View Poll Results: Do you believe in that??

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

13 15.29%
  • NO!

72 84.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by YUPAPA

If I understand the concept, I wouldn't make this thread...
    I wasnt directing that question at you
    I meant it to be to the people who think there is no such thing as unlimited
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Originally posted by Host Ultra

I wasnt directing that question at you
    And I am one of those ppl who think there is no such thing as unlimited. That question was directed to me. BUT I am curious to those who says UNLIMITED exists. I would like to hear some opinons from others...

There isn't DAMMIT!

That's it i'm pissed...

I'm signing up for a hosting account with you and I'm up loading seriously 10 GB of files...

The thing is you can't stop me because YOU'RE OFFERING UNLIMITED SPACE AND BW...

If you say you offer it you have to give to me... HAVE TO

Originally posted by 311

There isn't DAMMIT!

That's it i'm pissed...

I'm signing up for a hosting account with you and I'm up loading seriously 10 GB of files...

The thing is you can't stop me because YOU'RE OFFERING UNLIMITED SPACE AND BW...

If you say you offer it you have to give to me... HAVE TO
    Sure thats no problem
    Just make sure you read the terms of service first
    depending on what those "files" are html or images or downloads

Unlimited Servers?
    Its not physically possible to have unlimited of any material - sure that would defy the laws of physics - its a space thing you see!

But seriously... how will you afford unlimited servers? With a supply of unlimited money?
    Jim

Sure thats no problem
    Just make sure you read the terms of service first
    depending on what those "files" are html or images or downloads
    I was exaggerating just a *bit*

But it's a static site, perfectly legal according to your terms, but it gets a few hits a month... (500 Gb of traffic in total)

Originally posted by acidHL
    its a space thing you see!
    How big is space?
    Originally posted by acidHL
    But seriously... how will you afford unlimited servers? With a supply of unlimited money?
    I will only buy another server when one is almost full
    Therefore with the profits from the other servers will pay for another one which will make more money to buy the next one etc...
    I am already onto my second server

Originally posted by 311

I was exaggerating just a *bit*

But it's a static site, perfectly legal according to your terms, but it gets a few hits a month... (500 Gb of traffic in total)
    I know you where
    but if you were serious you do know that not everyone that visits your site is going to download the entire site
    even on a DSL or cable connection it would take your visitors a long time to download

It's not mine It's a friends...

I'm totally serious, I just have to persaude him to switch from his dedicated. This could save him a lot of money you know...

It's 500 GB of trafic per month. Half a tera-byte. Few million hits per month...

Originally posted by 311
    It's not mine It's a friends...

I'm totally serious, I just have to persaude him to switch from his dedicated. This could save him a lot of money you know...

It's 500 GB of trafic per month. Half a tera-byte. Few million hits per month...
    Yeah thats really no problem
    If your switching from dedicated you know there is ADS on the free hosting

Anyone want to write me a shell script that will run wget for 10 consecutive days with no gap in between requests?

I would like to challenge the "unlimited" transfer gods.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

Originally posted by GlideTech
    Anyone want to write me a shell script that will run wget for 10 consecutive days with no gap in between requests?

I would like to challenge the "unlimited" transfer gods.
    Something like that would just get your IP banned from the server and a report to your ISP

Something like that would just get your IP banned from the server and a report to your ISP
    OH WELL

It's worth it

Why? How?

Ok i just worked out some calculations which i think are correct
    Do you think his calculations are right?
    Suppose he gets a site generating 400Gb trafic. He will have a lot of visitors and he would get enough money to buy another 400Gb and plenty of disk space. In this case a user will be able to consume as many resources as needed.
    Trafic=>vistors=>ad views=>money=>2xTrafic
    (unlimited loop )

Looks like a good story to me but I see a lot of posts against this. I use Opera (Reject pop-ups) and he will get no money from me but there are a lot of people not doing this. Can you tell me what is wrong with hostultra's calculations?

No flames. No taliban (if it is unlimited is wrong).
    Just math and business.

Thank you.

Uhhh... hate to break it to you, but Host Ultra is actually correct: (He is still wrong, see below)

If I provide unlimited service, that means that I could continually provide services (at cost or no cost). There is no forseeable end to my service as long as you pay for services and if you go over your 'allowance' of 25 hours of service per month, you'd have to pay additional fees. Still, there is no limit as far as I am concerned.

