SuperMicro PDSMI+ motherboard in 14" to 16" 1u case

Hi,

Anyone make some suggestions on 14" to 16" 1u case for this motherboard.

I intend to put a Core 2 Duo E6400 in it.

Would prefer a case that takes 2x 3.5" internal hard drives. Don't need cd-rom (I use USB or PXE for install).

SuperMicro makes a http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...SC512F-280.cfm 14.5" case that says it takes 2x 3.5" drives and has a decent power supply. However, they say for Xeon 5000's... Any reason I couldn't put the PDSMI+ motherboard in that case?

Open to any brand case solution.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenRS
    Hi,

Anyone make some suggestions on 14" to 16" 1u case for this motherboard.

I intend to put a Core 2 Duo E6400 in it.

Would prefer a case that takes 2x 3.5" internal hard drives. Don't need cd-rom (I use USB or PXE for install).

SuperMicro makes a http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...SC512F-280.cfm 14.5" case that says it takes 2x 3.5" drives and has a decent power supply. However, they say for Xeon 5000's... Any reason I couldn't put the PDSMI+ motherboard in that case?

Open to any brand case solution.

Thank you.
    Should fit just fine, that is the newer chassis very similar ot the SC512L-260 which we are very fond of and have dozens of them in use.

Anyone have a recommendation on a reseller to purchase this motherboard from?

SC512L-260B can be had for ~$95 these days

Only downside is the classic 4 pin power connectors for drives. Works fine if you are using WD Sata disks but the pin placement on sata power connectors are a real pain when it comes to using Seagate drives and the blower in the center of the chassis

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix

Only downside is the classic 4 pin power connectors for drives. Works fine if you are using WD Sata disks but the pin placement on sata power connectors are a real pain when it comes to using Seagate drives and the blower in the center of the chassis
    Best I found was $110 - are you buying wholesale or retail?

What are you using for heatsinks on a Core 2 Duo?

Best I found was $110 - are you buying wholesale or retail?

What are you using for heatsinks on a Core 2 Duo?
    Amazon had it for $106, free shipping to continental US.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Thanks for the price leads on the cases. On the motherboard, the best I can find is eWiz.com at $239.99 for Bulk packaged - I've never dealt with them but all the regulars (MWave, newegg, provantage) don't seem to have the PDSMI+ yet

ok, we have the SC512L-260B with this board... but the board manual is pretty speicifc that a 8-pin power supply is required. Any comments on this?

ok, we have the SC512L-260B with this board... but the board manual is pretty speicifc that a 8-pin power supply is required. Any comments on this?
    should be fine with only the 4.

I just tested PDSMI+. Yes, you need to have the 8 pin power socket needs to be connected. The 4 pin power supply does work on the 8 pin socket.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

Hmm... great price.
    Would the SuperMicro H8SSL-i work with this case?

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/moth...00/H8SSL-i.cfm
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Heatsinks

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    I just tested PDSMI+. Yes, you need to have the 8 pin power socket needs to be connected. The 4 pin power supply does work on the 8 pin socket.

Ok, great information.

We have already had one heatsink not fit the PDSMI+ as the capacitors are in the way. This was the Supermicro "Supermicro SNK-P0011 1U Passive Heatsink for 1U Socket 775" that we had around.

So I'm assuming we need to order the " Supermicro SNK-P0016 1U Passive Heatsink for Intel Pentium Socket 775 (Dual-Core Support)"

I can't seem to find anyone reputable with the SNK-P0016 in stock at a decent price... anyone have leads?

Thank you for all the help!

14. we have no issue to fit Cooljag OAK-8 or Dynatron P13 passive heatsink on PDSMI+ board.

the cost of copper heatsink is going thru the roof currently! can't really blame them because the material cost of copper has gone up a few folds in last 12 month! I would consider it a fair price if you can buy one under $30.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-22-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Has anyone been able to get Linux cpu temperature monitoring working on this motherboard?

