Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2001

    Question Business License?

    Hey I was just wondering how many of you who are running a web dev. or a hosting business actually have a business license?

    Or should I rephrase it to keep people out of getting in many of you running a web dev. or hosting business think it is important to have a business license?

    I'm just getting started with mine and I am slowly going through all the processes. While talking to some online business people, many have recommended that I just forgo all the legal stuff, but that makes me a bit uneasy. -- coming soon to an internet near you...

    Oklahoma Sooners all the way baby!!

  2. #2
    If you are serious about your business and if you don't want go get into trouble get a license.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I recommend getting the appropriate licences and doing everything legally, it saves for headaches in the future.

    It can cost a bit to do (well, at least here in Australia) and requires a bit of running around but once it is done then you don't need to worry about it.

    We also have separate bank accounts, etc. which makes it better for tax purposes, etc.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Varies from state to state too, as far as any requirements.
    Check with your county courthouse, and your bank (for business checking, etc) they will let you know whats needed. - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    I agree with Martie,

    I live in a state where there is no such thing as a business license.

    You might also want to check with your accountant.

    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Boston Metro
    Web hosting is a rare service business that does not have any sort of licensing procedure. You don't need to be board certified or pass a licensing exam.

    Beauticians, mechanics, accountants, lawyers, all require something to prove they are qualfied.

    Computer consultants, network administrators, ISP's and web hosts, don't.

    However if you are serious about your business, you should at the very least file a DBA (if you are a sole proprietorship) or incorporate.

    Incorporation, like everything else, is done quickly and easily over the web, particularly in good ol' Delaware, the most business-friendly state.
    All your hosts are belong to us

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Business License is required in certain states and counties that you live in - or even City for that matter.

    I had to get a business license (because its required by law to have one - where I live - in order to do business in the county in which I live).

    Most stats require you to have a DBA, I know Florida does (where I live). If you do business, you HAVE to have a DBA. Actually, its if you do business in other than your name, you have to have a DBA.

    Check with your county clerk and the Secretary of State/Department of State's office (if they have a website they'll probably have all the info you need).

    Hope that helps you some.

  8. #8

    "While talking to some online business people, many have recommended that I just forgo all the legal stuff"

    They would not happen to be compeitors who would love to see you out of business?

    Please check with your local chamber of commerce to see what licenses you need. Do call your local county government to double check what licenses you need.

    Do check with your accountant and attorney as to business structure and tax issues.

    It is better to start off right then get caught without clothes in public.
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts