hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?

Forum Jump

I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 PM

I'm at the end of my rope. Host suggestions please?

I swear, I'm tearing my hair out here!

I've spent the better part of the day trying to get my hotlinking htaccess file to work with no joy. I'm currently with Webfusion who I love (never had any problems with them in 8 years) but I'm thinking it'll just be easier to switch hosts before I go insane trying to fix this issue.

I'm looking for a package that offers around 6GB of space and around 30GB of bandwidth with the option to increase that if needed. The only think it must have is the ability to disable hotlinking via the control panel.

Now, I know Dreamhost offers this, but I've read that they've been less then steller lately, so I was looking for some other options.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Emma

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM
WebHostingTalk Lover

Hi,

Take a look at the Hosting Offers section here at WHT. Also give the Host Quote feature on WHT a try. Be sure to dig around WHT for reviews, pricing comparison , features etc. Also don't forget to send a sales email and so on.

Good luck with your search.

We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmangel
I swear, I'm tearing my hair out here!

I've spent the better part of the day trying to get my hotlinking htaccess file to work with no joy. I'm currently with Webfusion who I love (never had any problems with them in 8 years) but I'm thinking it'll just be easier to switch hosts before I go insane trying to fix this issue.

I'm looking for a package that offers around 6GB of space and around 30GB of bandwidth with the option to increase that if needed. The only think it must have is the ability to disable hotlinking via the control panel.

Now, I know Dreamhost offers this, but I've read that they've been less then steller lately, so I was looking for some other options.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Emma
Do you have cPanel? If I remember correctly there is a option to do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hello Emma,

If you have been with your host for 8 years, and this is the first problem you have had, don't you think you should try to resolve it? A better part of today is not long enough to make a choice to switch, imo. I believe you may be jumping the gun.

To have been with your host for so long, it seems apparent you'd be giving up one hell of an experience. Why not try again tomorrow, with a fresh mind? If you continue to have problems, then you may be justified in choosing a new host.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Texas Female

Have you actually went through your host for support on the hotlinking issue?
You dont mention that you've contacted support about it?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
Hi,

Take a look at the Hosting Offers section here at WHT. Also give the Host Quote feature on WHT a try. Be sure to dig around WHT for reviews, pricing comparison , features etc. Also don't forget to send a sales email and so on.

Good luck with your search.
Thnaks for the info, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceJunkie
Do you have cPanel? If I remember correctly there is a option to do that.
I do, but I've taken a look around it and I'll be damned if I can find any hotlinking stuff there. In fact I actually mailed them about it a few months ago, and they said they didn't have that feature, and they didn't support any help with figure the script issues out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
If you have been with your host for 8 years, and this is the first problem you have had, don't you think you should try to resolve it? A better part of today is not long enough to make a choice to switch, imo. I believe you may be jumping the gun.
You do make a good point, and I am going to try to give it another go, but I'm keeping my options open in case nothing comes of it. My hosts won't offer support on figuring out whats wrong with the issue, and I've tired several times over periods of months to get this to work but to no avail. Though it's not an ideal choice, I think unless I find someone who is more skilled than I am in fixing problems, it may evenutally become my only option. But yes, shall try again after some much needed sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie
Have you actually went through your host for support on the hotlinking issue?
You dont mention that you've contacted support about it?
Sorry, forgot that part. Yeah, I mailed them, and they don't offer hotlink blockage, and won't offer support regarding htaccess, well, unless you pay them for it, which is money I just don't have. I appear to be at a dead end sadly.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Ok, let me get this straight: you don't want to pay your current host, who seems to have been good to you, to help you straighten out a coding problem? But...you would pay for a new host, both in actual dollars, and in the time and hassle required to switch? Now does that really make sense? (Just trying to be helpful...ignore me if I'm not. I'm just hoping to help you think through this one.)

Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Texas Female

Quote:
Sorry, forgot that part. Yeah, I mailed them, and they don't offer hotlink blockage, and won't offer support regarding htaccess, well, unless you pay them for it, which is money I just don't have. I appear to be at a dead end sadly.

Humm, thats strange. Have you looked up any help links for working with htaccess? I will see if I can locate a few for you.

You arent using Front Page are you?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
Ok, let me get this straight: you don't want to pay your current host, who seems to have been good to you, to help you straighten out a coding problem? But...you would pay for a new host, both in actual dollars, and in the time and hassle required to switch? Now does that really make sense? (Just trying to be helpful...ignore me if I'm not. I'm just hoping to help you think through this one.)
I do get your point, it's just they'll want a lot more than what a new host would cost soo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie
Humm, thats strange. Have you looked up any help links for working with htaccess? I will see if I can locate a few for you.

You arent using Front Page are you?
Nope, Dreamweaver. I've tried seveal help topics with it, but to no avail. I think I'll just try again in the morning, and see what happens. *g*

Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well, good luck. And please keep us updated. I wish I knew a little bit more about htaccess, as I'd try to help you with that, but I am afraid that I am far from an expert in that area!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 PM
the cloud is a lie

If you repost the question in the programming section here on WHT, I or someone else can probably solve this for you.

Is the problem with uploading the file from within Dreamweaver? With what to put in it? With it plain not working? With a few more details, we might be able to help.

Also, the file is named .htaccess (with a period on the front). If the period is missing from the file you're uploading, it won't work.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
& Goliath

Emma,

Are you attempting to stop hotlinking or setting up some system to only allow certain hosts in?

The following two first results in google seem to be quite thorough in explanation:

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet...ent-hotlinking
http://altlab.com/htaccess_tutorial.html

It will require you to access your host via FTP though.
Good luck and best of luck with your hunt

Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I wouldn't recommends moving to a new provider, specially since you are happy with them for 8 years. Try contacting their customer service or belling department (usually these departments are handled by senior staff members or the owners itself) and tell them that you have been with them for 8 years and forced to move to a new provider and explain your issue, I'm sure they would work out something for you.

Keep us posted...

Old 09-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech dude

Quote:
Thnaks for the info, I'll check it out.

I do, but I've taken a look around it and I'll be damned if I can find any hotlinking stuff there. In fact I actually mailed them about it a few months ago, and they said they didn't have that feature, and they didn't support any help with figure the script issues out.

You do make a good point, and I am going to try to give it another go, but I'm keeping my options open in case nothing comes of it. My hosts won't offer support on figuring out whats wrong with the issue, and I've tired several times over periods of months to get this to work but to no avail. Though it's not an ideal choice, I think unless I find someone who is more skilled than I am in fixing problems, it may evenutally become my only option. But yes, shall try again after some much needed sleep.

There is no reason for them to disable the hotlinking features in cPanel. You should ask them to enable it in the package features for your plan as there is no harm in doing so. If they claim that they dont have that option, tell them to run "/scripts/upcp" for the first time in years

Matt

Simply put: Server admin, programmer, concert lighting dude.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
& Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hg-matt
There is no reason for them to disable the hotlinking features in cPanel. You should ask them to enable it in the package features for your plan as there is no harm in doing so. If they claim that they dont have that option, tell them to run "/scripts/upcp" for the first time in years

Matt
Matt,

The hotlink protection is actually a feature within cPanel pro.
It's not included in the base cPanel package.

Running upcp will not simply add it.
With that said it doesn't matter whether it's in the panel or not: .htaccess entries can be manually added just the same.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Host Alive Listing 2014-04-16 06:32:14
Host Europe Acquires Telefonica Germany Online Services Web Hosting News 2013-09-13 15:27:43
Host Virtual Expands Cloud Platform with New Location in Seattle Web Hosting News 2013-02-21 10:01:56
New Liquid Web SLA Sets the Tech Support Response Time Bar at 59 Seconds Web Hosting News 2012-09-13 11:49:52
UK Cloud Host Cyber Host Pro Acquires ColdFusion Host Yetihost Web Hosting News 2012-08-15 11:18:39