Thumbs down Terrible Host - webhostingfactory.com

Hi guys - I signed up with a webhost a few months ago (webhostingfactory.com) who at the time had a $49 special for 1gb storage 5gb etc etc etc.

The first few months were quite good with no real problems at all, in the last few months heres a list of things that have happend:

1 - Constantly unable to check email because it times out (load averages of 2.0 - 3.0 seem common on their servers).

2 - Constantly unable to login via ftp due to timeouts (related to the above point)

2 - Server appears to only ever be up for about 1 day and then is reset.

3 - A few weeks ago a 4 hour outage without notification or response to support emails on this topic.

4 - No response via online support system (which has since been taken down) to any emails requesting why they're so hopeless.

In summary I would suggest to avoid this "organisation" at all costs, they're hopeless.

Matt

Re: Terrible Host - webhostingfactory.com

Originally posted by mattonline
    Hi guys - I signed up with a webhost a few months ago (webhostingfactory.com) who at the time had a $49 special for 1gb storage 5gb etc etc etc.

The first few months were quite good with no real problems at all, in the last few months heres a list of things that have happend:

1 - Constantly unable to check email because it times out (load averages of 2.0 - 3.0 seem common on their servers).

2 - Constantly unable to login via ftp due to timeouts (related to the above point)

2 - Server appears to only ever be up for about 1 day and then is reset.

3 - A few weeks ago a 4 hour outage without notification or response to support emails on this topic.

4 - No response via online support system (which has since been taken down) to any emails requesting why they're so hopeless.

In summary I would suggest to avoid this "organisation" at all costs, they're hopeless.

Matt
    Wow.. I signed up with them about 3 years ago and had the same experience. I won (if you want to call it that) a year of service with them on EBay for 49.99 sign up all was ok until I asked a question. I ended up sending about 30 requests to get Frontpage extensions installed which all went unanswered. After about 3 weeks I decided to go hunting find this guy and get my money back. What I did was do a whois on him got his 800 number which ended up being a voicemail.. left a couple messages and got no call back.. so I made it a daily chore to email AND leave voicemails 5-10 times a day just to piss him off the the point to where he might give me my refund or atleast I would get some type of response. Which did not work so I called the BBB where he lives.. (Texas is I remember correctly) we needless to say they contacted him and he also ignored them.. about two weeks later after doing my daily email and voicemails I got a credit to my paypal account from them.. So needless to say it was a long battle but I did win on that one.. Now you would think I would have learned there but NO i decided to go back to ebay and find another cheap host.. this time i stumbled apon freeboost.com which to make a long story short I ended up with the same type of host but this time I was too tired from before to bother.. I ended up getting my own server because they were cheap and so I could do everything by myself and not have to ever wait around for support again.. here I am two years later doing it as a full time business.. So I guess out of all this the message we need to learn is that you get what you pay for so cheaper is not always better and if you do decide to take the cheap way out be prepared for the outcome. I hope you have better luck finding a new host and this is the prefect place to find one.. good luck..

More information

Hi guys - many of you would have seen my post a few weeks back regarding webhostingfactory.com - I'd like to post some more information.

Many of you would be interested to know that webhostingfactory.com also have another webpage they "attempt" to sell their "service" through - hostingtogo.com (Domain registered 2nd June 2002)

The following domains also appear to resell webhostingfactory.com (not a complete list, just ones I found with ease)

altecwebhosting.com - (domain registered 4th March 2002)

ezsitehosting.com - (domain registered 3rd October 2001)

hostingyourbusiness.com (domain registered Dec 13 2001)

ozhostmax.com (domain registered 22nd May 2002) Not operating yet, but their other site ozconsortium.com suggests they are about to start offering webhosting)

All these domains were hosted on the same machine I was hosted on with my domain (I counted a total of 208 domains - some of which werent active)

As mentioned earlier, massive load averages and a system uptime which would be better measures by downtime results.

Here's the massive system stats all this runs with.

model : 13
    model name : AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
    stepping : 4
    cpu MHz : 448.220
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    sep_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep pge mmx 30 3dnow
    bogomips : 894.57
    temperature : 30.5
    system type : RaQ3/4

It would appear the little blue pizza box just can't cope.

Make up your own minds. :>

P.S - I emailed Mike from webhostingfactory.com on the 19th June 2002 requesting he cancel my account etc because I had moved hosts (after prepaying for a year) and haven't heard a thing back from him.

