Widnes, England

RAID with 2 Hard drives

Hello all,

If I want to use RAID with my two 200GB SATA hard drives I would want it so both disks form as one, e.g. half of each data is sent to each hard drive AKA RAID 0.

Is it possible to create partitions on a RAID 0 setup? What is your experience with RAID 0? Is it worth it?

Should I just buy a third hard drive and go with a different RAID option? I would go with RAID 1, however I need more space than 200GB as I have a lot of movies, games, etc.

South Daytona, FL
    With RAID0 your two 200GB drives will form a single logical 400GB drive which you can then partition as you see fit. Please remember a failure of either drive in this configuration will result in the loss of all data. Unless you have a backup there is no way to recover your data after a single drive failure. You will lose a drive and you will lose everything, so if you are determined to go with this set up make provisions to backup your data.
    Also make certain you purchase enterprise quality SATA drives, standard SATA drives are not designed to run 24x7 and will fail all too soon. Also standard SATA drives have built in ECC which is not compatible with most RAID controllers and will cause data corruption and false drive failures (especially under heavy I/O loads).
    Last edited by trau; 09-09-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Under Your Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemik
    Should I just buy a third hard drive and go with a different RAID option? I would go with RAID 1, however I need more space than 200GB as I have a lot of movies, games, etc.

Kinda off-topic, but Tau has answered the question fairly well... I only wanted to mention, don't forget about a backup drive (or drives). You could always get one 400 GB HD for under $200 and use the others as a backup... Acronis (.com) can skedule different backups to external drives... make it simple.

I don't like two drives in my computer... never had any luck with that, for some reason. One always becomes corrupt (eventually)... then again, I move tons of data to and from on a daily basis with many programs open, etc... so it may be better for me with only one drive. Outside of the drive killing over, I've never had any issues with a 1 drive config.
    Last edited by hekwu; 09-09-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

New York, NY
    If you are worried about a drive failing the most reliable setup would be two 200 GB (or perhaps 400 for the OP's case) in RAID 1 (mirroring).
    MediaLayer, LLC - Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I thought RAID 5 would be a better solution, offering the same redundancy as RAID 1 but more efficient. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sheffield, South Yorks
    RAID-5 needs a minimum of 3 drives though, and can be a pain to recover if it all goes wrong in a big way - and generally speaking you'd only really want to do RAID-5 with a hardware controller (Although personally I'd only do any RAID level with a hardware controller).
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Tas, Australia
    I am also a fan of RAID 5 RAID 0 is too risky as already mentioned (if one fails, you'll want to kill yourself)

For performance purposes though, you should try to get a WD Raptor (those 10,000k RPM ones) to install you windows on (and maybe set up RAID 0 on two of these). That'll speed up system performance. And for all your data, store them on slower, cheaper, drives set up in RAID 5.

And like Karl mentioned, use a hardware controller