Rsync, is it a stupid question?

Hi,

I'm going use Rsync for the first time for incremental backup. Now as far as I understood rsync, if the size of any file is changed, rsync overwite it with the new version. Now I am going for daily back-ups, so consider this scenario

A hacker or my server management company delete all the data in a db by mistake. Now the file size will change. Rsync is set to run after every 24 hours. After knowing that my data is lost, I would go for my back up, but it would have the changed files .. My lost data is gone?

How to manage this situation in Rsync? As I don't know how Rsync works, so don't know if its a valid question.

JK

I suggest you first read 'man rsync' and view the docs / FAQ at http://rsync.samba.org.

Look at the following features in the man pages

-b, --backup make backups (see --suffix & --backup-dir)
    --backup-dir=DIR make backups into hierarchy based in DIR
    --suffix=SUFFIX backup suffix (default ~ w/o --backup-dir)

Thanks,

Jeremy

Alternatively, use something like rsnapshot that will keep several versions of your backups, as they change. Its always a good idea (using *any* backup system) to keep grandfather-father-son backups, so if the son is deleted, you can still restore from the father.. and so on.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

Just to be clear, rsnapshot runs on top of rsync. It's great, and it's not an alternative, it's a smarter usage of rsync.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/