Matt

mattonline: If you still have your account upload phpSysInfo (http://phpsysinfo.sourceforge.net) and show us the URL.
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

Done

Ok - Here are the System Stats Page (This is the server which has 280 sites on it - All not active - but each as 1Gb Storage Space - AHAH)

http://66.33.71.87/stats/

Matt

563MB free disk space? geez thats tiny!
    /me is waiting for the load adverages to go high

It wont take long

You won't have to wait too long for the load averages to shoot up, I've never ever seen load averages as high as they are on this crap machine. :>

(And the timing out POP3 server, ftp etc etc which goes along with it) :>

Matt

Re: It wont take long

Originally posted by mattonline
    You won't have to wait too long for the load averages to shoot up, I've never ever seen load averages as high as they are on this crap machine. :>

(And the timing out POP3 server, ftp etc etc which goes along with it) :>

Matt
    load adverages are going up now
    the 300mb free space on the /home partition isn't enough to even have 1 more account on the server
    its only worth hosting 20-50 sites on those raqs that they use

They are such scam artists it's not even funny.

We do custom sofware development, design, etc, and
    years ago just starting out we bought three accounts on their crap raq's, after the first few days we tried to get a refund, they never gave up one cent. (so much for the 30 day guarantee)

The uptime was horrible, their servers were down more than they were up (probably because the load average was 30.0%+ all the time.)

Storage space, they had maybe 18GB per raq, and were selling 250+ accounts with 1GB storage each - per raq.

Now heres a suprise.

They are the reason we got into the hosting business!

Why, because scam artists really stink. I personally hate to be taken, or see someone get taken for a ride.

Honesty and Integrity go a long way in the world, it pays off
    in the long run, even if it takes longer to get established (rather than offering something you do not really have).

We knew we could not only provide fast, reliable hosting solutions, and top notch customer support, none of which web hosting factory ever provided, yet they were apparently somewhat successful...very sad.

So, yes, we got scammed out of roughly $200.00, but the fact that they are such a terrible hosting provider actually made us
    get into the hosting business.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad and move on, but we did get even by logging into telnet and getting every single domain name hosted by them, added webmaster@ to all domains and sent a public complaint mail to all their customers.

Call it spam if you want, but when you don't get what you pay for, get ignored, and get no refund, I'd call it sweet revenge if anything... I think they worked harder that week than they ever did in their entire hosting career.

Just on a closing note, stay clear of www.hostseller.com
    this is yet another alias for the scum of the earth, web hosting factory.
    Last edited by Internet8000; 07-05-2002 at 02:30 AM.

Yes

Originally posted by Internet8000
    They are such scam artists it's not even funny.

<snip>

Now heres a suprise.

They are the reason we got into the hosting business!

Why, because scam artists really stink. I personally hate to be taken, or see someone get taken for a ride.

Honesty and Integrity go a long way in the world, it pays off
    in the long run, even if it takes longer to get established (rather than offering something you do not really have).

We knew we could not only provide fast, reliable hosting solutions, and top notch customer support, none of which web hosting factory ever provided, yet they were apparently somewhat successful...very sad.

So, yes, we got scammed out of roughly $200.00, but the fact that they are such a terrible hosting provider actually made us
    get into the hosting business.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad and move on, but we did get even by logging into telnet and getting every single domain name hosted by them, added webmaster@ to all domains and sent a public complaint mail to all their customers.

Call it spam if you want, but when you don't get what you pay for, get ignored, and get no refund, I'd call it sweet revenge if anything... I think they worked harder that week than they ever did in their entire hosting career.

Just on a closing note, stay clear of www.hostseller.com
    this is yet another alias for the scum of the earth, web hosting factory.
    Yes, I got your email message along with your urls spamming your site, whilst I dislike webhostingfactory i'm not sure I prefered your method of "customer acquisition" - After saying that you couldnt be worse than them.

Matt

Completely understandable, and yes, they will never be in the same league as us, we actually care, for one thing, and they obviously only want to cram as many people on one raq as possible without thinking twice.

oh lol
    Uptime 23 minutes

Hey 23 minutes uptime is a new record

This is because they are using a RaQ. everything on it = old.
    I had a RaQ a couple years ago and the load average was always high. Then the services would start to shut itself down. The machine would be crawling. Then about 15 minutes after the problem was corrected I would get text messages about the problems. I will never use a Cobalt machine again.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: johna11en@hotmail.com | e-mail