//On the bleeding edge

StephenRS;

SNK-P0016 has indents on two sides of the underside so it fits PDSMI. I haven't tried a PSDMI+

I tried configuring lm_sensors but gave up pretty quickly. I've never really got far with lm_sensors so someone with experience may do better. Instead, I wrote a nagios plugin to check the temperatures and fans by IPMI. In case it's useful, here it is. Excuse the fact it's in PHP - I wrote it for speed and wasn't intending to publish it

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/php -q
    <?
    /*
     * check_ipmi for checking Supermicro IPMI on remote machine
     * Gary Stimson 28aug2006
     */

$sIpmiTool = '/usr/bin/ipmitool';

if ($argc!=4)
    {
            print "Usage: ".$argv[0]." user password host\n";
            exit(3);
    }

$sUser = $argv[1];
    $sPass = $argv[2];
    $sHost = $argv[3];

$rExec = 0;
    $aChassisLines= array();
    $sCmd = "$sIpmiTool -U $sUser -P $sPass -H $sHost chassis status";
    $s = exec($sCmd, &$aChassisLines, &$rExec);
    if ($rExec)
    {
            print "Warning: Error running ipmitool command: $sCmd:" . implode("\n",$aChassisLines) . "\n";
            exit(1);
    }

$aChassisStatus=array();
    foreach($aChassisLines as $sLine)
    {
            $aMatch = array();
            if (preg_match('/(.*): (.*)/', $sLine, $aMatch))
            {
                    $aChassisStatus[trim($aMatch[1])] = $aMatch[2];
            }
    }
    if (count($aChassisStatus) < 8)
    {
            print "CRITICAL: Could not parse output from chassis list.";
            exit(2);
    }

if ($aChassisStatus['System Power'] != 'on')
    {
            print "OK: Switched off";
            exit(0);
    }

$iR = 0;
    $asR = array();

$aChassisChecks = array('Power Overload', 'Main Power Fault', 'Power Control Fault', 'Drive Fault', 'Cooling/Fan Fault');
    foreach ($aChassisChecks as $sCheck)
    {
            if ($aChassisStatus[$sCheck] != 'false')
            {
                    $iR = 2;
                    $asR[] = $sCheck;
            }
    }

$rExec = 0;
    $aSDRLines = array();
    $sCmd = "$sIpmiTool -U $sUser -P $sPass -H $sHost sdr list";
    $s = exec($sCmd, &$aSDRLines, &$rExec);
    if ($rExec)
    {
            print "Warning: Error running ipmitool command: $sCmd:" . implode("\n",$aSDRLines) . "\n";
            exit(1);
    }

if (count($aSDRLines) < 10)
    {
            $iR = 2;
            $sR = "Could not get sdr list. Machine uncontactable or other fault.";
    }

$bParseErrorDone = false;
    foreach($aSDRLines as $sLine)
    {
            $aFields = explode('|',$sLine);
            if (count($aFields) < 3)
            {
                    continue;
            }

$sCaption = trim($aFields[0]);
            $sDetail = trim($aFields[1]);
            $sStatus = trim($aFields[2]);

// Power supply always seems to have 'cr' status so omit it from this check
            // It is checked by the chassis check anyway
            // Ignore Intrusion as well.
            if ($sCaption != 'Power Supply' && $sCaption != 'Intrusion' && $sStatus != 'ok')
            {
                    $iR = 2;
                    $asR[] = "$sCaption status '$sStatus': $sDetail";
            }
    }

$sR = implode('; ', $asR);
    switch($iR)
    {
            case 0:
                    print "OK\n";
                    exit(0);
            case 1:
                    print "Warning: $sR\n";
                    exit(1);
            case 2:
                    print "CRITICAL: $sR\n";
                    exit(2);
    }

?>
    gary

For a 2U case, the Dynatron P6AG and P66G fans fit too.

