Having trouble finding a host with great uptime

Hi,
    I am looking for a webhost that is known for uptime. I need to have excellent uptime, yet my website will be small (using 1gb space and 20-50gb bandwidth) and wont use a lot of resources. Here are some details:
    • excellent uptime
    • at least 1gb space and 50gb bandwidth
    • must be dedicated server or VPS
    • must be fully managed
    • $200/month budget
    I have contacted rackspace and told them my budget was $200 and month and nothing was in that range. Thank you for your time.

(Please do not PM me with offers)

Check layeredtech specials forum.
    But a good shared host should be enough, 200 $ is maybe too much for a 1gb website with no need of high ressources. My opinion.
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Hi,

Take a look at www.burst.net , the guys over there have a great team 24/7 working hard. I would choose them and purchase a small server but make sure they take care of ya so pay a little extra for more server management and so on, and get a phone # so you can stay in touch with the admins directly etc..

They also have support via AIM and so on.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Check at the dedicated servers offers forum, If I'm not wrong, Liquidweb is running an special with the features that you request. I used their services on the past and their services is A+.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Interdit
    Check layeredtech specials forum.
    But a good shared host should be enough, 200 $ is maybe too much for a 1gb website with no need of high ressources. My opinion.
    $200 is just my budget, it doesnt have to be $200. However, I need awesome uptime 3+ hours per month is NOT acceptable, so If $200 is what it costs, I am willing to pay it. Thanks for the help, I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    Thanks for the list. I will have a look. Thanks everyone, this is a big help.

pair.com - You cannot go wrong with this guy.

I'd recommend Steadfast.net. They're a good company and host the company that I am currently hosting with, Precision Effect. Minimal downtime at best with several 100% uptime months. Give Steadfast a look-over if you're looking for a dedicated server.

Good luck in your search.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Thanks everyone! After a quick look-through it looks like it will be myriadnetwork.com or steadfast.com. Now off to read some reviews and all that. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drig
    Thanks everyone! After a quick look-through it looks like it will be myriadnetwork.com or steadfast.com. Now off to read some reviews and all that. thanks
    I've never used myriadnetwork before, although I know Steadfast is an extremely solid company and I've never had problems with them.

My vote goes to Steadfast as well.

Good luck!

I'd recommend www.cari.net. I've been using them for dedicated servers for 6 years and their support is top notch. They have GoBs of bandwidth and good prices. I'm sure they have a box within your budget. Reliability better than 99.999% is typical.

Quote Originally Posted by tmax100
    pair.com - You cannot go wrong with this guy.
    I agree, pair.com is great !

Not the cheapest, but definitely one of the best.

You need to be on a dedi or vps, or a shared plan will be ok? If a shared plan is ok, you can find one at rackspace as well.
    But if you want to be on a dedicated server, it will be hard to find a good fully managed server in that range. So read what managed means. There isn't a standard for server management.

Quote Originally Posted by borghunn
    You need to be on a dedi or vps, or a shared plan will be ok? If a shared plan is ok, you can find one at rackspace as well.
    But if you want to be on a dedicated server, it will be hard to find a good fully managed server in that range. So read what managed means. There isn't a standard for server management.
    The content is very uptime sensitive and thus I do not feel comfortable hosting on a shared account. It needs to be managed. Resources and bandwidth are very low, so I think I will be trying a VPS account on either steadfast or myriadnetwork. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
    Hi,

Take a look at www.burst.net , the guys over there have a great team 24/7 working hard. I would choose them and purchase a small server but make sure they take care of ya so pay a little extra for more server management and so on, and get a phone # so you can stay in touch with the admins directly etc..

Cheers

I beg to differ, we keep a secondary DNS server @ BURST and it has atleast WEEKLY outages. I would never recomend them for someone looking for reliability and stability.

The content is very uptime sensitive and thus I do not feel comfortable hosting on a shared account. It needs to be managed. Resources and bandwidth are very low, so I think I will be trying a VPS account on either steadfast or myriadnetwork. Thanks.

With that sort of budget you could get 2 smaller VPSes at differing locations and configure them as a dns round robin balanced pair.

Utilizing mydns or another highly dynamic dns server you could configure the individual servers to do health checks on each other and remove the failed node from the dns pool.

A rather simple and cost effective solution for maximum uptime with smaller VPSes

If you haven't committed yet, have a look at www.prioritycolo.com . I have a ded server with them. Been with Myles and crew for 4 years now. Impeccable uptime and service. Simply can't say enough about how good PC is. (He goes by WHT username porcupine).

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    With that sort of budget you could get 2 smaller VPSes at differing locations and configure them as a dns round robin balanced pair.

Utilizing mydns or another highly dynamic dns server you could configure the individual servers to do health checks on each other and remove the failed node from the dns pool.

A rather simple and cost effective solution for maximum uptime with smaller VPSes
    Excellent idea. I will be doing more research on that and possible use steadfast and myriad. How much would it cost to get this set up (outside of the normal VPS charge)?

Excellent idea. I will be doing more research on that and possible use steadfast and myriad. How much would it cost to get this set up (outside of the normal VPS charge)?

Wouldn't be much, I would suggest contacting www.n3v.net.

I know others have had a good deal of success with them for this type of configuration

while your needs are completely overkill for a vps or dedicated, check out pair.com for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
    Hi,

Cheers

Tell me that was just a joke. Burst.net is the worst provider. Just check the outage forum and you will find that they have a few hour downtimes every second week. It is either their network or lately power supply.