Question Reverse Phone Lookup

Anyone know a website that offers FREE reverse telephone lookup service?

www.whitepages.com
    Check that out, they have some free tools you can use, they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Z-M
    www.whitepages.com
    Check that out, they have some free tools you can use, they work well.

I've been there already. It only tells you the provider of the phone service though.

You can do it with google also, I don't know how accurate it is, but I use it all the time... like

"1-555-555-5555" and it'll pop up a name/address if it knows it. It's usually right. It doesn't work with 1-800 numbers though, they apparently don't have a central registry that can be accessed free (if anyone knows about such thing, please tell me!).

Edit: Apparently Google doesn't do it anymore, I just tried it and nothing comes up for any number
    He arose!

Quote Originally Posted by Reloader
    Anyone know a website that offers FREE reverse telephone lookup service?
    I have used anywho.com occasionally.

There is also a more 'complicated' technique called backspoofing. Basically, one spoofs their Caller ID as the number they want to know, and they call themself. On the caller id screen of your phone/caller ID box, the number's record will appear. Of course this won't for some numbers, including some which are "unlisted", etc.

As previous posters suggested, try putting the number into google/yahoo/etc. and see if it returns any results.

AnyWho . . .
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S
    I have used anywho.com occasionally.

There is also a more 'complicated' technique called backspoofing. Basically, one spoofs their Caller ID as the number they want to know, and they call themself. On the caller id screen of your phone/caller ID box, the number's record will appear. Of course this won't for some numbers, including some which are "unlisted", etc.

As previous posters suggested, try putting the number into google/yahoo/etc. and see if it returns any results.
    Works for me....I use it all the time and just tried it and it's still working.

It does seem though sometimes it doesnt work well and I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Carp
    Works for me....I use it all the time and just tried it and it's still working.

It does seem though sometimes it doesnt work well and I don't know why.
    I suggested multiple means for researching the 'owner' of a phone number in that post. Are you talking about my unique (to this thread) idea of backspoofing?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

AnyWho.com seems to be the best for this but it didn't work for me in this case as the number I'm searching is a cell number.

Any other suggestions?

I can't imagine any website being able to offer the details for a cell phone number to be honest. Could you not just call the number and ask who it is?
    Steve

Sorry Mark. I quoted the wrong post.

Here is what I meant to quote:

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSpock
    You can do it with google also, I don't know how accurate it is, but I use it all the time... like

"1-555-555-5555" and it'll pop up a name/address if it knows it. It's usually right. It doesn't work with 1-800 numbers though, they apparently don't have a central registry that can be accessed free (if anyone knows about such thing, please tell me!).

Edit: Apparently Google doesn't do it anymore, I just tried it and nothing comes up for any number

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    I can't imagine any website being able to offer the details for a cell phone number to be honest. Could you not just call the number and ask who it is?
    Right. To my surprise, my Cingular phone number sometimes passes my Caller ID NAME. In some ways I can see why it could be desirable. However, I wish Cingular would have let me know before.

Anyways.. Cell Phone numbers will not work with anywho.com or any of the other websites listed. None at all infact.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    No /

I have reverse searched phone #'s on so many of those sites, and failing to get info 99% of the time. I think they deliberately fails so you will purchase Intellius and the site get's it's affiliate fee. On the other hand, I have used Intellius several times, and they are generally right on the money.

Someone may have a cell or unlisted landline, but they may provide those numbers to utilitiy companies, which Intellius has access to, and thus, they find the number, then report the addy it was used with and all that back to you.. Thats why the only way you find me is if you happen to know my virtual Vonage number, not my real Vonage number I have my real number, a virtual number for web based & potential telemarketors, and one for potential creditors. If I get sick of them, I change the number LOL
    Last edited by Webdude; 09-12-2006 at 12:41 AM.