View Poll Results: Do you believe in that??

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

13 15.29%
  • NO!

72 84.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking UNLIMITED (with my poll)

WHO Believes in that?

YES
    - Please explain how that works!

NO (Is not real)
    - Why not?

Please don't close this thread because I want to observe the results.

PS: Who removed my sh*t survey in the Chat Forum?

This should be pretty one sided on this forum as most people who visit this forum have more common sense, unlimited is not possible.

Why? Unless you have had your HDD sprinkled with magic pixy dust it will run out of space sooner or later

THANK YOU THANK YOU...

Why do I have 2 votes for "YES"? ..

Re: UNLIMITED (with my poll)

Originally posted by YUPAPA
    WHO Believes in that?

YES
    - Please explain how that works!

NO (Is not real)
    - Why not?

Please don't close this thread because I want to observe the results.

PS: Who removed my sh*t survey in the Chat Forum?
    YES YES YES YES!
    I offer unlimited space and bandwidth for free and the largest account is 400MB
    It works as in i can get more servers as they fill up quicker then you can fill it up
    There is no limit to the number of servers i can get
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-12-2002 at 06:20 PM.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Yes, regarding it's actual definition
    No, regarding the way it's being misused

We were talking about this on webhostdir just the other day. The problem with unlimited is that it's being used to mislead consumers into believing they are getting something they are not.

Unlimited seems to confuse the heck out of people, mostly because it's a term that's not being used properly or defined in TOS. It means that "we won't stop you from consuming services beyond what is included in your service plan, but once you get beyond what is included you will be charged based on additional usage, and you cannot consume beyond what the provider is capable of providing to an individual customer". It doesn't mean "pay one rate and consume as much as you want". It never has.

It was first used in conjunction with BBS and timeshare access, and then Internet access, which is how it's worked its way into web hosting's lexicon.

In the beginning, when dinosaurs ruled the earth and access speeds were measured in baud rate, there were limits placed on usage. You could only consume so much of the system or service's resources. I used to belong to a FreeNet that allowed you X amount of usage per month, period. There was no way to get more. This was limited.

Other services didn't place an upper limit on usage. However, if you went over the fixed amount of usage you were paying for (or getting free in some cases) you had to pay for excess usage. These were known as unlimited.

To the people who used the services at that time, what mattered was that you could access the service for as many hours per month as you needed. These were not general consumers, they were computer professionals and hobbyists, students, scientists, etc. Paying more for additional hours was worth it.

An example:

Back in the day, AOL allowed unlimited interactive (you had to be actually interacting with the service, not just letting your connection sit idle) usage. You got 10 hours per month, and you could use as many hours as you wanted, but you had to pay $3.00/hour after that first 10.

Now, AOL uses a different pricing model, a consumer-oriented flat rate service, that allows the customer to use as many hours as they want without excess usage charges-there is a limit, though, as there are only 744 hours in a 31 day month. AOL does not call their service unlimited (it is "without hourly fees", but it is perceived as unlimited by consumers.

And that's where the confusion stems from. Unlimited to an old-school online user means you won't be stopped from using extra resources, but you'll have to pay for it at a metered rate. Unlimited to a consumer means you can use it as much as you want, and not have to pay a cent past the flat rate.

So offering unlimited services is honest, provided the word unlimited is not being used to trick consumers into believing they are getting an all you can eat buffet, when they are being charged for every item after the first plateful, and that eventually they will be cut off from taking any more helpings. And, you let them know what those extra charges are. And, because resources are finite by their very nature, they need to know when excess consumption is considered gluttony.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

THANK YOU THANK YOU Phoenix... so in this case, that hostultra thing is just a trick??

My hosting is FREE
    I dont charge for overages or any of the tricks Phoenix mentioned
    My terms of service clearly explains what you can and cannot do with your space.

I voted Yes, because I sincerely believe some people's stupidness is unlimited

JD

Re: Re: UNLIMITED (with my poll)

Originally posted by Host Ultra

YES YES YES YES!
    I offer unlimited space and bandwidth for free and the largest account is 400MB
    It works as in i can get more servers as they fill up quicker then you can fill it up
    There is no limit to the number of servers i can get

Last edited by Chicken; 06-12-2002 at 06:20 PM.

HotUltra:

hostultra.com does not want to receive confidential or proprietary information from you through our web site or e-mail addresses. Please note that any information or material sent to hostultra.com or any of its related sites, services, or e-mail addresses will be deemed NOT to be confidential. By sending hostultra.com any information or material, you grant hostultra.com an unrestricted, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, modify, transmit and distribute those materials or information, and you also agree that hostultra.com is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques that you send us for any purpose.
    Is this how you pay for the free accounts? Sell names and email addresses to other companies on top of advertising. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with doing so as long as users know that it will happen.

I don't see anything about your bandwidth and disk space except minimum of 10 unique visitors per week, and file limit of 1 MB.

Just out of curiosity, does your business model work? DO you make good profit on the ads?

Originally posted by gnorthey00
    Just out of curiosity, does your business model work? DO you make good profit on the ads?

Ok i just worked out some calculations which i think are correct
    I have a rackshack server which costs me $120 per month for 400GB bandwidth

so thats
    1 gig of bandwidth costs me $0.30

I get a $5 CPM with my advertiser for popup ads on hosted sites
    that works out at approx
    60 unique hits = $0.30 = 1GB bandwidth
    thats about 16.66MB per visitor
    so each visitor to my hosted sites pays (by way of getting a popup) $0.005 which buys them 16.66MB of bandwidth

Now MOST people who visit a site just view the first page and see its not what they were looking for and leaves
    so lets say 1 in 10 actually go on to view the site
    that pumps it up to 166.66MB bandwidth per visitor that actually browses though the site

Remember for every unique vistor that uses under 16.66MB then i make a PROFIT!

Smile answer

<<Removed: PM or email any and all questions>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-12-2002 at 06:22 PM.

I'd never feel safe on an "unlimited" host.
    My advice is - if you're doing serious business, stay away from those hosts.

Trick or Treat

THANK YOU THANK YOU Phoenix... so in this case, that hostultra thing is just a trick??

Unlimited space and bandwidth is balanced out in the TOS by restricting files larger than 1MB, as well as any type of file or activity that would result in high space and/or bandwidth usage.

And, it's free. So who can complain about something that they are not paying for?
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

Re: answer

Originally posted by jnphosting
    <<snip>>
    <<Removed: Contact via PM or email, not the forum>>

Please use PM instead of posting your host here in the future.
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-12-2002 at 06:23 PM.

I am starting a host with Unlimited disk space (bandwidth will have a limit)

I have ordered the Compaq Unlimited Terminal running Win2k. It has unlimited RAM, unlimited Ghz, and unlimited internal data bandwidth. It uses gigabit ethernet from Intel, so I will only need a few servers to host all of the customers I will get.

The best feature of all is the UNLIMITED HARD DISK.

Compaq has informed me this morning that the machine is almost ready to go, they are just waitning for the hard disk format to complete.

I have ordered the Compaq Unlimited Terminal running Win2k. It has unlimited RAM, unlimited Ghz, and unlimited internal data bandwidth. It uses gigabit ethernet from Intel, so I will only need a few servers to host all of the customers I will get.

Compaq has informed me this morning that the machine is almost ready to go, they are just waitning for the hard disk format to complete.

LOL!

That might take a while

But seriously why cant you understand the concept behind unlimited?
    I can buy an UNLIMITED number of servers
    There isnt a such thing as an unlimited hard drive but you can buy and unlimited number of hard drives

The ONLY thing unlimited is the number of threads and post about unlimited on WHT.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    The ONLY thing unlimited is the number of threads and post about unlimited on WHT.
    You don't want me to start a new one??
    I want to have my own UNLIMITED thread. They are very popular here. PLUS I want to see the reasons and ppl point of view about UNLIMITED.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    Are you saying that WHT has an unlimited hard drive to store an unlimited number of threads?

If you set a bandwidth limit, say, 3 GB, then obviously, the user can't have a site that's more than 3 GB. Otherwise, the site would be over its bandwidth limit with one visitor.

But seriously why cant you understand the concept behind unlimited?
    If I understand the concept, I wouldn't make this thread...

Originally posted by Constance

If you set a bandwidth limit, say, 3 GB, then obviously, the user can't have a site that's more than 3 GB. Otherwise, the site would be over its bandwidth limit with one visitor.
    Why not?
    They can store files and have no hits... Transfer do not matters to them..

If I understand the concept, I wouldn't make this thread...
    I wasnt directing that question at you
    I meant it to be to the people who think there is no such thing as unlimited

I wasnt directing that question at you
    And I am one of those ppl who think there is no such thing as unlimited. That question was directed to me. BUT I am curious to those who says UNLIMITED exists. I would like to hear some opinons from others...

There isn't DAMMIT!

That's it i'm pissed...

I'm signing up for a hosting account with you and I'm up loading seriously 10 GB of files...

The thing is you can't stop me because YOU'RE OFFERING UNLIMITED SPACE AND BW...

If you say you offer it you have to give to me... HAVE TO

Originally posted by 311

There isn't DAMMIT!

That's it i'm pissed...

I'm signing up for a hosting account with you and I'm up loading seriously 10 GB of files...