I get mine from Buy.com $100 with free shipping, cant really beat that price anywhere. They are the best 14" case i have found, and if done right you can popluate the crap out of your cabinets with these. I have found you can run 2 servers in 1u space (back to back) if you run fan up the middle of the rack to exhaust the servers.
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ

19. Quote Originally Posted by ProRack
    I get mine from Buy.com $100 with free shipping, cant really beat that price anywhere. They are the best 14" case i have found, and if done right you can popluate the crap out of your cabinets with these. I have found you can run 2 servers in 1u space (back to back) if you run fan up the middle of the rack to exhaust the servers.
    that's why we sometimes refer SC512L as "1/2 U"

image a soon-to-be-released core2 quadro (kentsfield 4-core) w/massive 8M L2 in one of these mini 1U!

Quote Originally Posted by ProRack
    What's the URL from buy.com?

I only found:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Supermicro_S.../10341556.html

which isn't the same model
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Does IPMI require the extra hardware card? We are using the latest Gentoo Linux 2006.1 and it doesn't seem to find the hardware for this with openIPMI kernel drivers. We are still researching it, but if someone already knows this please post.

Ok, we have both systems running with the IPMI card. One system seems to overheat (cpu goes beyond 60 at load)... whereas the other is fine. We have traded heatsinks, traded cpus, no luck.

Are you running the DPSMI+ with 4gb + 2 sata drives + E6300 at full cpu tilt (mprime is what we are using for cpu stress)... what temps you getting? Are your cpu temps consistant from system to system?

We are running the cases with just the single blower... I think there isn't enough airflow.

23. we have installed few dozens of fully loaded configurations (4x 1G DDR2/ 2x SATA /3ware 8006-2LP /IPMI /E6600 chip) in SC512L-260B with good results. idling CPU temp does vary from 35c to 45c. expect to add 10c ~ 15c with full load.

1. make sure the passive heatsink is mounted evenly
    2. the blower is not really directly aligned with heatsink. add an airflow quide strip (just a simple plastic strip cut to proper height to fit 1U) can reduce CPU temp by 5c

as long as you can keep CPU temp around 60c under full load, then you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by garrence
    For a 2U case, the Dynatron P6AG and P66G fans fit too.
    For a 2U case, just buy the CPU Retail. It comes with heatsink+fan, and it's a great fit. I am installing PDSMI+ and Conroe on our 2U cases and they work great.

I found that adding a heatsink with a fan to the cpu helped drop the temp dramatically, the blower that comes with the case just doesnt cut it under load
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ

Quote Originally Posted by ProRack
    I found that adding a heatsink with a fan to the cpu helped drop the temp dramatically, the blower that comes with the case just doesnt cut it under load
    Any specific brand/model of heatsink you can recommend for the PDSMI+ as those capacitors sure make it hit or mis on what has fit for us so far.

Any specific brand/model of heatsink you can recommend for the PDSMI+ as those capacitors sure make it hit or mis on what has fit for us so far.
    Have you tried the SM recommended SNK-P0016? It's grooved specifically for the capacitors.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/ma...rmalMatrix.pdf

- Mike
    Handy Networks, LLC - http://www.handynetworks.com
    Since 1997

What FSB do the Conroe chipset run on the PDSMI+?

Just want to make sure the FSB actually runs at 1066 before switching to the PDSMI+ over our standard Pent. D PDSMI format.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Besides PDSMI+, any good motherboard that will run Conroe 2? Preferably one with hardware RAID controller on the board or at least RAID controller that will work under CentOS? Or am I pushing my luck too far?

30. Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Besides PDSMI+, any good motherboard that will run Conroe 2? Preferably one with hardware RAID controller on the board or at least RAID controller that will work under CentOS? Or am I pushing my luck too far?
    there are no server boards come with hardware XOR engine on board except some proprietary boards in Dell/HP servers...

the best on-board "hostRAID" can do is running it from Windows OS. for CentOS or any other linux flavors for that matter, you can only use all SATA drives to configure a Linux OS software array, providing that kernel driver is availabe for on-board SATA host controller. any RAID configured by on-board HostRAID BIOS is ignored by linux.