This does not necessarily relate to hosting, unlimited can be used for anything. My service could be watering lawns for your business whenever they need watered.

Then there is infinite. Infinite being the opposite of finite, in this use, having boundaries, or ending. THerefore infinite is having no end, or boundary. I cannot provide infinite service as I am limited to the hours in a month and the water in my truck.

Sum it up:
    Unlimited: Having no limitations, restrictions
    Infinite: Having no boundary, no end

But wait, does this mean tha Host Ultra is correct?

No: Since he provides an unlimited amount of bandwidth, there would be no restrictions or limitations on HIS part. But, in reading his TOS, he haas created scertain limitations and restrictions that protect him against bandwidth overages.

The problem with Unlimited is the context it is used. In hosting, the bandwidth is always refering to bandwidth allowance. My host, Hosting Matters, provides a hosting allowance of something like 9000 MB per month. However, I can buy addtional allowances for a cost to me. Hosting Matters will continue to provided an unlimited number of allowance increases (or overage charges) as long as I can pay the cost. They cannot provide infinite bandwidth, as there is not enough ethernet hanging out of my box to let me have my 45,000 Terrabytes per month.

You see, the bandwidth allowance, the the prepaid bandwidth cannot be unlimited. THe ammount you can have can be. But the context is wrong, so the word unlimited should be avoided in this scenario.

Originally posted by gnorthey00
    The problem with Unlimited is the context it is used. In hosting, the bandwidth is always refering to bandwidth allowance. My host, Hosting Matters, provides a hosting allowance of something like 9000 MB per month. However, I can buy addtional allowances for a cost to me. Hosting Matters will continue to provided an unlimited number of allowance increases (or overage charges) as long as I can pay the cost. They cannot provide infinite bandwidth, as there is not enough ethernet hanging out of my box to let me have my 45,000 Terrabytes per month.

You see, the bandwidth allowance, the the prepaid bandwidth cannot be unlimited. THe ammount you can have can be. But the context is wrong, so the word unlimited should be avoided in this scenario.
    That maybe true for paid hosting but not for free hosting
    If you were offering paid hosting with unlimited then you are selling something unlimited for a fixed price
    But for free hosting i am giving unlimited in exchange for advertising
    the more hits your site gets the more money i make from advertising as explained in the calculations in my previous posts

Let's take a look at this business model:

Ok i just worked out some calculations which i think are correct
    I have a rackshack server which costs me $120 per month for 400GB bandwidth

so thats
    1 gig of bandwidth costs me $0.30
    So far, so good.

I get a $5 CPM with my advertiser for popup ads on hosted sites
    that works out at approx
    60 unique hits = $0.30 = 1GB bandwidth
    thats about 16.66MB per visitor
    so each visitor to my hosted sites pays (by way of getting a popup) $0.005 which buys them 16.66MB of bandwidth
    Not sure where you got the 60 from..care to explain?

The Gigabyte to megabyte conversion is correct, although it buys them 16.66MB of data transfer, not bandwidth.

Now MOST people who visit a site just view the first page and see its not what they were looking for and leaves
    so lets say 1 in 10 actually go on to view the site
    that pumps it up to 166.66MB bandwidth per visitor that actually browses though the site

Remember for every unique vistor that uses under 16.66MB then i make a PROFIT!
    Do you have any statistics to backup your traffic pattern claims, I would say that claim is very arguable.

Here is where your idea falls shorts: Advertisers do not have unlimited money. Free sites (Geocities, Tripod, etc) have a very low rate of return, and churn advertisers pretty fast. What happens when you get 50 servers, but can only sell enough advertising space to cover the cost of 25? A lot of free hosting networks have crashed in this manner, and this is where your model fails as well.

