please recommend a dedicated host for SLES

I need a dedicated host for SLES (suse linux enterprise server). I have the license, etc. I don't necessarily need a "managed" server. I just need a host with REAL 24/7 support that can have their hands on the hardware any time to insure anything is fixed right away. For SLES I just need them to have someone who can fix an emergency situation, like a boot hang on kernal upgrade, a very simple thing as long as the person isn't a monkey-brain.

It would also be best if the host was somewhere in or near Massachusetts.

A friend of mine recommended either Rackspace.com or 1and1.com My main problem with rackspace is i'll be paying for a managed server, when I really only need emergency care (hopefully won't need it).

I need only very well established, dependable host with 24/7 REAL support for emergencies.

any help would be much appreciated.

We need a little more information like... Price, Server Specifications and near Massachusetts as in NY, NJ, NH, VT, ME ect....

EDIT: Adding CT and sourrounding areas
    Last edited by Axcelx; 09-12-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

Your forgot CT

Definitely don't go with 1and1, read the forums about them, they have horrible customer service/support. Rackspace as you said is fully managed, but also would cost you $$$$$...

And like what Crucial said, we need more of your requirements...

Processor type: ?
    Price Range: ?

I've been paying $270 per month, plus extra for addl. harddrive I use for mirror with aplus.net (not happy, to say the least) I thought that was reasonable, but what do I know. rackspace would be $440/mo, which I could pay if nec., but it seemed expensive. so, that is my price range. I wouldn't be all that keen on paying for all that managed server cost and not getting the benefit, since I'd be using sles. Their "sample A" here: rackspace__dot__com/solutions/managedsampleconfigs.php (replace __dot___ with .)
    would be fine for what we need. Obviously, I'm not 100% up on all the exact technical side, I have people that work for me that know all the details. We host a lot of domains.

NY CT MA would be fine area-wise.

I'm very thankful that you guys have already expressed so much interest in responding. thank you so much and thanks again, in advance.

NY CT MA NJ (I forgot NJ. Sorry Jersey)

What type of hardware do you require?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks544
    I've been paying $270 per month, plus extra for addl. harddrive I use for mirror with aplus.net (not happy, to say the least) I thought that was reasonable, but what do I know. rackspace would be $440/mo, which I could pay if nec., but it seemed expensive. so, that is my price range. I wouldn't be all that keen on paying for all that managed server cost and not getting the benefit, since I'd be using sles. Their "sample A" here: rackspace__dot__com/solutions/managedsampleconfigs.php (replace __dot___ with .)
    would be fine for what we need. Obviously, I'm not 100% up on all the exact technical side, I have people that work for me that know all the details. We host a lot of domains.

NY CT MA would be fine area-wise.

I'm very thankful that you guys have already expressed so much interest in responding. thank you so much and thanks again, in advance.
    I don't necessarily know the specs you need for a server, but I can highly recommend choopa.com, all of their servers are managed, but prices are affordable, and the staff is smart and there 24/7. We don't have dedicated servers with them, but we do Colo with them.

more hardware info from my uber tech guy:

a dual Xeon or similar with 1GB of ram is good enough
    80 gb harddrive is fine
    bandwidth =< 10MB
    dual nics would be a nice extra, but not essential

What's most important to me is that a warm human would be able to put HANDS-ON the darned box in a reasonable amount of time to help with any emergency hardware or stuck reboot, and that they could do basic fixes for SLES if it needed emergency help, like a kernal upgrade reboot situation. Just simple, timely, adequate emergency help.