hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?
Reply

Forum Jump

I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 PM
emmangel emmangel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5

I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?


I swear, I'm tearing my hair out here!

I've spent the better part of the day trying to get my hotlinking htaccess file to work with no joy. I'm currently with Webfusion who I love (never had any problems with them in 8 years) but I'm thinking it'll just be easier to switch hosts before I go insane trying to fix this issue.

I'm looking for a package that offers around 6GB of space and around 30GB of bandwidth with the option to increase that if needed. The only think it must have is the ability to disable hotlinking via the control panel.

Now, I know Dreamhost offers this, but I've read that they've been less then steller lately, so I was looking for some other options.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Emma



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Cirtex Cirtex is offline
WebHostingTalk Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,392
Hi,

Take a look at the Hosting Offers section here at WHT. Also give the Host Quote feature on WHT a try. Be sure to dig around WHT for reviews, pricing comparison , features etc. Also don't forget to send a sales email and so on.

Good luck with your search.

__________________
CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

  #3  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
RaceJunkie RaceJunkie is offline
Junior Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmangel
I swear, I'm tearing my hair out here!

I've spent the better part of the day trying to get my hotlinking htaccess file to work with no joy. I'm currently with Webfusion who I love (never had any problems with them in 8 years) but I'm thinking it'll just be easier to switch hosts before I go insane trying to fix this issue.

I'm looking for a package that offers around 6GB of space and around 30GB of bandwidth with the option to increase that if needed. The only think it must have is the ability to disable hotlinking via the control panel.

Now, I know Dreamhost offers this, but I've read that they've been less then steller lately, so I was looking for some other options.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Emma
Do you have cPanel? If I remember correctly there is a option to do that.

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
The Stealthy One The Stealthy One is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,093
Hello Emma,

If you have been with your host for 8 years, and this is the first problem you have had, don't you think you should try to resolve it? A better part of today is not long enough to make a choice to switch, imo. I believe you may be jumping the gun.

To have been with your host for so long, it seems apparent you'd be giving up one hell of an experience. Why not try again tomorrow, with a fresh mind? If you continue to have problems, then you may be justified in choosing a new host.

__________________
Daniel B., CEO - x90x.net
Xoomsite.com is now x90x.net

  #5  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Martie Martie is offline
Texas Female
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,689
Have you actually went through your host for support on the hotlinking issue?
You dont mention that you've contacted support about it?

__________________
HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

  #6  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM
emmangel emmangel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
Hi,

Take a look at the Hosting Offers section here at WHT. Also give the Host Quote feature on WHT a try. Be sure to dig around WHT for reviews, pricing comparison , features etc. Also don't forget to send a sales email and so on.

Good luck with your search.
Thnaks for the info, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceJunkie
Do you have cPanel? If I remember correctly there is a option to do that.
I do, but I've taken a look around it and I'll be damned if I can find any hotlinking stuff there. In fact I actually mailed them about it a few months ago, and they said they didn't have that feature, and they didn't support any help with figure the script issues out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
If you have been with your host for 8 years, and this is the first problem you have had, don't you think you should try to resolve it? A better part of today is not long enough to make a choice to switch, imo. I believe you may be jumping the gun.
You do make a good point, and I am going to try to give it another go, but I'm keeping my options open in case nothing comes of it. My hosts won't offer support on figuring out whats wrong with the issue, and I've tired several times over periods of months to get this to work but to no avail. Though it's not an ideal choice, I think unless I find someone who is more skilled than I am in fixing problems, it may evenutally become my only option. But yes, shall try again after some much needed sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie
Have you actually went through your host for support on the hotlinking issue?
You dont mention that you've contacted support about it?
Sorry, forgot that part. Yeah, I mailed them, and they don't offer hotlink blockage, and won't offer support regarding htaccess, well, unless you pay them for it, which is money I just don't have. I appear to be at a dead end sadly.

  #7  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
The Stealthy One The Stealthy One is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,093
Ok, let me get this straight: you don't want to pay your current host, who seems to have been good to you, to help you straighten out a coding problem? But...you would pay for a new host, both in actual dollars, and in the time and hassle required to switch? Now does that really make sense? (Just trying to be helpful...ignore me if I'm not. I'm just hoping to help you think through this one.)

__________________
Daniel B., CEO - x90x.net
Xoomsite.com is now x90x.net

  #8  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Martie Martie is offline
Texas Female
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmangel
Sorry, forgot that part. Yeah, I mailed them, and they don't offer hotlink blockage, and won't offer support regarding htaccess, well, unless you pay them for it, which is money I just don't have. I appear to be at a dead end sadly.

Humm, thats strange. Have you looked up any help links for working with htaccess? I will see if I can locate a few for you.

You arent using Front Page are you?