Originally posted by uuallan
    Not sure where you got the 60 from..care to explain?
    1000 = CPM
    $5 / 1000 = $0.005
    means i get $0.005 for every one unique hit
    $0.30 (price per GB) / $0.005 = 60
    The Gigabyte to megabyte conversion is correct, although it buys them 16.66MB of data transfer, not bandwidth.
    OK some call it data transfer and some call it bandwidth but its all the same really.
    Here is where your idea falls shorts: Advertisers do not have unlimited money. Free sites (Geocities, Tripod, etc) have a very low rate of return, and churn advertisers pretty fast. What happens when you get 50 servers, but can only sell enough advertising space to cover the cost of 25? A lot of free hosting networks have crashed in this manner, and this is where your model fails as well.
    Isnt that true of all free hosts regardless of the space/bandwidth (or data transfer as you call it) they offer?
    Who says there is an unlimited number of accounts either?
    I could stop accepting new accounts before i even reach 50 servers and probably will

OK some call it data transfer and some call it bandwidth but its all the same really.
    Of course not! Bandwidth is the speed (792KB/s) and data transfer is the files' sizes that have transferred (in bytes).

Of course not! Bandwidth is the speed (792KB/s) and data transfer is the files' sizes that have transferred (in bytes).
    Yes i know your right but alot of people refer to data transfer as bandwidth

Yes i know your right but alot of people refer to data transfer as bandwidth
    Yes you know I am right, but that doesn't mean listenning to others' thoughts is correct.

Bandwidth (keyword WIDTH), the amount of data transfer per given time period (think of it as velocity) Bandwidth has been measured in bps, Kbps, Mbps, Gbps, traditionally. I have never seen it measured over minutes, hours, or days, etc.

Data transfer refers to amount of data per extended period of time. Note that this is in MB per month (not Mb) or GB per month (not Gb)

As for all free hosts, they set data transfer limits. I.e., GeoCities, 3 GB/month.

Why don't you do this: Data transfer limit: THe limit shall vary based on your proitablity for us. You shall be allowed up to 3 GB transfer per month, however, you will not be filled for additional usage (overage) if your site generates advertising revenues for the company.

This would stop anyone who chooses to run some sort of bandwidth eater-chat script, unless, your ad is able to appear and rotate in their script. THey will therefore cover the cost if they do not generate revenues, or generate revs through ads.

Yes you know I am right, but that doesn't mean listenning to others' thoughts is correct.
    Don't question a guy that offers unlimited bandwidth...

gnorthey00
    No: Since he provides an unlimited amount of bandwidth, there would be no restrictions or limitations on HIS part. But, in reading his TOS, he haas created scertain limitations and restrictions that protect him against bandwidth overages.
    I think you are talking about this:
    hostultra.com is provided on an "as is," "as available" basis without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    But here is what you can find in C:\WinNT\system32\eula.txt
    To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Microsoft and its suppliers provide the Product and any (if any) Support Services AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, and hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions, either express, implied or statutory, including, but not limited to, any (if any) implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, of fitness for a particular purpose, of lack of viruses, of accuracy or completeness of responses, of results, and of lack of negligence or lack of workmanlike effort, all with regard to the Product, and the provision of or failure to provide Support Services.
    Same thing for me.

It is true that you can generate a lot of trafic using bots or something else. Because of this kind of people there is a TOS. If everybody is keeping his part of the deal nobody is removed from the site. The ideea is to get trafic, not to keep it low. Your 45,000 Terrabytes per month can be generated only by sites like Yahoo. They don't need free hosting. And if they will ever need I think everybody will give them that to put their ads.
    Free hosting is for small websites dreaming of having 10-15Gb. In this case "unlimited" is short for "as much as you need".

Why don't you do this: Data transfer limit: THe limit shall vary based on your proitablity for us. You shall be allowed up to 3 GB transfer per month, however, you will not be filled for additional usage (overage) if your site generates advertising revenues for the company.
    That would confuse some people
    People like to think that they can use as much as they want without trying to restrict the size of their sites
    Alot of people using free hosting are newbies that wouldnt understand that stuff

This would stop anyone who chooses to run some sort of bandwidth eater-chat script, unless, your ad is able to appear and rotate in their script. THey will therefore cover the cost if they do not generate revenues, or generate revs through ads.
    I dont quite understand what you mean there
    It is not possible to run any server side scripts on hostultra (php, cgi for example)
    Additionally there is very high leech protection
    NO FILE (file is everything that is not a html) can be downloaded off the server unless the http referer comes from a hostultra url
    You can only enter a site through a html file

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast