Thread: dns resolver

dns resolver

I just saw this posted on my host's forum, dated May 2005

Recently we have begun migrating to new dns resolver ip addresses. These new ip addresses are 66.118.170.2 and 66.118.170.3. The old ip addresses of 66.118.128.20 and 66.118.128.21 will be supported for several more months. However any clients using them are requested to begin using the new ips at their earliest convenience.
    My server has been using the _old_ ip addresses for over a year without any issues. why is that? I don't understand how it works. My /etc/resolv.conf also contains my server ip address.

/etc/resolv.conf

; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    nameserver 66.118.128.20
    nameserver 66.118.128.21
    nameserver 63.246.x.x

So, I just edit resolv.conf and replace the old ips with the new ips, right? After saving the changes to the fiile, what do I have to do next? Thanks.
    Last edited by HD Fanatic; 09-11-2006 at 03:28 PM.

If you're using your own resolver, you don't even need to worry about updating that. However, yes, you are correct, you simply need to update the ip addresses in /etc/resolv.conf.

If you're using your own resolver, as well, make SURE you've added (proper) dns recursion protecton.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

What do you mean if I use my own resolver, I don't need to update?
    nameserver 63.246.x.x is my server IP, how could it do dns lookups if there isn't any dns servers set (besides my server IP)?

Also, is that why I am unable to resolve the hostname of my server (from a remote location) when the server is down/crashed?

Yes, I already edited named.conf to close dns server.
    Last edited by HD Fanatic; 09-11-2006 at 04:40 PM.

If you're using your own ip addresses, your own server for dns resolving, remove their ip addresses, and you'll be fine.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Oh, isn't it better to put the other IPs anyway?

better to put the local server IP first, as it's faster, right? lol, sorry for so many questions.
    Last edited by HD Fanatic; 09-11-2006 at 04:58 PM.