The thing is you can't stop me because YOU'RE OFFERING UNLIMITED SPACE AND BW...

If you say you offer it you have to give to me... HAVE TO
    Sure thats no problem
    Just make sure you read the terms of service first
    depending on what those "files" are html or images or downloads

Unlimited Servers?
    Its not physically possible to have unlimited of any material - sure that would defy the laws of physics - its a space thing you see!

But seriously... how will you afford unlimited servers? With a supply of unlimited money?
    Jim

Sure thats no problem
    Just make sure you read the terms of service first
    depending on what those "files" are html or images or downloads
    I was exaggerating just a *bit*

But it's a static site, perfectly legal according to your terms, but it gets a few hits a month... (500 Gb of traffic in total)

Originally posted by acidHL
    its a space thing you see!
    How big is space?
    Originally posted by acidHL
    But seriously... how will you afford unlimited servers? With a supply of unlimited money?
    I will only buy another server when one is almost full
    Therefore with the profits from the other servers will pay for another one which will make more money to buy the next one etc...
    I am already onto my second server

Originally posted by 311

I was exaggerating just a *bit*

But it's a static site, perfectly legal according to your terms, but it gets a few hits a month... (500 Gb of traffic in total)
    I know you where
    but if you were serious you do know that not everyone that visits your site is going to download the entire site
    even on a DSL or cable connection it would take your visitors a long time to download

It's not mine It's a friends...

I'm totally serious, I just have to persaude him to switch from his dedicated. This could save him a lot of money you know...

It's 500 GB of trafic per month. Half a tera-byte. Few million hits per month...

Originally posted by 311
    It's not mine It's a friends...

I'm totally serious, I just have to persaude him to switch from his dedicated. This could save him a lot of money you know...

It's 500 GB of trafic per month. Half a tera-byte. Few million hits per month...
    Yeah thats really no problem
    If your switching from dedicated you know there is ADS on the free hosting

Anyone want to write me a shell script that will run wget for 10 consecutive days with no gap in between requests?

I would like to challenge the "unlimited" transfer gods.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

Originally posted by GlideTech
    Anyone want to write me a shell script that will run wget for 10 consecutive days with no gap in between requests?

I would like to challenge the "unlimited" transfer gods.
    Something like that would just get your IP banned from the server and a report to your ISP

Something like that would just get your IP banned from the server and a report to your ISP
    OH WELL

It's worth it

Why? How?

Ok i just worked out some calculations which i think are correct
    Do you think his calculations are right?
    Suppose he gets a site generating 400Gb trafic. He will have a lot of visitors and he would get enough money to buy another 400Gb and plenty of disk space. In this case a user will be able to consume as many resources as needed.
    Trafic=>vistors=>ad views=>money=>2xTrafic
    (unlimited loop )

Looks like a good story to me but I see a lot of posts against this. I use Opera (Reject pop-ups) and he will get no money from me but there are a lot of people not doing this. Can you tell me what is wrong with hostultra's calculations?

No flames. No taliban (if it is unlimited is wrong).
    Just math and business.

Thank you.

Uhhh... hate to break it to you, but Host Ultra is actually correct: (He is still wrong, see below)

If I provide unlimited service, that means that I could continually provide services (at cost or no cost). There is no forseeable end to my service as long as you pay for services and if you go over your 'allowance' of 25 hours of service per month, you'd have to pay additional fees. Still, there is no limit as far as I am concerned.

This does not necessarily relate to hosting, unlimited can be used for anything. My service could be watering lawns for your business whenever they need watered.

Then there is infinite. Infinite being the opposite of finite, in this use, having boundaries, or ending. THerefore infinite is having no end, or boundary. I cannot provide infinite service as I am limited to the hours in a month and the water in my truck.

Sum it up:
    Unlimited: Having no limitations, restrictions
    Infinite: Having no boundary, no end

But wait, does this mean tha Host Ultra is correct?

No: Since he provides an unlimited amount of bandwidth, there would be no restrictions or limitations on HIS part. But, in reading his TOS, he haas created scertain limitations and restrictions that protect him against bandwidth overages.

The problem with Unlimited is the context it is used. In hosting, the bandwidth is always refering to bandwidth allowance. My host, Hosting Matters, provides a hosting allowance of something like 9000 MB per month. However, I can buy addtional allowances for a cost to me. Hosting Matters will continue to provided an unlimited number of allowance increases (or overage charges) as long as I can pay the cost. They cannot provide infinite bandwidth, as there is not enough ethernet hanging out of my box to let me have my 45,000 Terrabytes per month.

You see, the bandwidth allowance, the the prepaid bandwidth cannot be unlimited. THe ammount you can have can be. But the context is wrong, so the word unlimited should be avoided in this scenario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast