Im a teen age and lloking to make a Hosting company

Im 15 years old , and I saved some money, when I worked during summer vacations and now I want to start a web hosting company. But I I' ve tried before but never succeed. This time Im better because I have my own money.

I would get an account from http//:www.hostdeparment.com, premium reseller. 50 account of maximun, 50GB (50,000) space storage, 50 GB of Bandthwith and a really good control panel for clients.

But I dono how many plan's I can create with such a small space, will I think. Once Im full or out of space I would upgrade to "Blow Out" reseller plan. I think that 1 gb is to small, for a single plan, but I want to hear from professional and smart people on this

By the way my name is Carlos Alvarez
    Last edited by Honduhost; 09-11-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Write a business plan. It answers all of these questions.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Do as you wish, but understand hosting has great responsibility and requires a lot of time and dedication. You need to think about where are you going to get customers? Will you have enough customers to pay for bills? Will your plans generate sufficient profit for reinvestment? How will you support your customers? What happens if you are sued and require legal representation? And that is just the surface, dive in deeper and you have a hell of a lot of things that you need to think about.

It's not just getting a website design up, integrating with PayPal and getting a reseller account, it's much much more than that...

Good luck and all the best!
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

What happens if you are sued and require legal representation?

Were can I get the legal thing..I was thinkig about that but, I have no idea were or how to get it..How much does it cost?

Will, I get out of school early, and have a friend who can help me in the support area, so im not a lone..

This is all covered in the business plan. You need to do a lot of research to write it.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Honduhost
    What happens if you are sued and require legal representation?

Were can I get the legal thing..I was thinkig about that but, I have no idea were or how to get it..How much does it cost?

Will, I get out of school early, and have a friend who can help me in the support area, so im not a lone..
    How much money do you have? Outsource everything - website design, support... everything and you and your buddy concentrate on selling and you'll have a decent business going in no time. If you focus on doing everything you'll just become overstretched and thats when problems begin.

Most of the Inc 500 companies started up with no business plan. I have yet to see someone on this forum recommend writing a business plan and succeed in having a successful business of their own.

Most people either strike it lucky on here with a few pro-active clients on the main forum or are small hosts boosting their post counts to give an illusion of being big.

Just notice the two trends

a) people post here that they can't get clients... they've done all the hard work of getting a site up, setting support etc but the clients aren't queuing up to hand over their money. That's because they've done 50% of the hard work, sales is proactive and requires commitment not just sticking banner ads up in webmaster forums.

b) company gets too many clients, they can't handle support. If you choose a top notch outsourced support company from the start - you won't have those problems at all.

The only other thing is to cross your fingers and hope you get a slightly mentally unhinged customer base that will praise your company on WHT after a week of being hosted with you. As a rough rule, get about 4-5 threads going on the main forum and you too are a big boy

Most of the Inc 500 companies started up with no business plan. I have yet to see someone on this forum recommend writing a business plan and succeed in having a successful business of their own.
    Yeah, that's true. Take MCI for example - the business plan was written on a paper napkin in a coffee shop.

People on WHT place too much emphasis on one, however in order to operate without one, you do need to know the business.

It's true you don't need a plan but it makes everything easier.

for example:

getting a bank loan
    establishing business credit
    contests for money if it's a good plan

* added benefits

once you finish the plan you'll know what works and what doesn't work. You can't blindly throw money into adwords and get results these days.

at any rate you need some sort of marketing strategy. As a new company you don't have the option of word of mouth yet.

The plan doesn't have to be huge. I've seen effective 4-10 page plans.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 09-12-2006 at 12:30 AM.

This is a suggestion, but you might want to give it a go. On the first month, offer free web hosting to let potential customers have a go on your support and stuff. When they trust you, that's when the money rolls in.

Hmm is it just me or is HostDepartment closed down?
    i see a parked page.

And yes you do need alot of work and research before you start a host, im 16 i started when i was 15 as well i went through alot of hardships, so please think of what you are doing, this is not easy money anymore.

And i did it all on my own, so maybe if you get some help then you wont be over burdened with work, but if your partner or support staff is not experienced then your done for.
    Last edited by CX.Eric; 09-12-2006 at 01:02 AM.

First, my best advice to you is to not mention your age, you're a person on the internet and your skills/expertise matter most. Yes, your age is a factor but when you're running a business or offering a service, you *can not* let that get in the way of anything.

Second, before starting your own operation, what about working with other companies? I feel that before you dive into this, you should know what you're getting into.

Get a position for tech support or something with a company that can help you learn how everything works. You can later use that knowledge and start your own business. Also, it wouldn't hurt to maybe get some job shadows with IT folks going and see what they do on a day to day routine.

The job shadows will probably be different than what someone in web hosting does, but based on your age, I think getting exposed to different jobs/environments may be helpful.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Some will disagree with this suggestion, but I say wait until you are older. You should be out enjoying your youth, there is plenty of time to slave away at a job when you are done school. Its a hard business that chews up all your free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazel3
    I have yet to see someone on this forum recommend writing a business plan and succeed in having a successful business of their own.
    What do you consider to be successful? I've done quite decently with mine.

Also, I was failing miserably in my first couple of years...until a very wise businessman explained the importance of a business plan. I sat down and wrote one up in Word and it gave me the focus and roadmap to be able to achieve what I wanted to do. It illustrated my strengths and weaknesses, which I couldn't see clearly until it was all laid out before me in the business plan.

Its also much easier to get bank loans, etc. if you have a clear business plan.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

business plan - I never did one untill i started to be successful. At the start there is more use for your time than a business plan, ESP if your 15. business plans are for banks and investers. Good luck
    Jon Black

I think that 1 gb is to small, for a single plan, but I want to hear from professional and smart people on this
    Everyone else touched on the business plan part, but I thought I'd touch on this part of your post. If you plan to offer huge plans for cheap prices, you will fail. You cannot compete with the Site5s and 1&1s of the world. They likely spend more on advertising in a day than you would in a year.

Our most popular plan (by far) is 100MB and the vast majority of people don't even use half of that.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I too am a Teenager and run a hosting business

Hi,

I am 17 living in New Zealand (down the bottom of the world :-)

I run a small webhosting business which i am looking at expanding. If you want any help please send me an email at [email protected] . My website is not very good at this stage but i am getting a designer to update it an look more professional. Again i have been doing this for around two years and know what i am doing, so please feel free to email me.

All the best and good luck. If anyone on this message forum says you shouldn't do it then don't listen to them. It is our "YOUNG" generation that are the entrepenuers of this world.

Thanks Guy

Im 15 years old , and I saved some money, when I worked during summer vacations and now I want to start a web hosting company. But I I' ve tried before but never succeed. This time Im better because I have my own money.

I would get an account from http//:www.hostdeparment.com, premium reseller. 50 account of maximun, 50GB (50,000) space storage, 50 GB of Bandthwith and a really good control panel for clients.

But I dono how many plan's I can create with such a small space, will I think. Once Im full or out of space I would upgrade to "Blow Out" reseller plan. I think that 1 gb is to small, for a single plan, but I want to hear from professional and smart people on this

By the way my name is Carlos Alvarez
    At 15 I wouldn't bother with hosting, I started at 16 and it affected schooling greatly, I'm now having to do an extra year of school to make up for low scores.

As said earlier, its not just about designing a site and adding plans its so much more... I wouldn't even bother until you are of legal age to do such things as start your own PayPal account. Its worked out so much easier for me now as I have my own credit card etc... which makes payments allot easier online.

Take some advice from someone who's been there and done that, get a job at a supermarket or somewhere else.