Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domain theft?

Domain theft?

A customer of mine placed an order for the domain akvariefisk.com on sep. 8th. The order was not processed because he didn`t pay the invoice, which he did today.
    Now, I found out that on the 9th, the domain was registered by:

Registrant:
    Click Cons. Ltd (AKVARIEFISK-COM-DOM)
    Kings Court, Bay Street
    P.O. Box N-3944
    Nassau,
    BS
    +852.30178436
    +852.30178436
    click@ClickConsultingLtd.com

Domain Name: AKVARIEFISK.COM

How can this happen? akvariefisk.com is made up by 2 norwegian words, and I`m sure those people at clickconsultingltd.com doesn`t even know what the words means..
    Is it possible that someone is eavesdropping on whois searches made from my website?

How is this domain theft?

The domain expired and was registered once it was available:

Domain Name: AKVARIEFISK.COM
    Registrar: DOMAINDOORMAN, LLC
    Whois Server: whois.domaindoorman.com
    Referral URL: http://www.domaindoorman.com
    Name Server: DNS2.DNS-PARKING-SERVICE.COM
    Name Server: DNS1.DNS-PARKING-SERVICE.COM
    Name Server: DNS.DNS-PARKING-SERVICE.COM
    EPP Status: ok
    Updated Date: 09-Sep-2006
    Creation Date: 09-Sep-2006
    Expiration Date: 09-Sep-2007
    WebsiteForum.com | Now Live ! DnsCheck.com | Coming Soon !

Quote Originally Posted by fattee77
    How is this domain theft?
    I second that question.

How you can say that something was stolen from you when it never was yours?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

I agree that it was never mine. Where can you see that it expired?

Quote Originally Posted by Vpower
    I agree that it was never mine. Where can you see that it expired?
    Once a domain expires it's fair game. Welcome to the Internet.

I just found it strange that the domain was registered the day after my client had placed an order for it..
    Thanks for the answers anyay

I just found it strange that the domain was registered the day after my client had placed an order for it..
    Thanks for the answers anyay
    Well you should have had your "client" register it that day, instead you waited to long...

I know.. it wasn`t me that waited, it was him that did not pay until today. Anyways, he registererd akvariefisk.org instead, and was happy with that

Well it's not theft, I agree. But it's almost the same thing. Which whois searches did you use for searching for the domain? I think you should avoid using the same whois searches in the future.
    Signature Under Construction.

Domain thief

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Well it's not theft, I agree. But it's almost the same thing. Which whois searches did you use for searching for the domain? I think you should avoid using the same whois searches in the future.
    I agree. It's almost theft. I registered 3 domains with Enom, and they worked fine. But later they said my credit card was fraud, disabled my account and asked us to send some legal documents. We sent them required documents, account is now ok, but our most important domain is gone. Whois search gives following results:

P.O. Box N-3944
    Nassau,
    BS
    +852.30178436
    +852.30178436
    click@ClickConsultingLtd.com

Domain Name: Mydomain.COM

Record last updated on 11-Sep-2006.
    Record expires on 11-Sep-2007.
    Record created on 11-Sep-2006.

I registered 3 domains with Enom, and other 2 are OK. I used whois search for Mydomain.com through GoDaddy, so I think that Click cons (underlying: DomainDoorman) monitors GoDaddy queries and steals our domain!

To note: Mydomain is mongolian word.

Had the same thing happen to me eariiler this month! Was doing searches in the early hours (2-3am) of Sept 4th for a name to register for a small non-profit where I do some volunteer work. I found a never registered org domain (it did not exist). Since it was late and I didn't feel like running through all the numbers to open them up a Namecheap account at the time, I just went to bed.

Next morning, the domain was gone...registered at about 3am my time, right about the time I was searching. Can't remember whether it was the same company that registered it, but I remember they were in the Bahmas (saved the whois but can't find it right now).

I freaked. This was no coincidence.

Found a variation and registered the com, net & org of the variation real quick using my own Namecheap account.

BUT check this out. On Sept 8th, when I did a whois, the domain didn't exist? Huh? So I registered it that instant. So you guys should check your names in a day or so to see if they are again available.

I had been meaning to pop in here and ask how that happened and here I see this thread where it is happening to others. Is there a way to check history on a domain name?

This whois server was used: whois.publicinterestregistry.net
    From my own website, www.onebigbyte.no
    I see that this domain has been registered before, used http://www.archive.org/web/web.php to see that..
    anyway, it is so funny that they registered it the day after my client tried to register it.. Would have been funny to know when the domain actually expired?
    Clickconsultingltd.com would probably get very rich now, now that they got themselves domain names with both norwegian and mongolian words

Agreed, it is not theft, as it was never officially owned. However, I too am seeing an uncomfortable trend where domain shoppers are checking domain availability, then somehow (magically and all too conveniently), the domain is registered the next day by someone else. Seems highly suspect. Not to mention troubling.

When I shop for a domain name, I now make it a habit to register any domain name that I am considering developing. I no longer "mull it over" for a few days before deciding to spend the < ten bucks. If it's available, I simply register it on the spot. As a result, I end up with a few unwanted domains, but in the end, I never lose a domain that I really want to this type of suspect activity.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

sad that it is going this way, but probably not unexpected.. Maybe turn it into something "positive" from a selling point. After whois search, on the result page, I can place a warning, that if the customer don`t register it right away, it might be lost forever..

yeah, I had this problem where a domain was snatched from me when checking availability. Mine was under CapitolDomains (same company as DomainDoorman, just under a different registrar name). The funny thing is they threw my domain back 2 days after they registered it, so I was able to register it OK. I heard that they tend to throw back domains if they find them invaluable or don't get a lot of traffic, so my advice to people with this domain snatching problem is to just ignore the domain and hope they drop it, because they probably will if it's an uncommon domain or they find it not profitable.

Also, I noticed that checking for domain availability on GoDaddy or any ResellerClub reseller tends to get intercepted somehow. There was an article on CNET awhile ago about this. I always noticed though that running the "whois" command on a linux console to check domain availability never seem to get intercepted, so that's what I do now.
    R.J. Keller
    Keller Technologies Inc. Web Hosting
    http://www.kellertechnologies.com

Quote Originally Posted by rjkeller
    The funny thing is they threw my domain back 2 days after they registered it, so I was able to register it OK.
    Same here. I suppose they decided that an unpronounceable .org name wasn't going to make them any $ so they threw it back a few days later. Lucky for me I checked.

But then again, the reason it had not been registered before is because it would be basically useless to any squatters looking for future earnings. That is why I think this is some kind of bot snatching, registering, then holding for human review.

Is there some point at which the domain name gods (whoever they may be) would decide that these folks are abusing the system by registering names that are thrown back a day or so later?

I think we should figure out which Whois is leaking information, then set up a script to query every possible combination. Drive them right into bankruptcy.

Well, I'd imagine you customer would be able to pick-up the domain in another year, when it expires, and drops.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaperducer
    Drive them right into bankruptcy.
    Not possible. They are getting their money back, after 5 days.

that is very weird - i ahave seen this many times, but i usually register with godaddy.com and i have never had any problems at all - i know it happened alot at networksolutions.com a bit back

node13admin >> it's funny, because the most trustworthy story I've read was exactly about GoDaddy.

This is straight from thier website those bastards!

Click Consulting, Ltd. employs algorithmic software to look for domain names that were previously deleted or dropped by the old registrant.

And what exactly is wrong with that???

It would have been interesting to know when that domain expired. I it just expired before it was registered again, it`s all just a coincidense.. but if it had been available for a longer period before the domain was registered it`s suspicious..
    Btw. I just checked whois on the domain akvariefisk.com and they have dropped it.. so it`s available again.. (and my client won`t register it because he registered another domain..)

It would have been interesting to know when that domain expired. I it just expired before it was registered again, it`s all just a coincidense.. but if it had been available for a longer period before the domain was registered it`s suspicious..
    In my case, the name had been available for at least a year (the .com was long gone but the .org I do not believe had ever been registered). I remember looking at it a long time ago, but the group was undecided because they hate to spend money on anything not directly related to their cause.

When they started talking about a website again last month I decided to register the name just in case. I searched, it was still available...few hours later, it was gone. Four days later, it was available again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast