Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • GoDaddy

20 26.32%
  • NameCheap

56 73.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GoDaddy vs. Namecheap

What domain registrar do you all like best? GoDaddy or Namecheap? I like godaddy because they have the paypal on account thing which makes it very easy to buy domains.

| | | |**The Top Web Hosts**

Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

Namecheap all the way. It is is much easier to do everything and there aren't as many problems. To push a domain in Namecheap, all you need is the person's username, not like in GoDaddy their name, address, and other info.
    ||||
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    ||||

I've used godaddy for years... namecheap, to be fair, I've never used.... You might get a lot of that in your poll....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by startsphere
    What domain registrar do you all like best? GoDaddy or Namecheap? I like godaddy because they have the paypal on account thing which makes it very easy to buy domains.
    Namecheap also features a PayPal connection with your account. I've used both registrars and I have to say, Namecheap prevails in my books.

I bought my first domain name ever with godaddy, and I have been extremely satisfied. I have never found a reason to try out a new registrar.
    Keep up the work godaddy!

I used both, and Namecheap were much better (for me).
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

Been with both, I absolutely love NameCheap.

Both have been pretty good. Namecheap is easier to manage with a single log-in for the registry and the Whoisguard. Godaddy's Domains-by-proxy creates extra log-ins.

One possible advantage of Godaddy is that the free parking page allows you to put up a little bit more content. It's not a lot, but still more than Namecheap.

NC any day. GoDaddy has terrible support services and the CEO annoys me.

All the new domains I buy I get at Namecheap. I used to use newista, they were a bit cheaper but I've had too many problems and to be honest they've ruined their site and never fixed it - it's terrible!

I sometimes use namepros, but the only time i've bought one is when I thought a domain expired in a years time so didn't bother transfering it then had to register it their again as you can't transfer expired domains.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

I use both. I prefer the cleaner layout of Namecheap but dont' like how they make the domain email on whois as text.

NameCheap, anyday.

I've used both.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

NameCheap. They will charge you 3% for using PayPal however, but that's still cheaper than GoDaddy (when comparing full prices). GoDaddy probably cheaper if you use coupon codes, but definitely NameCheap easier to use. GoDaddy support probably superior, so if you're a noob, you still might consider them, despite these overwhelming recommendations for NameCheap. If you're merely inexperienced... NameCheap. If you want privacy protection... NameCheap (over every other registrar).
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    NameCheap. They will charge you 3% for using PayPal however
    Hm... It must be very recent 'feature' of theirs, because I've paid by PayPal literally 2 days ago, w/o any additional charges.

Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

eh? As an eNom reseller, eNom charge 3% for PayPal registration. I'm pretty sure they charged me before, that's why I've the odd $0.04 balance in my account coz I had to guess the 3% amount. It must be very new that they no longer charge.

It has to be Namecheap.com. I've used both services. GoDaddy is too bulky, just offering too much. Also I've found NC support to be excellent in both response time and quality / understanding.

I prefer Namecheap too.

Seems I should give namecheap a try but I think like many ppl, I'm stuck with godaddy because they were the first good budget registrar and now I'm too lazy to switch to anything else...

Yes you should give them a try. I know we can all get used to ANY control panel, but NC is a LOT faster once you get used to it.

Namecheap was down for like 10 hours a few days ago

shows how reliable they are

Up until this spring, I would have said godaddy, hands down. I'd been using them for 4 years after all. After running across numerous issues with their support, and how millitant they are with security, well, I started looking for another provider.

Namecheap has (so far) managed to keep my business, and I'll be out of GD completely within the next few months (yay!)
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Namecheap was down for like 10 hours a few days ago

shows how reliable they are

We had some issues off and on for about 40 minutes and it only affected our home page. Please, let's keep the facts straight.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

I, too, love NameCheap. They update their domain stuff so soon it's almost instant. Plus I've never had any problems registering or setting up domains. They've also accepted paypal longer than GoDaddy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    We had some issues off and on for about 40 minutes and it only affected our home page. Please, let's keep the facts straight.
    Didn't you know that 40 minutes in "net life" is like 10 hours in "real life"? C'mon now, get with the program

[/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Didn't you know that 40 minutes in "net life" is like 10 hours in "real life"? C'mon now, get with the program

[/sarcasm]

Well it certainly did feel like 10 hours due to the stress it caused us.

Maybe he was really eager to register a certain domain and experienced the same phenomenon.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

I have always used and preferred Namecheap.
    Professional UK Web Hosting Company.

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    Well it certainly did feel like 10 hours due to the stress it caused us.

Maybe he was really eager to register a certain domain and experienced the same phenomenon.
    I checked early on in the day and my friend checked a few hours later and they were still down. I checked that late afternoon and it was down too.

I didnt know it was the homepage only. I thought it was the whole site cuz i cudnt access any other part without going to the homepage! sry if i got it wrong.

Another thing is, is that godaddy domains are $7.20 for me ($2 coupon). Namecheap are $7.99 (with coupon). I know it isnt much, only 80 cents, but after you get 9 or ten domains, it would be like getting a free domain, if u get what i mean.

Perhaps if Namecheap considered making a coupon to go as low as $7.25 after the ICANN fee, i would switch to them as well...

Perhaps if Namecheap considered making a coupon to go as low as $7.25 after the ICANN fee, i would switch to them as well...
    What ICANN fee? Either NC doesn't charge one, or they've already added it in.
    Not ONLY don't they charge an "ICANN" fee, but, oh yeah, they're cheaper than godaddy, without coupons.

New Domains:
    Namecheap:
    .info? 2.88/yr
    .com,net,org,biz,co.uk,org.uk,us? 8.88 /yr

Godaddy:
    .info? 5.99/yr
    .com,net,org,biz,co.uk,org.uk,us? 9.20/yr (after the "ICANN" fee).

Yet another thing to love about Namecheap. No "hidden fees".

Ok and after the 10% coupon in namcheap it goes down to $7.99 and with the coupon for godaddy it goes down to $7.20 .

Last time i check 7.20 is less than 7.99, dunno about you tho.

Right, but specials and coupons don't last forever.
    day to day pricing is what to go by, not some special or coupon that ends who knows when

Mmm yea see this coupon has been out a loooong time, over 1 year now. and as far as i can tell, its not going anywhere, lest godaddy wishes to risk losing customers

Namecheap, no compromise !

G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

I checked early on in the day and my friend checked a few hours later and they were still down. I checked that late afternoon and it was down too.

I didnt know it was the homepage only. I thought it was the whole site cuz i cudnt access any other part without going to the homepage! sry if i got it wrong.

Another thing is, is that godaddy domains are $7.20 for me ($2 coupon). Namecheap are $7.99 (with coupon). I know it isnt much, only 80 cents, but after you get 9 or ten domains, it would be like getting a free domain, if u get what i mean.

Here's a non- biased thread on the subject that shows the site was not down as long as you say: http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-...ight=namecheap

Like I said, let's keep the facts straight.

Regarding the coupon, we enjoy being a profitable company unlike someone else being discussed here.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-12-2006 at 02:31 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Please, where do I get this coupon

Ok and after the 10% coupon in namcheap it goes down to $7.99 and with the coupon for godaddy it goes down to $7.20 .

Last time i check 7.20 is less than 7.99, dunno about you tho.
    Where and how do i make use of this coupon. Have registered up to 10 domains with godaddy(not at once) but never made use of any coupons.

Also, I have problems accessing godaddy from my computer. It also happens with other networks too. You can imagine me going looking for a network that can access godaddy website whenever I want to manage domains. I will definitely look into Namecheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvage
    Where and how do i make use of this coupon. Have registered up to 10 domains with godaddy(not at once) but never made use of any coupons.

Also, I have problems accessing godaddy from my computer. It also happens with other networks too. You can imagine me going looking for a network that can access godaddy website whenever I want to manage domains. I will definitely look into Namecheap.
    I would recommend switching to namecheap, but if you search Google for something like "GoDaddy coupons" I am sure you will find something.
    ||||
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    ||||

both seem good in my oppinion though I do like it that go daddy has 24/7 phone support.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

To me, there's only one problem with namecheap so far: Support

Typically, I don't need support, but when I do, well, it's usually a pretty decent thing.
    Case in point:

Last week (Tuesday), I ordered an SSL cert from them. The order process went through, the card was charged, but the certificate link wasn't sent in email.

When trying to activate the certificate manually, on their website, I saw that there was a "system error" with the certificate and the order itself.

Thinking it might have been something with the order (I didn't fill in the subdomain/domain), I attempted another order. Again, it was charged, and again, it gave the same response.

Because this was an urgent issue (the cert had already expired), I mailed them and told them to refund my money and I would go elsewhere. I was mailed and told it would be refunded.

Knowing it would take a few days to get credit back, I ordered a cert from ev1, got it taken care of and sorted.

After a week, with no refund, I mailed them (again) on Monday. No response. Again, on Tuesday, and again Yesterday. Response? No response. Filling out their contact form, response? Nothing

Cheap prices are good, but without support, especially in cases like this, well, it's just not good. Maybe this is an isolated incident as (usually) response isn't bad, but, it's kind of irritating to have to contact a CC company just to get funds back that the company should refund, not the CC company.

Ive always used GoDaddy, may have to try namecheap out...

I went from GoDaddy to NameCheap and it's a lot better, cleaner, no pressure for the constant superfluous service sale, etc. And GoDaddy's owner looks like a creep to me, of the Foley kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast