Question Top 10 security tips on handling reseller account

Hello all,

Recently i just bought a reseller account to offer web hosting service in my country.Just curious what security steps that must i take while handling my reseller account and future client accounts.

From what i've read there's potential damage from trojans,virus,evil script or maybe brute force.

The top 10 list . . anyone?

This is more for your own security on a reseller account:

You can't control what other resellers do, the best bet is protect your clients.
    Assume the other resellers on the server could care less.

Screen users before giving them access to the server. But thats no guarantee other resellers are doing that. Follow links, run a search on that signup email address, through both google and google groups. Do the same for the domain name and any other information you have. If you suspect anything send them an email with some trivial question or ask them to verify their phone number to see if they respond. If they do check the headers. If they respond with a different free email address thats another red flag. If you still suspect ignore any further contact. Learn to spot irregularities. Put some unexpected question in the order form and watch how it gets answered. Something a lot of people would leave blank. Alternate Fax __? Fraudsters usually try to fill everything out. If you see someone fill that out its time to look a little closer at them.

Every fraudulent account I ever had, I can remember suspecting it was.

Check the accounts files an hour after sending the login information. Check it again maybe 10 hours later.

Tell the host any suspicions you may have on your clients activities.

Take regular backups of all client accounts. Daily if possible. And have them on a fast server. Not on a home computer with a dial up connection.

Be ready to move quickly by using off server dns or custom nameservers for the websites, and already know what host is your backup plan.

If anything goes wrong that looks lengthy - change the IP's on your nameservers and push that day's backups from the fast server mentioned above and ask the host to run their daily backup restore tool, if possible. Or get them set up quickly yourself.

Hurry up and make enough to pay for a dedicated server, and an admin if needed.

What's the best way to backup data? Have 2 reseller accounts ?

How to protect our reseller account against evil scripts,virus and trojans?
    For example if someone bought an account from me,and he decided to test my admin skills or someone hired him to bring me down.

How to check if they put media files or not? (mp3s and video files)

Thank you.

What's the best way to backup data? Have 2 reseller accounts ?

2 reseller accounts and some kind of dns failover service like dnsmadeeasy.com offers would prevent a lot of downtime, if there was a lot at one time. It wouldn't much but cause confusion if downtime was short on a high traffic site. People on the site would think it was down. People just visiting the site would see it, mail would go to either server at any particular moment. And syncing two reseller accounts and making sure they stay synced would probably only work great on paper. In real life there would be glitches all the time.

How to protect our reseller account against evil scripts,virus and trojans?
    For example if someone bought an account from me,and he decided to test my admin skills or someone hired him to bring me down.

Not much you can do about it, but the odds of that scenario happening to you are pretty slim. A good set of recent backups being installed on another server at a host you had lined up would fix it pretty quick - as long as the old server isn't handling the dns for the sites.

How to check if they put media files or not? (mp3s and video files)

You don't. When you rent a house, does the landlord come in every day to make sure you are obeying the law. If you call someone does the governmen.... nevermind bad analogy.