NIC/Network Errors - Cause for concern?

Just looking for opinions to see if I'm way off base or not. I'm keeping my host's name out of this, as it's not really relevant--I just want to see if I'm over reacting.

The story:

I tried to download a backup today, and was getting ~30KB/sec. I've got 3MB DSL, so I can (and do) get ~360KB/sec.

I tried to get data from other sources, and it was fine...getting it at full speed, ruling out my connection.

I checked my phpsysinfo script to check on load, disk space, etc. I noticed that eth0 had errors... 16,943,697 at the time.

So, I figure that's a problem... a big problem, and most likely the reason I'm downloading slowly. I put the ticket in at 0600. 6 hours later, I get a reply that "Our system engineers are working on this issue and should be resolved shortly". Again, this was ~6 hours after putting in the ticket.

At 9 hours since putting in the ticket, I updated the ticket, asking for an update. Nothing.

At 12 hours since the ticket, 6 hours past the only update on the ticket, I put in another request for info.

The errors are currently at 17,541,011. Rough math says thats ~1,000,000 errors per day, which matches nicely with the current system uptime. That's about 12 errors a second!!

Page loads are fine; fast actually. It's downloading any data that is the problem; if I wouldn't have tried to DL a backup, I may not have noticed.

Now, my questions after all of this is: Should this be a concern? Should it be handled in <12 hours? Should it be a low priority?

I feel frustrated that I'm pointing out that hardware is failing and it seems my host doesn't care. Am I off base?

Thanks for your inputs.
    <!-- Signature goes HERE!!! -->

Yeah I would say that you are not off base. If you want further proof post a test file and see if others duplicate the same throughput.

joetire, you are fine in assuming something is wrong and wanting to get it resolved. An error history like that is just not acceptable. Please keep us updated as to how things go. I hope your host comes through for you....I can't imagine they'd be resting on their laurels with a problem like that!

Good luck, and keep us updated.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

It's very possible that you might be getting collisions in packets, or your providers ISP is having routing issues, or something internal in their network. I've seen this locally with bad network hardware before, where things collide and cause packet loss. That could be what is happening. If it is a hardware issue, it could very well be your network card (if your on a dedicated)

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

To update the story:

Current error count: 17,933,936.

No response from the host. 24 hours since putting in a ticket.

I understand that sometimes on the weekend that things don't get resolved, the 'right' people aren't working, etc.

Maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I'm thinking/making of it; the sites are loading fine, and the server load is low.

All I really wanted was an update of some sort other than a half-hearted canned response. Something along the lines of 'we've reviewed the errors, and feel it can wait until a technician comes in to replace/troubleshoot/etc.'

I updated the ticket asking for a management review. We'll see how it goes.

They should have replied to you by now. You need to try and test the host from other locations in the world to see if it is just you

While I'm concerned about DL speed, I more concerned about the 12 errors per second on the NIC. I'd suspect that the speed problem will go away when the errors go away.

I'll do some more testing this afternoon.

I agree, you should have heard something by this point. I'd hate to think how long it would take for a reply if your site was completely down.

I agree you should have heard something by now. Your host could be having network issues that affect their whole network and not just you. Or... does anyone know if you'll see this kind of thing when the NIC and switch/router/hub are not negotiating with the same speed/duplex? For instance the NIC using 100 full and the switch using 100 half.

Yes, that is a possibility as well.