Fraudulent Sign-ups

Hi Everyone,

I just received another fraudulent sign-up today. Only this one passed most of my fraud check requirements. The person went as far as using the correct name, address and phone number for the credit card and other things matched as well. I did my usual investigation and found one discrepancy. I contacted the person since the correct phone for the card was given and we determined that someone else was indeed trying to use his credit card number fraudulently and he didn't know it.

Is it worth the effort to try and turn someone in for doing this? If so, who should I contact to do this? What information should I have to provide?

Thanks!

I would just contact the credit card company, you can probably provide them an IP which they can track the guy down by. Unfortunately there are a lot of fraud purchases now-a-days, people don't learn.

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantHosts
    Hi Everyone,

I just received another fraudulent sign-up today. Only this one passed most of my fraud check requirements. The person went as far as using the correct name, address and phone number for the credit card and other things matched as well. I did my usual investigation and found one discrepancy. I contacted the person since the correct phone for the card was given and we determined that someone else was indeed trying to use his credit card number fraudulently and he didn't know it.

Is it worth the effort to try and turn someone in for doing this? If so, who should I contact to do this? What information should I have to provide?

Thanks!
    Hi,

In most cases it isnt worth it at all, as the fraud signups are increasing in ridiculously these days and even though 90% does get blocked, theres always some that gets passed through. Just remove them once you find out and try to tighten the fraud prevention system even more is my suggestion.

Take care
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

What was the domain name used in the signup?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

That's why it's nice to phone verify every order, regardless of how it looks. Simply asking the real owner of the card if he signed up for your services would have saved you all of this hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    That's why it's nice to phone verify every order, regardless of how it looks. Simply asking the real owner of the card if he signed up for your services would have saved you all of this hassle.
    All of what hassle? He called the guy up and found it to be fraudulant.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    All of what hassle? He called the guy up and found it to be fraudulant.
    Oops, must have missed that part.

I thought that he didn't call and just assumed it to be legit. Sorry.

Oops, must have missed that part.

I thought that he didn't call and just assumed it to be legit. Sorry.
    Apology not accepted. A public flogging is in order!

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    What was the domain name used in the signup?

--Tina
    Hi Tina,

I was with Hometown Hosting as a reseller then with you for a while before.....

Anyway, they signed up without specifying a domain name. I think the guy who's credit card was being used was taken back by my phone call!

Regards,
    Dave

That's what I did!

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantHosts
    Hi Tina,

I was with Hometown Hosting as a reseller then with you for a while before.....

Anyway, they signed up without specifying a domain name. I think the guy who's credit card was being used was taken back by my phone call!

Regards,
    Dave

Yes, I remember you!

We actually automatically refund/don't setup any order that doesn't specify a valid domain name.

--Tina

Nothing new, I am getting frauded all the time.. I usually do my own verification and contact the customer.. It takes all of about 5 minutes to verify a customer.