New to colocating servers, anyone wanna answer qustions?

Thanks for anyone who takes time and explains how this whole thing works.

1st. Is there any certain colocation service that offers more then the next. I've viewed a couple sites and they all seem pretty much the same, i rent space, pay for power and bandwidth and thats it.

2nd. How do my servers get there and get installed? Do i need to ship them or do i drive them right to the datacenter and have them install them. I couldnt possibly install them myself, as i dont have the slightlest clue.

3rd. Are there companies that could do the initial setup of a OS install, cPanel install and setup.

4th and final question for now. I dont have a clue about the kind of server i'd need to purchase. It'd be used for a rather large site that always has atleast 1k users online, and sometimes peaks to 5k.

Thanks for any and all advice

Quote Originally Posted by ntfu2
    1st. Is there any certain colocation service that offers more then the next. I've viewed a couple sites and they all seem pretty much the same, i rent space, pay for power and bandwidth and thats it.
    You answer some of your own questions here, I'll explain:

2nd. How do my servers get there and get installed? Do i need to ship them or do i drive them right to the datacenter and have them install them. I couldnt possibly install them myself, as i dont have the slightlest clue.

3rd. Are there companies that could do the initial setup of a OS install, cPanel install and setup.
    Therein lies the differences in colocation companies. Some will do those things for you at no charge while others might charge an hourly fee, and others might not do them at all.

You might find a provider that has seemingly cheap monthly rates but then charges you a hefty hourly rate should you ever need anyone at the facility to support anything for you, whereas you also might find a provider with high monthly rates that includes that support service in their rates. (Then of course there are always the really expensive providers that also charge really expensive hourly support rates )

Best way to find out what each will do is to shoot each of their sales departments an email with what you are looking for.

4th and final question for now. I dont have a clue about the kind of server i'd need to purchase. It'd be used for a rather large site that always has atleast 1k users online, and sometimes peaks to 5k.
    I think you'll need to provide more information in regards to your application before anyone can answer this portion of your question. 1,000 users viewing static content would be much different than 1,000 users browsing a forum or 1,000 users streaming music.

Thanks for any and all advice
    You're welcome!
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

2nd: This depends on which colocation host you choose. Usually, a colo shop will install for you or let you install in their space on your own. If you do not have a clue of what to do, then it is probably best to pay remote hand rates and have your colo shop does it all for you. In this case, you will probably be better off with more expensive shops that actually has a clue of what's going on and will willingly give you guidelines and tours of how to administer/maintain the equipment.

3rd: Asked around, I'm pretty sure many colo shop will do this. Be prepare to pay standard remote hands rates for installation of OS/cPanel and the such, at least that is what we charge if we do it

4th: All depends on what you do and what you need. Are you hosting a forum?

Since you don't seems to know much of what you are doing, why not just get a dedicated and make your life simpler?

Hosting several forums, but only one is big time with the 1k plus users at all times.

So it'd be server database content, and mostly image attachments with a small mix of videos and music

With this information I can't give you any specifics, however I highly suggest you find servers which don't use a lot of power.

Data Centres charge an extra MRC (Monthly Recurring Charge) for additional power, if you can get as little power as possible per rack, while still filling the rack with the machines you need, up you'll save big in the long run.