Unhappy Startlogic.Com -- My Review

I am hosted with Startlogic.Com for more than a year now. Initially I was so happy with them that I even recommended them on many occasions on certain forums. But now, it’s a different story.

Lately I have been seeing their “max_questions” limit achieved message quite a few times. Infect, I am in trouble for more than two weeks now and I don’t know what to do. Their support has gone to such a low standard that I get different answers for the same questions. A person on support says that the limit “max_questions” is set to per user on daily basis other said it’s per hour. One said it’s per DB, other said it’s per DB user.

On my support ticket, I have been told two times that the limit is set to auto-rest on hourly basis so if I exceed the limit, my DB user should be reset after an hour. But my site was down for more than 24 hours coz I was not able to contact them (As I do everyday these days).

But the thing that came out of it was, the limit was never set to auto-rest as they claim. A person “Alan” just said they will forward this issue to set the limit on auto-reset. (After two weeks of continuous trouble). Their reply on my tickets marked as “Critical” was in time, but the funny thing is they never replied to what I ask for. And yes, they don’t bother to give a second reply on the same ticket.

I have been told every time that I should upgrade to a VPS for my site. My site is my hobby site. I am not doing business with it. I don’t have too many daily users for it. Then why would I go for a VPS that will cost me five times as much as I m paying now??

I just want to say that “With Everyday Low Price” Startrlogic.Com has gone to “Everyday Low Standard” so beware of them. The offer seem to be the best out there, but spend sometime to check if they really mean what they said. (I don’t think so, not anymore)
    I don’t care if they suspend my account on this thread, but I really want to tell this thing.
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

How many concurrent connections does your mysql database have?

Hi Fastian

As Ali said, this could be due to your number of concurrent connections steadily increasing over the past year to the point Startologic can no longer put you on a shared account anymore in a shared enviornment thus asking you to upgrade.

Please do give us a ball park figure of how many users you have on your forum/cms and so on usually or during peak hours.

Most hosts would reset your mysql limit if you send in a ticket right away and let you know about the issue so you may try to optimize it a bit or see what you can do to decrease load on server but others might just ask you to upgrade in the case of Startologic.

I hope your issue can be addressed and I have to say if you need to contact them daily to reset your mysql limit then something is definitely wrong here either on your end in terms of too much traffic/users or there are some server config issues needing some attention.

Cheers
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
    Please do give us a ball park figure of how many users you have on your forum/cms and so on usually or during peak hours.
    Cheers
    True. If I would have a big site; I would certainly try to do anything that I could to get it running. Even if it means getting a VPS.

The thing is my site is really a small site. In the last month, the maximum page views it received were 893. (You can confirm by seeing webstats4u.com statistics at the bottom of the page). My daily unique users are not more than 200. (300+ once in blue moon)

I am ruining 4images gallery script that comes with built-in cache feature that is set to 30 minutes on my site. My page queries are 50/page (Maximum) and some pages just take 30 queries/page. Even then I am hitting 50,000 queries limit per hour. (I don’t know how that is possible)

I requested them twice to look into this matter and check if there is something wrong on their side. But all I got was something that they have written some where to paste for every question regarding "max_questions"

So what you experts think ?
    What should I Do??

same issue with me with my previous host... only have around 800 users and I only peak like 200-300 uniques per day and around 3k-4.5k hits per day but members logged in the most i've seen is around 15-20. maybe like 50queries each page but most people just use the forums part. so I had to move and seems like all good from here will not mention the name yet will give feedback after a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by slackerpunk
    same issue with me with my previous host... only have around 800 users and I only peak like 200-300 uniques per day and around 3k-4.5k hits per day but members logged in the most i've seen is around 15-20. maybe like 50queries each page but most people just use the forums part. so I had to move and seems like all good from here will not mention the name yet will give feedback after a month or so.
    On my part, i am trying my best to reduce the queries. But still i cant understand if 30 queries/page can make that kind of trouble.

Even if my queries are smaller and don’t give any kind of trouble to the server, they r not going to increase this limit.

yeah I am with you with that.. not really too sure about how they grade cpu usage with that so can't really comment... but this new host I am in right now seems to be handling the load I need perfectly since they have a dedicated server for sql instead of the normal localhost thing