Thread: Impossible?

* Impossible?

Is is possible...?
    I was wondering if there were any good, reliable hosts out there...I've seen countless complaints against every host
    that has plans that I like. Email not working, too much downtime, customer support, etc; I've been searching for
    months....it's pretty hard. =/
    I know it's almost impossible to find a host with what I'm about to state, but it's worth a try.
    My dad wants to start a business website, and he's willing to share some of the resources for my personal site...so
    I'm looking for a reliable host here...
    * At least 5GB diskspace (more would be nice)
    * At least 200GB bandwidth (the more the better...this is a minimum...those terabyte one's would be nice =])
    * Not too much downtime (essential)
    * Working email (important...)
    * Decent customer support (doesn't have to be instant, but I'm looking for about a few hours at the most for a
    reply)
    * Fast activation of account (I'd like to be able to use the account straightaway)
    * Under $15 monthly (have a tight budget to work with here...)
    * Domain hosting (at least 5) (important)
    * Free domain or E-commerce software would be a bonus but not required
    * Subdomains (at least 10)
    * At least 10 MySQL databases
    * A clear, reasonable CPU usage or other server usage requirements
    * Reasonable refund policy
    * At least 20 email accounts (preferably web-based) (important)
    * At least 10 FTP users (essential)
    * PHP, CGI, SSI, htaccess support
    * Online Statistics would be nice...
    * Honesty! =)
    * None of that trickery stuff eh?
    I'm a picky one, aren't I?
    I've heard about Dreamhost and Servage, but it seems they're overselling too much and there's lots of problems and
    stuff...Aplus.net looks good but a little too limited in the things they don't advertise, like MySQL databases and
    FTP accounts..you need to pay extra for those...so it just seems like a marketing ploy to me, with all that disk
    space and bandwidth. All this stuff is hurting my head. =/
    Also, is there any information where I can find out about hosting yourself on your own computer?
    And where would the cheapest domain name registration be for .com's...with DNS management and >>reliability<<
    Thanks to all in advance!!! And for reading my long, strange post =)

Hi,

From what I've read your requirements are very reasonable and for $15/mo. you can get such a deal if you dig around with all the features you require. Most cPanel hosts with Fantastico should allow you to have access to all the ecommerce features as well as mysql,email,ftp,subdomains, multiple domain hosting and so on.

Most hosts now a days also have instant account activation and just make sure you have a domain pointed to them asap to get your site up and running within few hours. Also you should be able to work on your site the minute your account is setup by accessing the account via the server IP and so on.

Just do your research and you shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding a good reputable host with your price range. As for domain registration for the best price, I'd take a look at namecheap.com or godaddy.com.

Good luck.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I don't think you'll find anything of the type your looking for for $15/month - you can take a look at www.dotable.com (they're Australian based too, with servers in Los Angeles). I have a few sites there and I really can't complain .

Are you serious?

No. For $15 a month, no. Not 200gb bandwidth. And yes hoobastank68, I know you're offering some ungodly amount of bandwidth for a few bucks a month, but that doesn't change the fact that its not viable.

Cool

I think your requirements are pushing your budget a bit too since you want dependability & good support, but you also want a lot of databases, a lot of domains & sub domains, a lot of FTP accounts etc. The overall space/transfer/features like e-commerce requirements aren't bad but all things together plus reliable/good support (and a clear CPU policy etc) may be hard to get all together for $15 since all those other requirements look like it might get CPU intensive etc.
    Best wishes.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by annerong
    Is is possible...?
    I was wondering if there were any good, reliable hosts out there...I've seen countless complaints against every host
    that has plans that I like. Email not working, too much downtime, customer support, etc; I've been searching for
    months....it's pretty hard. =/
    I know it's almost impossible to find a host with what I'm about to state, but it's worth a try.
    My dad wants to start a business website, and he's willing to share some of the resources for my personal site...so
    I'm looking for a reliable host here...
    * At least 5GB diskspace (more would be nice)
    * At least 200GB bandwidth (the more the better...this is a minimum...those terabyte one's would be nice =])
    * Not too much downtime (essential)
    * Working email (important...)
    * Decent customer support (doesn't have to be instant, but I'm looking for about a few hours at the most for a
    reply)
    * Fast activation of account (I'd like to be able to use the account straightaway)
    * Under $15 monthly (have a tight budget to work with here...)
    * Domain hosting (at least 5) (important)
    * Free domain or E-commerce software would be a bonus but not required
    * Subdomains (at least 10)
    * At least 10 MySQL databases
    * A clear, reasonable CPU usage or other server usage requirements
    * Reasonable refund policy
    * At least 20 email accounts (preferably web-based) (important)
    * At least 10 FTP users (essential)
    * PHP, CGI, SSI, htaccess support
    * Online Statistics would be nice...
    * Honesty! =)
    * None of that trickery stuff eh?
    I'm a picky one, aren't I?
    I've heard about Dreamhost and Servage, but it seems they're overselling too much and there's lots of problems and
    stuff...Aplus.net looks good but a little too limited in the things they don't advertise, like MySQL databases and
    FTP accounts..you need to pay extra for those...so it just seems like a marketing ploy to me, with all that disk
    space and bandwidth. All this stuff is hurting my head. =/
    Also, is there any information where I can find out about hosting yourself on your own computer?
    And where would the cheapest domain name registration be for .com's...with DNS management and >>reliability<<
    Thanks to all in advance!!! And for reading my long, strange post =)
    Unfortunately you will probably end up with a host just like you state above:
    countless complaints! You mention your fathers business website? Do you have any idea how much disk space is required for his site? Honestly, I would be surprised if he needed more than 50mb space, so you must be looking for the tremendous amounts for your personal space?
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

You will be able to find what you are looking for except for the
    good, reliable hosts
    part of your requirements.

I've heard about Dreamhost and Servage, but it seems they're overselling too much and there's lots of problems and stuff...
    Why not consider these hosts if they provide the resources you want at the price you want? These are the perfect hosts for you.

C'mon, let's look at reality here. The OP is asking for something that realistically doesn't exist. The OP wants very large amounts of resources at a price that is well below the cost it takes to provide those resources. And above all he wants a good reliable host. I am sorry to tell you that you cannot have it both ways. You can certainly find a host that is willing to offer you
    At least 5GB diskspace.... and At least 200GB bandwidth...
    for less than what it costs them to provide it to you. But do you really think they will be reliable for any extended period of time? Also, a good number of those hosts offering services below cost also have a TOS that will keep you from ever using all those resources. Also, most of these hosts do not provide backups if they lose your data. The fact is you are going to get what you pay for.

The most confusing part of your request for host suggestions is that you put down Dreamhost and Servage as oversellers yet you are asking for a host that has to oversell to you by a huge amount in order to give you what you want. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. What you want is going to cost you at least $40-$50 a month and you would still be hard pressed to find a good reliable host that can actually deliver those resources at that price. IMHO

One last comment. If any one wants to start a business on the Internet and wants to do it on a limited budget, does it make sense to use a host that oversells to a large degree? I would think that having your site down alot or have it load slowly because you went with a huge overseller is not a very good idea. Let's face it, you can't make money with your site if it's down and you will lose customers if it loads slowly. Yet that is exactly what you want it to do by not being realistic with your expectations. Good luck with your search and make sure you backup daily. You will need those backups with the type of host you are looking for.

What are you hosting that you need that much bandwidth? Are you taking a guess or do you really know you need that much....
    http://www.compunetcentral.com
    CompuNet Communications, Inc. - Reliable, Professional Web Hosting Solutions.
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover & PayPal accepted!
    Web Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated Servers with 24/7 Support