Unhappy Need suggestions for replacing LiquidWeb

First, let me premise my post by saying that I have been very pleased with LW's service up to this point, but it appears I purchased hosting from them without thoroughly looking over their distribution plan for IP addresses.

I need a host that will allow me to secure virtual domains with individual ssl's ( a wildcard ssl is not a solution in this instance) - to do this I require the ability to have more than one IP on one shared hosting account (VPS or Dedicated is out of my budget for the moment).

Can any of you recommend a host comparable to LW that provides multiple IP's or at least the option to buy more as needed?

With the understanding that each account / Domain name would need its own Dedicated IP address, there are lots of Hoster that can provide that for you. If you do have alot of accounts though, might be in your best interest to checkout a Reseller package.
    • PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    • Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    • ServerAdmin Services also available

I don't think this would be a problem with most hosts, however you may have to explain the host upfront, why exactly you'll be needing these IP's. Did you explain your situation to LW?
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

I only have 6 personal accounts that need hosting, one of which is an ecommerce site. And yes, a few days ago I did explain my needs to the tech department at LW and they told me I would need to buy a second shared hosting account or move to a VPS. I thought it odd that I couldn't buy a second IP as this is nearly a ubiquitous feature amongst hosting companies.

I wouldn't mind a reseller package, as I would have access to WHM again (you don't get this with shared packages at LW). My concern is having the same level of customer care that I have had with LW if I do change hosts.

For a budget indicator, I'm paying $250 annually and I'm trying to remain in this pay area. Also, I am not interested in cheap bargain hosts.
    Last edited by GiantRedwood; 09-11-2006 at 11:09 AM.

GiantRedwood,

The issue is that with certain panels (read: cPanel) it's impossible to 'automatically' configure the account with secondary IP addresses.

If you're after a specific panel like cPanel you will need to either go with a reseller account (or a shared host that offers WHM access, I believe site5 does) or get a host that's willing to manually make the modifications on your behalf!

Good luck with the hunt
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hello GiantRedwood,

You really wouldnt need a reseller account for what you are trying to do.
    Anyhost with multiple domain hosting can accomodate.

If you stick with cpanel, you would need a modified reseller account - essentially you would have 1 login for each control panel and ftp for each domain

If you go with a true multiple domain solution like hsphere, you would have 1 control panel and ftp login for all domains - and you would be able to manage every aspect of every domain from a central location

the problem you seem to be having is how cpanel handles addon domains - which is why I am assuming you cannot get dedicated IP's added - the domain you need a dedicated IP for is an addon domain.

Lots of reputable resellers around. Let us know if you would prefer the cpanel route, the hsphere route or another route entirely, and I am sure you will get lots of recommendations..

Also, I am not interested in cheap bargain hosts.
    Now thats a pleasant change of pace for these parts

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    If you stick with cpanel, you would need a modified reseller account - essentially you would have 1 login for each control panel and ftp for each domain
    Just wanted to clarify, with a Reseller account using WHM/Cpanel, the Reseller can login once and access all their sub-accounts.
    • PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    • Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    • ServerAdmin Services also available

Just wanted to clarify, with a Reseller account using WHM/Cpanel, the Reseller can login once and access all their sub-accounts.
    Hi Rob, of course they can, and sorry if I made it seem otherwise - however, this is how every reseller account operates - it is still many accounts and many ftp accounts - the fact that you can log into each account from a central location still makes it multiple accounts.

With a true multipe domain solution, you log into 1 account and no additional logins. you also only log into 1 ftp account. Its like having 1 single end user cpanel account without the problems associated with add-on domains (ie adding dedicated IP's)

I only have 6 personal accounts that need hosting, one of which is an ecommerce site. And yes, a few days ago I did explain my needs to the tech department at LW and they told me I would need to buy a second shared hosting account or move to a VPS. I thought it odd that I couldn't buy a second IP as this is nearly a ubiquitous feature amongst hosting companies.
    May be LW is hosting your sites as addon domains, so this could be the case that they are unable to assign you with multiple IP's. I would recommend hosting your sites on separate control panels so you can have a dedicated IP assigned for each of your domains. A reseller Plan or a multi-domain hosting plan would best cater your needs and there is no need for a VPS.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

I wanted to mention that I'm very familiar with the advantages of having a reseller account and WHM at my disposal as I've had 3 reseller accounts prior to LW. I have to admit that I have missed having that level of control.

I spent the past hour poking around site5 (no longer offers reseller accounts and no multiple IP's) and HostGator (no discount for paying a full year in advanced). The next one I was going to investigate was Lunar Pages. Basically what I require is 2500 mb of space on a Linux box with PHP and Apache, multiple domain name and IP address capacity and very good phone support around the same $250 price that I am paying now.

@SkynetHosting - in regard to the add-on domains, this is what another webhost explained to me, but I was unable to get such info from LW themselves.

@Cartika - I wanted to look at your Linux offerings but the link on your front page is broken.

EDIT TO ADD - page is loading fine now - temporary glitch in the matrix I suppose.
    Last edited by GiantRedwood; 09-11-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    With a true multipe domain solution, you log into 1 account and no additional logins. you also only log into 1 ftp account. Its like having 1 single end user cpanel account without the problems associated with add-on domains (ie adding dedicated IP's)
    An account that host multiple domains is a multiple domain solution, and is just a matter of implementation, be it via a reseller interface, addon domains or otherwise. Since you are happy with the functionality WHM offers, my suggestion is to just draw up a list of companies and ask them whether you can have X IPs, justifying what each IP is for. Typically SSL will be a valid justification, and I fail to see why it wouldn't be granted.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

My shortlist at the moment:

Lunar Pages
    A Small Orange
    (though they don't have phone support, they look promising)

I thought it appropriate to give an update on this matter. Liquid Web was able to resolve my issue regarding installing an SSL on a virtual domain though the techs had first told me they could not? I just know it's working now, so kudos to them. They are a good company with great and effective support.