phony claims (calpop) and maybe others

Well I posted for the first time today cause I saw a post making the claim they know for a fact that calpop has mzima, level3, xo, etc.
    I know for a fact they dont, you can check it out also use looking glass or traceroute from the networks they claim they have and you will see they dont have Mzima, XO, Global Crossing, etc. I dont understand how they can claim this and get away with it. No legal actions, no false marketing, no posts in forums.

The fact is
    1- they dont have mzima.
    2- They have Wiltel/Level3 and Cogent
    3- Their site claims they have Global Crossing and XO which is also not true
    Test your self, use looking glass or do the traceroute from the networks they mention it will go via level3 only why
    1- their Hybrid is bgp announce on level3 and out bound is Cogent only.
    2- their standard is Level3 in Level3 out.
    The reason I am not saying anything about wiltel is as most of you know wiltel has been bought by level3 so after all the merging they will be on 1 network.

They also have the most retarded network, their internal network issues alone is going to spoil it before you get to the upstream provider anyway.
    I have had issues with them finding my server, lag (I have their Xterme bandwidth), STUPID Support and many other issues.
    Prepaid for 1 year so as soon as my year is up I be gone.

Just wondering how colo/ded providers get away with this, the customers for this type of service should be smarter then that I would imagin but apparently not. Legal Action should scare providers from doing this but apparently also not an issue.
    Any comments?

I have a correction to make, a friend of mine mentioned correctly that they have in fact added mzima recently. I checked and that is correct. When they originally had it on their site they did not have the connection so my mistake on mzima.
    They have also removed the wiltel line. So now they are
    1- Level3
    2- Mzima
    3- Cogent

VS before

1- Level3
    2- Wiltel
    3- Cogent

Still a far cry from the number of providers they claim they have

Ah you edited mzima back in.. nm.

If they had them in the past, then maybe they just did not update their website to reflect the changes. That would not be false advertising, atleast not intentional false advertising, and probably not hold up in any suit.

I know no matter how often we update our website(s), we still find info that is out of date or no longer applicable...

Calpop used to show XO routes. Perhaps they're not using XO anymore, or only use it for specific customers willing to pay for the bandwidth. I can't recall anything regarding Global Crossing routes.

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

JWR, Calpop had XO for a couple of months only, about 1 and 1/2 years ago.

Their hybrid bandwidth is according to the website HYBRID: Level3, XO, Cogent, Wiltel, AT&T, MZIMA Reundant Gigabit Mix!

As far as I know they never used to have AT&T. They just recently added mzima, but have been claiming for some time they had it. Also XO they had about 2 years ago but only for a couple of months... And they they dont have globalcrossing...

There is nothing much you can do about it but making people aware of this and the business practices/network issues you experienced... And hopefully people will see the light

their entire network is down at this moment
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

thekia; I wasn't trying to defend calpop, just mentioning that they used to have XO.

According to ASN info they're only talking to cogent and level3, but that may be a little out of date.

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Quote Originally Posted by inteltechs
    their entire network is down at this moment

Indeed. Looks like that mzima addition isn't going so well.....

6 p14-0.core01.sjc04.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.254) 13.662 ms 13.734 ms 13.565 ms
    7 paix.pao01.mzima.net (198.32.176.38) 20.849 ms 17.723 ms 18.154 ms
    8 eos1-23.cr01.lax02.mzima.net (216.193.255.74) 35.337 ms 35.607 ms
    eos2-22.cr01.lax02.mzima.net (216.193.255.162) 22.644 ms
    9 *^C

they had a power issue...
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Their whole data center was out for about 1 hour after I found out, calpop website was down, ticket system was down, could not reach anyone on the phone.
    Then after the hour their site comes back but one of my 2 servers was still down for another hour and half or so till I was able to get hold of them. This is kind of off topic but since the downtime was mentioned here wanted to add my own experience today.
    I be out of there soon so my question still remains how do providers like calpop get away with such false claims?
    Why dont their clients do anything about it?
    Can something be done?
    The fact that they had XO for 2 months does not change the fact that they are advertising Global Crossing and AT&T among others and they never had those. XO was 2 years ago for 2 months does that give them the right to advertise having it! I would not think so.

Calpop is Horrible. Lynn (The Owner) and Maria (some half-educated secretary they employ) will both tell you that you should "get insurance to help recover your money" you will lose - because their network is so bad. How in the world can you tell someone that?

I was with them for a year and decided to switch to Server Beach who has a great network in LA. Never ever had any issues with Server Beach and we now rent 11 servers from them in LA and Virgina.

Calpop has went down the drain.

Exclamation

hi

I was with them a year and half ago and switch to multacom (multacom.com). I used to have so much down time with them and now since I switched to multacom my uptime has been 100% since I moved to them 1 1/2 years ago. Also they kept telling me their network has all the providers they say on their site but that was not true. After switching my customers are happy now with my connection and I have customers from all parts of the world.
    before when I was at calpop network uptime, network latency was a major issue my customers used to complain about.

regards

as a mather of fact , they are BW provider at first ... they have real bw , fast , reialble. i have an upload center there that is using 4-5 TB BW in a month. and i had never feel slow in their network

I asked a few people outside of this forum as well and it seems that not much can be done.
    You maybe able to bring legal action if you have the time and patients.
    Carriers like XO and Global Crossing don’t seem to mind that their name is being used.

Also thanks for the recommendations, I actually like one of the recommended hosts and will try them out with one of my servers.

The sad thing is there are many other providers on here that offer bandwidth and backup systems that do not have them in place. The customers do not listen nor do they care until there is an outage. There is one provider that is having a 5 minute planned power outage outage in Houston, this coming weekend. They claim on their website to have a 900kva generator but do not, and are having to rent one for the weekend. Knowing this company they will not have that rented generator on site but will just have it on stand by for this event.

GO FIGURE, the customers just don't care most of the time. That is until something really bad happens, then there are a lot of customers that just will listen.

We have had zero major issues with calpop. The only issues we've seen in nearly a year with them have been:

1) They forgot to plug in our ethernet cable after maintenance somehow.
    2) They failed to limit the port to the correct speed for our system on their router.
    3) They did #2 again a day later.

Each of those was about a 10 minute fix. The network has been beautiful ever since we started.

However -- I am unable to force an AT&T paths or XO paths to our system there... I don't think they use best-path routing. I think their BGP mix is mainly for failover for the hybrid network.

They (most likely) do not use GBLX transit:

Code:
      1 ge4-1-0-226-1000M.ar4.PHX1.gblx.net (67.17.64.89) 4 msec 0 msec 0 msec
      2 pos3-2-2488M.ar2.LAX2.gblx.net (67.17.95.206) 8 msec *  * 
      3 te-4-1.car4.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (4.68.110.65) 8 msec 24 msec 8 msec
      4 ae-12-55.car2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (4.68.102.141) [AS 3356] 12 msec
        ae-12-51.car2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (4.68.102.13) [AS 3356] 12 msec 8 msec
      5 unknown.Level3.net (63.209.82.190) [AS 3356] 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec
      6 calpop.com (216.240.152.9) [AS 7796] 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec
    They could be using it for outbound/egress only, but I doubt that...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by guarnibl
    However -- I am unable to force an AT&T paths or XO paths to our system there... I don't think they use best-path routing. I think their BGP mix is mainly for failover for the hybrid network.
    Reason is simple they dont have XO or AT&T for any bandwidth (hybrid or otherwise). They do have Mzima, Cogent, Level3.
    If you are on their hybrid bandwidth you get in everything except cogent and out only cogent.
    Their xtreme bandwidth is the higher priced providers.