike enom, Directi follows through on correspondence. The biggest problem that I have with them is they don't speak English. However, their competition doesn't speak, so Directi is still in the running. Directi's free API software is FAR superior to what enom gives out. You also make $0.66 more per domain with Directi. What am I missing?
    I register more domains with directi, purely because of price. Enom's API is far better and easy to understand, manage, debug. Everyone has his own choice, but I hate DirectI's API. To register a new domain, ENOM's API does it with one command. With directI, 1) User account is created. 2)Default user profile is added, 3) the domain is added. It has a lot of downtime as well and registering a .us domain with them is just pain. Even AWBS fails many times.

5. I worked with the enom API. It's sort OK, but the domain spinner is nothing like what is in the PDQ package. I don't understand what they are thinking with the packaged Registry Rocket. It's $99.00/yr, the cost per transaction is $0.95 per transaction PLUS 3% and their domains cost more than any other registrar. Is it possible to use it with your own merchant account?
    No ideya!

6. I see that both enom and Directi offer hosting. I have no idea how good either of them are. I'd be interested in your comments on not only their hosting, but other services.
    Not used them, but from what I have heard, both are no good.
    Bagfull Interweb Inc.
    Windows and Linux Affordable Hosting and Cheap Domain Names.
    Powerful Dual Xeon Processors, 24x7 Support, PayPal Accepted
    http://www.bagfull.net/

Quote Originally Posted by bagfull
    If you go with AWBS + Enom then all the domains are added to a single account at enom end. No separate user account is created by AWBS at enom.
    Now that's something I didn't expect. It seems like the domain would be regsitered to me then, but the API must have a way of handling it so it reflects the correct registree. Can I then also see those domains from the enom control panel or just the AWBS control panel?

I wonder what happens if Directi or any registrar goes out of business? I would think that would be instant massive headache for all domains.

In the mean time, I've also looked at Stargate. Do you have any thoughts or experience with them?
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 09-19-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect
    In the mean time, I've also looked at Stargate. Do you have any thoughts or experience with them?
    They are using the same panel as DirectI and this is the one and only their downside.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    They are using the same panel as DirectI and this is the one and only their downside.
    Gotcha! I thought Logicboxes was part of Directi. I've heard people aren't fond of that software from multiple people now. I went through the movies and demo, but that's not like actually using it. I would be grateful if you could tell me the parts you don't like. I've been through enough false starts this year. I suppose if I used something like AWBS with it, I could side-step that issue.

Pricewise, it seems like Stargate and enom are about the same or...

I would really like to get started off on the right foot. Once you have customers, it must be hard to move from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect
    Unlike enom, Directi follows through on correspondence.
    This really surprises me. How did you correspond with eNom? Did you open a case via their help center or did you call? What were you asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Divaqs
    This really surprises me. How did you correspond with eNom? Did you open a case via their help center or did you call?
    Email and phone, several times. Don't leave a message, it's a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divaqs
    What were you asking?
    Simple questions about if it was possible to use PDQ with your own merchant account, I can't find a name spinner in the API like I see in PDQ, domain prices like .info and cc for less than $6.95, etc. I did get through finally, and once, after a week of trying, I talked to someone in sales who was knowledgeable.

They're a reputable registrar. I'd consider using them but for their logicboxes control panel. The owner frequents these forums, which is a plus.

Unlike enom, Directi follows through on correspondence.
    I remember seeing you make this claim more than once. Support emails are unreliable AT BEST with pretty much all registrars. You need to use their ticket system, as Divaqs suggested.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    They're a reputable registrar. I'd consider using them but for their logicboxes control panel.
    I hear people say that, but I don't know why they don't like them I did go through the movies on them. Maybe if you front-end it with AWBS?

As you know, I'm not a reseller, so I barely know what AWBS, is and not qualified to answer that question.

As to your question about logicboxes/directi. It's just plain klunky. It's hard to get a list of all domains where you can select the ones you'd like to edit, for example. You change your email address and that changes your login name. I've forgetten most of the other stuff I didn't like Directi's dns servers are notoriously unstable. I don't know if that's improved of late.

Maybe with AWBS as the front-end that might change things. I just don't know.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    It's hard to get a list of all domains where you can select the ones you'd like to edit, for example. You change your email address and that changes your login name. I've forgetten most of the other stuff I didn't like
    Got it! I missed that.