Question Dedicated server capacity

Hello all,

I'm new in dedicated server.I've readed few ads here just curious how good is a server with this kind of specs:

Let's say

AMD Athlon,Sempron or Celeron
    (Which one is better actually? I know that celeron is not that good)

512 Mb DDR ram
    (Is this enough? What's the minimum ram recommended?)

120Gb 7200rpm hdd
    (What's the best choice? SATA or SCSI ? I really don't know about this ...)

and

100Mbps port
    (Is this fast enough? I've no idea. .)

Let's say i wanted to offer web hosting service
    Will it be able to host:

240 web sites (500mb space with 5Gb bandwith)
    120 web sites (1Gb space with 10Gb bandwith)
    80 web sites (1.5Gb space with 15Gb bandwith)

Should i allow video files or mp3s ? Can i put this numbers of web sites in a server?

Thank you.

Athlon is the best. 512meg is definately not enough. I would go with 2gb min. As for the hard drive, I know alot of people would go with the SCSI's because of speed, however, I've had more of those crash to the point of being totally unrecoverable than any other drive type. So personally I would go with the SATA. The speed difference isn't much, if any. 100mb port is pretty standard, your not going to get much faster.

240 web sites (500mb space with 5Gb bandwith)
    120 web sites (1Gb space with 10Gb bandwith)
    80 web sites (1.5Gb space with 15Gb bandwith)

This is a harder question. In theory, you should be fine. But I've had servers I could host several hundred customers on and have really low loads. On the other hand, i've had other situations where one or two sites brought in so much traffic or used so much cpu they needed to go dedicated themseves. Overall, I think you'll be good.
    http://www.compunetcentral.com
    CompuNet Communications, Inc. - Reliable, Professional Web Hosting Solutions.
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover & PayPal accepted!
    Web Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated Servers with 24/7 Support

Athlon is the best, because unlike the others, it's not a budget CPU. Depending on the amount of sites you run, 1gb should do you, i personally like SATA, as SCSI can be temperamentable. 100mbps port is fine for hosting. I personally do not normally allow media, but say that if you wish to host it, contact me and i'll consider it, this tends to avoid pirate mp3 hosting.
    █ Tech-Hosts
    https://www.tech-hosts.co.uk
    █ UK Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

Increase RAM to 1GB at least, use faster drives (as fast as your budget allows).
    Its not un-common to see P4 3+ Ghz with few hundred sites.
    Larger boxes like high end dual xeons with scsi raid and lots of ram have no problem with 1500+ sites.
    Before getting everyone all upset here are the disclosures
    1- All of this depends on your users, the amount of resources they use, etc.
    2- OS is also very important
    3- choice of control panels is another issue.
    If you run all services on 1 box then try to host fewer sites. If you have mail, web, sql on their own boxes you can put a lot of users on web servers with very few users causing issues.

I would never recommend P4 3Ghz for 500 sites it was just an observation. I would personally use the high end servers, saves time and money in the long run.
    Last edited by thekia; 09-10-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Thank you all for the replies,

So recommended specs is (For budget at max $100/month) :

Athlon
    1Gb ram
    Sata hdd
    100mbps port

ok,let's say the numbers of sites that will i host in one box is 240 web sites
    (All of them using average amount of resources)

Will it run smoothly? What's the typical problems while handling large numbers of account? System resources?

It's normal to have system/hdd crash ?

Have you looked into reseller hosting at all? I'm guessing that might be a better fit for what you are looking to accomplish.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Definitely take spaethco's advice and look into reseller hosting. Starting off with dedicated would be overwhelming since you are not experienced. If you insist on going with dedicated, make sure to go with a "managed" package, and be sure that they have actual live help 24/7 because you'll be relying on their support team to do the things you do not know how to do--like fulfilling requests from clients (some of whom may know more than you do at this point).
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Quote Originally Posted by kewlceo
    Definitely take spaethco's advice and look into reseller hosting. Starting off with dedicated would be overwhelming since you are not experienced. If you insist on going with dedicated, make sure to go with a "managed" package, and be sure that they have actual live help 24/7 because you'll be relying on their support team to do the things you do not know how to do--like fulfilling requests from clients (some of whom may know more than you do at this point).
    Yes,i do have reseller account.I'm still learning many thing in web hosting administration.I need to learn them fast. . .

My question right here is in general because i'm curious,maybe after one year i'll consider to have a dedicated server

Quote Originally Posted by rontol
    Yes,i do have reseller account.I'm still learning many thing in web hosting administration.I need to learn them fast. . .

My question right here is in general because i'm curious,maybe after one year i'll consider to have a dedicated server
    I see. Very good idea mate. The more you can learn about security, data backups, data restoration, and your OS, the better. If you have an older computer gathering dust, you can turn it into a server and play hard on it without fear of screwing up things for others.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting