Need a reliable email host

Hi all --

I'm in a bit of a fix. I live by Outlook. Without it, I'm a wreck. So here's my situation:

I have 13 POP3 email accounts, and unfortunately growing. Do I want this many? No. Do I have another choice? Negative. That's what you get when you do work for a lot of difference organizations, I guess.

Outlook is (well, actually was) setup to download the email from each account, sort each message into a folder based upon which account it came from, and then allow me to reply to messages from each individual account. So if mail comes in from a geekcertified.com account, then when I reply, it goes out from that same account. Get it?

Good.

Last weekend my Outlook began performing sluggishly. The next thing I knew, I was getting a cyclic redundancy error and no program could access my outlook.pst file. I downloaded several applications (and tried the built-in one) to repair this seemingly corrupted file, but all failed. I was finally lucky enough to find one application to do it, at a nice cost of almost $200. At least I got my data back: All 1.4GB of my emails and contacts.

But the program wasn't perfect. In fact, it seemed to have doubled-up and even triple many messages—some being blank—and it didn't retain many of the contacts in the right form. What's more, if I try sending emails from Outlook, it attaches some weird file to outgoing emails. Crap.

So since my crash, I've been using webmail applications. Thirteen different webmail sites, every day. Yuck.

Now I have decided I don't want this to happen again. I don't want me to be in this awful position. I want to somehow remotely host my email so I can access my Outlook from any computer and without worry of having to fix this crap myself.

I've looked at Exchange hosting but I'm not sure if that's for me; it seems to be setup for individuals with only 1 email account and I'm not sure if Exchange servers will check POP3. I hear Fusemail does something like this, but it isn't Outlook and I don't think it has scheduling features either. I also don't know if Fusemail will allow me to reply from emails from their respective account.

Now, with my apologies for such a long post duly noted, can somebody help or point this sad little turtle in the right direction?

Thanks.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Hi Dan

Suprised your having email issues, I'd recommend maybe switching to a different email client similar to Outlook and there are many options such as Eudora, Opera's built in email client, Thunderbird, and the list goes on and I'm sure some of these free clients do have the option to import just as FireFox imports IE's bookmarks, history so on.

What you can do is make sure all these accounts are correctly setup at your computer, for me I would setup these pop3s on a PDA, Blackberry etc.. for on the road purposes and make the setting so these emails do not get removed after I download it to my PDA so it can be downloaded/stored again when I get back to my laptop.

The same is true if you view your emails via webmail provided by your host on the road and when at home use your outlook to retrieve and download the emails again or another email client.

I've had my outlook express setup for a long time and my stored emails are also getting larger and larger. My best recommendation is to do backups of your outlook emails if they're very important or just set it so you always leave a copy of them on your web host should work out as well.

Good luck
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Thanks for the advice John. Somebody also actually sent me a private message offering email hosting. But let me be clear -- I can go back to what I had before without problem, I just don't want to.

And I don't need POP3 email hosting. I'm trying to determine if there is some host or service that replicates Outlook but in a web-based environment. I have a hunch there is, but I'm not sure: that's why I am asking.

I'm also particularly interested in this as I'm on the road a bit, and I'm currently stuck with spotty Wi-Fi (I have to come back to the office to use Outlook). If I had a web-based fused-email solution, I could switch to Verizon's Laptop Connect service and access my email from both my laptop and my office desktop computer.

So, any thoughts? I surely must not be the only one with this dilemma.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Quote Originally Posted by danman
    Thanks for the advice John. Somebody also actually sent me a private message offering email hosting. But let me be clear -- I can go back to what I had before without problem, I just don't want to.

And I don't need POP3 email hosting. I'm trying to determine if there is some host or service that replicates Outlook but in a web-based environment. I have a hunch there is, but I'm not sure: that's why I am asking.

I'm also particularly interested in this as I'm on the road a bit, and I'm currently stuck with spotty Wi-Fi (I have to come back to the office to use Outlook). If I had a web-based fused-email solution, I could switch to Verizon's Laptop Connect service and access my email from both my laptop and my office desktop computer.

So, any thoughts? I surely must not be the only one with this dilemma.
    No problem. Might want to make a report for those that PMed ya

Anyways the POP3 is definitely not a bad direction to go in and from what I've read you basically want a Webmail solution that you can use with ONE LOGIN to check all email addresses for email and send out from the email address of your choosing?

As for the issue regarding your Wi-Fi connection, I would recommend getting a PDA or Blackberry and I can tell you my connection even though is only about 150kbps is very reliable when it comes to loading up EMAILS and loads Kayako helpdesk, server uptime pages etc.. very fast. My current PDA runs Windows Mobile 5 and the built in Outlook is very stable and easy to use as well, so you can load multiple emails at the same time with ease!

I would take a look at the available options, from Verizon to Cingular to Sprint and so on for something you like and within your price range.

Good luck.
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I'd strongly recommend you consider switching to IMAP; regardless of the protocol you use, though, take a look at using an install of Squirrelmail, the somewhat popular webmail program; it has some very nice support for sorting messages with filters, and the ability to poll multiple remote mailboxes. It's pretty straightforward, and also quite slick when you get used to it.

We have a number of customers doing essentially the same thing you're doing, and though I'm not positive any of them have thirteen accounts, I'm pretty confident it'd take care of what you want it to.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg
    I'd strongly recommend you consider switching to IMAP; regardless of the protocol you use, though, take a look at using an install of Squirrelmail, the somewhat popular webmail program; it has some very nice support for sorting messages with filters, and the ability to poll multiple remote mailboxes. It's pretty straightforward, and also quite slick when you get used to it.

We have a number of customers doing essentially the same thing you're doing, and though I'm not positive any of them have thirteen accounts, I'm pretty confident it'd take care of what you want it to.
    I have the option of using it right now, but does it allow me to synthesize many accounts?
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

I have the option of using it right now, but does it allow me to synthesize many accounts?
    That could be the problem. Although IMAP lets you store mail and folders on your mail server to remotely access from wherever, each account from each provider you use will have it's own set of remote folders and although you can move mail between different accounts it's going to get messy.
    The trouble with wanting a better product than Outlook, is there are precious few email products with all the features you are after that to a better job, I know, I've tried too and I'm back to the start again, still using Outlook. Those who recommend using Opera or Eudroa haven't tried switching from Outlook after an extended period of use to one of these alternatives because if they had, they would know they don't come close to the all in one solution that Outlook has become - even though it drives me mad and I would love to move away from it.

As far as email hosting goes most shared webhosts will support POP and IMAP. If you need just email and not website hosting then just pay for that. 1and1 hosting sucks but their webmail isn't as much of a nightmare and it's very cheap and fast. Most domain registrars also provide such as service at a minimal cost. One thing it is worth looking for though is daily backups, especially for someone wuch as yourself wh obviously relies 100% on emails from day to day.

Godaddy has e-mail only hosting available, that I believe, will do everything you want.

Having said that, I don't think I would ever have all my e-mail stored and entrusted to someone elses care. What if their hard drive crashes and they lose everything. I have had a couple of poor experiences in the past with the reliability of backups from some hosting services. I can imagine hearing the following : "Well, we have the server back online, but we were unable to restore anything from the backups, we'll give you a month of free hosting to make up for it."

Check out a couple of programs from Pocosystems called Barca or Pocomail. Barca is a full Calendar/Contact manager which includes Pocomail. Poco can be easily configured to back itself up (I have mine set at the default, which is make a backup after every 5 launches of the program). I receive over 200 e-mails a day and send anywhere from 5 - 50 daily, with no problems.

Their website is : www.pocosystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by danman
    If the remote mailbox fetching and filter features are enabled, yes. You set up all your accounts, set up filters to sort mail by the "to:" address, then hit the "fetch" button, select the account or accounts you want to poll ("fetch all"), wait a few moments, and voila, as they say in gallic climes.

If you can't get your administrator to enable the requisite features, it's relatively simple to create your own personal installation on a webserver somewhere, and though shell access makes configuration a lot easier, it's not required.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Just found this. Maybe it meets your requirements.

www.runbox.com

Do you own the domain names with the email accounts or can you change the mx values? If so, I would use something like http://www.everyone.net/personal-email-addresses.html . The space is limited but drop me a pm if you like the solution, I can let you know how to get extra space for free.. not illegal.... everyone.net is stable... I've been with them for years, without any issues.

Also, webmail.us...

Fusemail... sounds good, but I would stay away... they seem to be "always fixing" something and breaking something.... I tried them for 6 to 8 months and it was pure hell. Of course, that was last year... but check their forum to see if anything has changed. From looking at the forums, I don't think so... always something every month or every other month.... Always little stuff... can't read your mail or something is broke....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

If you can find a host that uses smartermail Enterprise, it has an outlook syncronization feature, although I have never used it, and have no feedback for you.

http://www.smartertools.com/products.../Features.aspx
    www.griffinhosting.com

WHMCS Security Plus+ : Addon module with additional security features for WHMCS billing system.

Using Outlook with hosted IMAP folders is a solution that may work for you. I have set it up with at least as many email accounts as you have and it works well.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)