Thread: YouTube Project

Oklahoma City

YouTube Project

I am working on a youtube type site and need to know if I should start out on a VPS or with a dedicated server. I don't expect to explode immediately with 1,000's of users but I do expect steady growth and would prefer an easy path to keep upgrading as the site grows. I have heard of server clustering but do not understand how it all works.

The script I am running requires:

1.) MySQL (version 4 or higher)
    2.) PHP (version 4.2.3 or higher)
    3.) FFmpeg (
    4.) FFmpeg-PHP (
    5.) Mplayer + Mencoder ( )
    6.) flv2tool (
    7.) LAME MP3 Encoder
    8.) Libogg + Libvorbis (

Are those specs standard on servers?

While they're not standard they would be fairly simple to install.
    My recommendation would be to go with a dedicated provider with an upgrade path: Your best initial bet in this case as you're developinging a project is to go with a vps (something I rarely recommend).

The benefit of a VPS in this case is that your code and daemons are segmented from the other users so anything stupid you or they do will not effect the entire server.

I don't forsee any need to immediately skip straight to a dedicated just yet: Just choose a company that has an easy enough upgrade path!

Good luck with the hunt.
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Chicago, IL USA
    I have to agree with David. VPS would be a very good solution here for you. Get with a company that allows easy upgrades any time you like. I am not familiar with all the floash files you require, but I am sure most hosts will install them for you as long as they are not resource hogs.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Any script that requires FFMpeg, lame, etc is going to need the horese power and memory of a dedicated. You will bring a VPS to it's knees running that stuff and serving webpage content.

Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price. - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.