Nocster / Burst servers all down [09/10/06 - merged]

All my servers are down

Same here, just noticed it. I think it was up 5 mins ago

looks likes its only part of the DC, nocster.com is still up

My server is down too.

Burstnet support inform me:

"Hello, I believe storms are causing power issues for a few parts of our NOC
    We are currently looking into this."

Thanks
    Daniel

do they have a generator?

Quote Originally Posted by djblamire
    My server is down too.

Thanks
    Daniel
    Does that mean someone left a window open?

Me too. All my servers are down.

From http://members.iinet.com.au/~bofh/bofh/bofh6.html:

It's friday, so I get into work early, before lunch even. The phone rings. ****!

I turn the page on the excuse sheet. "SOLAR FLARES" stares out at me. I'd better read up on that. Two minutes later I'm ready to answer the phone.

"Hello?" I say.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET YOU ALL MORNING?!"

I hate it when they shout at me early in the morning. It always puts me in a bad mood. You know what I mean.

"Ah, yes. Well, there's been some solar activity this morning, it always disrupts electronics..." I say, sweet as a sugar pie.
    That must be it then, storms, solar activity, whatever!

Our servers are again unreachable ... so is nocster / burst.

Support isn't answering the phone. Anyone know what's happening now?

ditto.

Very annoying... Enphasis on the word

AGAIN

SORT YOURSELVES OUT BURST. ALL OF MY OTHER PROVIDERS MANAGE TO KEEP ONLINE 24x7x365 - WHY CAN'T YOU?

one server is back up on 64.191.97 range

down here too. Just woke me up again

(08:54:07) BURSTNET: It seems we are currently having a issue with power in parts of our NOC, We are looking into the problem as of now. Sorry for any delay caused in ticket, IM response and phone support.
    Thank You.
    BurstNET

Yep also down how many power issues can one place have - where is the backup!

What I dont understand is, where is the battery backups... this is not only taking out the network center, this is literally shutting down each box.

There HAS to be better redundancy than this.

BTW: We're back up now.

I'm not back up, I see the Burst website is however.

Their forum is back up, so I guess it's wait untill it's your turn and they restart your server.

It is around 1 hour of downtime so far

I thought they had generators that automatically 'kicked-in' when problems such as these happened.

Daniel

I continue with 1 server dowtime. Rang 66.197.155.

Quote Originally Posted by djblamire
    My server is down too.

Thanks
    Daniel
    Radar image from the time of the outage
    http://www.hostpc.com/images/2xradara5.gif

Wonder what storm they're talking about?

Electrician is on site at the moment fixing the problem

Hello. Somebody is with your servers downtime also? More than 2 hours of downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by hostpc.com
    Radar image from the time of the outage
    http://www.hostpc.com/images/2xradara5.gif

Wonder what storm they're talking about?
    That radar image is odd. I live in North east Ohio, about 4 hours from Scranton and we had a pretty large storm roll through around 6 AM. I slept through most of it, so I don't know how long it lasted for. With way weather moves, it would've hit them too, so the storm theory makes sense.

We still had ten servers down 30 minutes ago.
    We still have four down due to hardware failures after the power came back on.
    We had one still not working properly following last weeks incident until yesterday.
    Still have heard nothing about my SLA claim for last week.

I paid up front for a new server this week but I am just going to cancel it.
    Can't use them any more.

Clearly they have no functioning UPS system.
    Clearly they have inadequate weekend staffing.

I expect us to have several servers fried now and they are not being communicative.
    Last week we had some servers down for 24 hours.

seems this is second "power related issue" within a week: http://forums.burst.net/showthread.php?t=4034

server's still down after 3 hours.

If last week is anything to go by I expext our remaining servers to be off until tommorrow and several others to be uyp and down for a week due to various hardware failures.

Anyone else with problems should fear the worst.
    If you have a reasonable number of servers with them some of them are going to be fried.

No response from Burst to our latest ticket

Ticket ID: 1023731
    When Created: 09-10-2006 - 10:47AM
    Priority: 1 [change]
    Elapsed Time: 39 minutes

Maybe 39 minutes is not long enough for a response of any sort.

We experienced a power issue with a core facility UPS.
    This is the same core facility UPS affected last week.
    Unfortunately, equipment can fail from time to time, and we have been working our hardest to restore service as quickly as humanly possible.

Technicians are currently going thru and verifying all servers in the facility affected. We are currently working on the issue, and any server(s) still down should be up shortly, but most likely is back up already for some time now.

This is not a network related issued, and the overall network is running fine currently.

Due to this second similar issue, we will not have to manually test the facility UPS in question, to confirm the source of the issue. We had planned on manually testing the system to locate the exact issue in the next few days, after an ample stock of spare parts arrived which we had on order to replace our depleted stock due the initial occurance. We can now pinpoint the issue and have it repaired this week as soon as possible, without needing to manually test the system. We will be sending out notification via email once maintenance is scheduled, and once system is ready to be tested after repair.

We thank you for your patience and understanding, as well as your continued business.

This situation is bad. I bind for Nocster/Burst and nobody takes care of.

I got a boiler plate response to the ticket but there are still two servers down so I have put in individual tickets for these.

Still don't know what damage has been done to the other ones when the power came back up.

I understand that equiptment can fail ... that's a given anywhere at any time. My concern is two fold.

1. Identifying and fixing the problem - before it multiplies.
    The same issue happened last week, and according to the posts, cost many pieces of replacement parts to be out of stock, but since re-ordered/stocked. What exactly is failing?

2. Response and connectivity for customers in times of outages. During the initial outage this morning, your website, helpdesk and ticket system were all offline. I called the PA # listed, no answer in support. I tried a fax - no fax answer. I tried AIM support - no human response. Cell phones also were going to voicemail.

Have you considered colo'ing your support servers in another datacenter?

My biggest concern I guess is that I toured your datacenter about 2 weeks ago, and was shown generators, backups, cooling units that were supposedly all up and online. If this was a core power failure, why wasn't the battery backup immediately enabled in either instance? Switch bad?

As a new customer to Burst/Nocster, my first two weeks haven't been exactly "positive".

The exact issue is that something is causing one of our core facility UPS units not to revert back to normal mode once it goes to battery mode during a power flicker/outage. We believe it could be a faulty transfer switch within the UPS, but are not sure. It could also be a faulty control panel as well. The UPS will be serviced ASAP, hopefully tomorrow, now that we have confirmed the issue.

We apologize for the delay in responding to reboot/support tickets about the issue, which has been due to all available staff on-hand assisting with physically restoring service.

One of my servers is still down. Has been down for 7 hours and counting

<< One of my servers is still down. Has been down for 7 hours and counting >>

Please open a (new) reboot ticket, as all servers in our monitoring system are functioning, except for a few with booting issues which we are working on resolving still.

All my servers are down again. shouldn't we be reimbursed for all this down time??

Personally we didnt get any downtime it seems from our servers at NOCSTER this time

<< All my servers are down again. shouldn't we be reimbursed for all this down time?? >>

If you server(s) are down currently, it has nothing to do with the power issue.
    I would advise opening a reboot ticket for assistance.