__________________
HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

  #9  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 PM
emmangel emmangel is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
Ok, let me get this straight: you don't want to pay your current host, who seems to have been good to you, to help you straighten out a coding problem? But...you would pay for a new host, both in actual dollars, and in the time and hassle required to switch? Now does that really make sense? (Just trying to be helpful...ignore me if I'm not. I'm just hoping to help you think through this one.)
I do get your point, it's just they'll want a lot more than what a new host would cost soo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie
Humm, thats strange. Have you looked up any help links for working with htaccess? I will see if I can locate a few for you.

You arent using Front Page are you?
Nope, Dreamweaver. I've tried seveal help topics with it, but to no avail. I think I'll just try again in the morning, and see what happens. *g*

  #10  
Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 PM
The Stealthy One The Stealthy One is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,093
Well, good luck. And please keep us updated. I wish I knew a little bit more about htaccess, as I'd try to help you with that, but I am afraid that I am far from an expert in that area!

__________________
Daniel B., CEO - x90x.net
Xoomsite.com is now x90x.net

  #11  
Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 PM
sea otter sea otter is offline
the cloud is a lie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 793
If you repost the question in the programming section here on WHT, I or someone else can probably solve this for you.

Is the problem with uploading the file from within Dreamweaver? With what to put in it? With it plain not working? With a few more details, we might be able to help.

Also, the file is named .htaccess (with a period on the front). If the period is missing from the file you're uploading, it won't work.

  #12  
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
David David is offline
& Goliath
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 8,866
Emma,

Are you attempting to stop hotlinking or setting up some system to only allow certain hosts in?

The following two first results in google seem to be quite thorough in explanation:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet...ent-hotlinking
http://altlab.com/htaccess_tutorial.html

It will require you to access your host via FTP though.
Good luck and best of luck with your hunt

__________________
David
Fused

  #13  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
SkyNetHosting SkyNetHosting is online now
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
I've spent the better part of the day trying to get my hotlinking htaccess file to work with no joy. I'm currently with Webfusion who I love (never had any problems with them in 8 years) but I'm thinking it'll just be easier to switch hosts before I go insane trying to fix this issue.
I wouldn't recommends moving to a new provider, specially since you are happy with them for 8 years. Try contacting their customer service or belling department (usually these departments are handled by senior staff members or the owners itself) and tell them that you have been with them for 8 years and forced to move to a new provider and explain your issue, I'm sure they would work out something for you.

Keep us posted...

__________________
[ UK. SINGAPORE. USA. INDIA. NETHERLANDS ] WHMCS. End User Support. SSD. Cloud Linux. CloudFlare
MyCompanyWeb Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours!
SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 10 Years in Business!

  #14  
Old 09-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Matt R Matt R is offline
Tech dude
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmangel
Thnaks for the info, I'll check it out.


I do, but I've taken a look around it and I'll be damned if I can find any hotlinking stuff there. In fact I actually mailed them about it a few months ago, and they said they didn't have that feature, and they didn't support any help with figure the script issues out.


You do make a good point, and I am going to try to give it another go, but I'm keeping my options open in case nothing comes of it. My hosts won't offer support on figuring out whats wrong with the issue, and I've tired several times over periods of months to get this to work but to no avail. Though it's not an ideal choice, I think unless I find someone who is more skilled than I am in fixing problems, it may evenutally become my only option. But yes, shall try again after some much needed sleep.


Sorry, forgot that part. Yeah, I mailed them, and they don't offer hotlink blockage, and won't offer support regarding htaccess, well, unless you pay them for it, which is money I just don't have. I appear to be at a dead end sadly.
There is no reason for them to disable the hotlinking features in cPanel. You should ask them to enable it in the package features for your plan as there is no harm in doing so. If they claim that they dont have that option, tell them to run "/scripts/upcp" for the first time in years

Matt

__________________
Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
I'm a lighting designer for Celebrity Cruises. Check out my blog if you want.
I'm in the midst of [redacted] and [redacted] with an expected launch date of [redacted].
Simply put: Server admin, programmer, concert lighting dude.

  #15  
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
David David is offline
& Goliath
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg-matt
There is no reason for them to disable the hotlinking features in cPanel. You should ask them to enable it in the package features for your plan as there is no harm in doing so. If they claim that they dont have that option, tell them to run "/scripts/upcp" for the first time in years

Matt
Matt,

The hotlink protection is actually a feature within cPanel pro.
It's not included in the base cPanel package.

Running upcp will not simply add it.
With that said it doesn't matter whether it's in the panel or not: .htaccess entries can be manually added just the same.

__________________
David
Fused

Reply

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Host Alive Listing 2014-04-16 06:32:14
Host Europe Acquires Telefonica Germany Online Services Web Hosting News 2013-09-13 15:27:43
Host Virtual Expands Cloud Platform with New Location in Seattle Web Hosting News 2013-02-21 10:01:56
New Liquid Web SLA Sets the Tech Support Response Time Bar at 59 Seconds Web Hosting News 2012-09-13 11:49:52
UK Cloud Host Cyber Host Pro Acquires ColdFusion Host Yetihost Web Hosting News 2012-08-15 11:18:39


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?