Laggy ssh + slow

So I have a box with softlayer that I recently formatted and installed FreeBSD on.

It was terribly laggy to ssh and type in commands yesterday, but today it's much better.
    Although, when I do ps auxe, the server kinda halts for a few seconds before printing out output.

Suffice to say something just doesn't feel right.

There's barely any bandwidth being used right now on this server, and I'm not using my bandwidth either.

So, I have two questions; what could be the reason for a slowed down ps auxe output, and why would I be lagging when SSHing in some days and other days not?

I live in europe currently, so routing can be a problem, but I have a feeling it's the hardware or something.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by coax
    So, I have two questions; what could be the reason for a slowed down ps auxe output, and why would I be lagging when SSHing in some days and other days not?
    That sounds like TCP retransmissions are occurring due to either packet loss or jitter. Try running a continuous ping test against your server when you have the lag to see if you can correlate the problem.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Ok I did a lot of ping tests, and it seems like everytime I do 3 pings, the first ping is at 1000ms+ and then the next two are at 100-300ms.

WTF is all I have to say.

There is some kind of lag everytime a connection is initiated for the first time, and I cannot comprehend why.

Any ideas?

PS: I don't get this on other servers.